Kelsey Grammer Reveals Why He Divorced Fame-Hungry Camille

Mon, August 27, 2012 8:30am EST by 24 Comments 18,211 Article Views
Kelsey Grammer Oprah Interview
Courtesy of OWN

In his first interview with new wife Kayte Walsh, Kelsey told Oprah that Camille ‘always wanted to be famous’ and their marriage was ‘over as soon as it began.’

Kelsey Grammer has suffered immense tragedy in his life including the brutal murder of his sister, Karen, the loss of his twin son with new wife Kayte Walsh and the ongoing battle between he and ex-wife, Camille Grammer. He discussed it all in a revealing and heart-wrenching interview with Oprah on Oprah’s Next Chapter on Aug. 26.

“I stayed because I’m a stubborn cuss. I was not in it, or happy in it for a long time. It was pretty much over as soon as it began,” Kelsey said of his marriage to Camille.

The actor, 57, refused to mention Camille’s name on camera, but he didn’t shy away from speaking about her.

“She always wanted to be famous,” Kelsey admitted and gave her just that as a sort of parting gift before their divorce.

“I did believe that I owed something to that person,” he said about his appearances on Camille’s reality show, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Then with a hint of sarcasm added, “Because she’d given up so much to endure this life with me.”

Kelsey and Camille met at a dark time in the actor’s life. He’d reached a tipping point in his struggle with cocaine, flipping his car before finally seeking help at the Betty Ford Clinic in 1996. The couple then married a year later and had two children, Mason Olivia (2001) and Jude Gordon (2004).

“I don’t want to say bad things, but some very bad things were said, threats were made and extremely unacceptable behavior took place in front of the children,” Kelsey said about the turmoil that occurred at the end of his marriage to Camille.

Oprah eased into the interview with Kelsey with overt praise for his show Boss that he currently stars in on the Starz channel and of course the great success he found playing the character Frasier Crane for 20 straight years.

It was “harder to find a new character to play,” Kelsey said, because the character of Frasier was so big.

Oprah then pressed deeper, revealing his tragedy-stricken life. His sister, Karen, was brutally raped and murdered, his father’s house was set on fire to lure him out of his home and shoot him on the front lawn, and a freak scuba-diving accident claimed the lives of his two step-brothers.

But when Oprah brought Kayte into the interview, Kelsey’s face lit up with happiness. “She’s genuine. She’s real. And knows how to love,” he said of his fourth wife.

Kayte, 25 years Kelsey’s junior, took questions for the first time since her marriage to him in 2011 about their relationship that began before he’d officially left Camille.

“I’m not proud of the way we started out because he was in a marriage. I’m sorry. I have so many emotions. I don’t know how to put it into words,” she admitted.

Kelsey helped her throughout the interview, jumping in to answer questions when Kayte grew nervous. But Kayte just beamed when Oprah asked about their little girl, Faith Evangeline Elisa.

“Motherhood feels great. She’s a really good baby,” Kayte said.

The couple, who met on a plane while Kayte was working as a flight attendant, also spoke of the loss of Faith’s twin brother, who died in utero.

“We had to do a reduction. It wasn’t an easy decision, but we had to do it,” Kayte said about losing the life of their son in order for Faith to live.

The drama between Kelsey and ex-wife Camille isn’t necessarily over, but in the meantime, he’s “happy” with his lovely new wife Kayte and their beautiful daughter.

What did you think Hollywoodlifers? Can Kelsey and Camille share an amicable relationship again for the sake of their children? Let us know below!

[OWN]

– Emily Morgan

Watch More ENTV Videos!

More Kelsey Grammer News

1. Kelsey Grammer’s Wife Gives Birth To Baby Girl
  2. Kelsey Grammer’s Wife About To Pop
  3. Camille Grammer Tells Us: How I Finally Forgave Kelsey Grammer

Liliayan Lockwood

Posted at 9:19 PM on August 25, 2014

First of all,Am just short of words i don’t know what to say,am so grateful to Dr Osaze for what he has done for me at first i thought he was a scam,But i just decided to contact him then he told me that my lover will be back to my arms within 48hours.Really when the 48hours completed my lover called me and said he was sorry,i was so happy that my lover who left me for over 4years called me,Now we are together he can’t do without me he always wants me to be by his side.now he love’s me and he does not want anything to hurt me anymore.My lover even bought me a new car and a gold wristwatch.And now i also have access to his account to prove that he will never leave me alone am so happy all thanks goes to Dr Osaze .if you want to contact him for help here his is private mail “spirituallove@hotmail. com”

Herbert Nenenger

Posted at 10:22 AM on July 25, 2014

I will never understand why women marry men who are cheating on their wives. They know firsthand they don’t hold that institution sacred, so why bother? Do they think they will be immune to their husband’s philandering or that they are truly “the one” and hubby couldn’t possibly cheat on them? delusional. Kelsey will find someone prettier and younger and have an affair and start all over again, have ten children with five different women. It’s all so gross.

Lena

Posted at 9:00 PM on May 20, 2014

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously believe this amazing
site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the advice!

E

Posted at 9:28 PM on September 12, 2013

Kelsey Grammer is a scumbag with no dick control I will never watch his work again. Was a fan, but no more.

wendi barford

Posted at 3:22 AM on August 7, 2013

I feel deep sympathy for the new Mrs Grammer, men like Kelsey never stay faithfull in my opinion and like Camille she will end up on her own holding the baby. even though Kelsey has had a terrible past that is no reason for showing such little respect to his ex wife and 2 children. He should deal with his married issues before moving onto his next conquest.

Barb Searle

Posted at 6:57 AM on July 31, 2013

It’s 2013 and only just got to see TRHofBH here in the UK and get to know about this (LOL sorry ain’t a showbiz person!) – and sorry but I think Kelsey behaved in a despicable way towards Camille. Yeah, know she seemed ‘evil’ on the RH show but they all were and come on!… 13 years and it was ‘over before it had begun’ ?… LOL think someone is fibbing here big-time.. I don’t think so! .. If that was the case then how come it lasted 13 years Kelsey? – Marriage is hard work, looks like he wants the women to do it all for him, selfish man. Here I was thinking what a lovely gentleman he was but he’s just another fickle selfish male trading down cos’ he can’t be bothered to invest in his vows or keep it in his pants. Totally gone off him.

spin

Posted at 5:49 AM on March 19, 2013

wow kelsey has been through so much trauma in his life no wonder he wasn’t happy, we never really know if a person is ideal for you until we find the real person who we are truly happy with, ok kelsey done it round the wrong way like finding a new love while still married but don’t you haters think he has suffered enough? he is only human and makes mistakes like we all do. being rich help’s but don’t replace happiness, unless you have walked a thousand miles in his shoes please dont judge him, camille knew he was a mental mess when she met him and she has had a good life with kelsey, it was good while it lasted only sad that they had kid’s. i have been through enough pain kinda like kelsey and i feel for him, don’t get me wrong im not a fan of kelsey’s but i feel his pain. i hope his marriage last’s till death do they part. god bless america…x

test

Posted at 4:31 PM on March 17, 2013

I real pleased to find this website on bing, just what I was searching for : D besides saved to favorites .

female 2

Posted at 5:41 PM on January 22, 2013

After watching the real housewives i’m surprised he lasted that long he barely mentioned her i’m sure shes had a whale of a time talking to the press about how hard done by she’d been. Camille doesn’t deserve him. I’m glad he found happiness after such a horrible time whether they started their relationship off in the wrong way or not!

Kathleen

Posted at 6:43 AM on January 22, 2013

Kelsy has no right to speak of their divorce!! He left his wife and kids for a woman 25 years younger! He let Kayte speak of their “relationship” before Camille and him even made their split final/public!! Kelsy disgusts me!! I and many others have lost total respect for him!!!

Atipipipi

Posted at 12:53 PM on July 30, 2013

100%agree. You are the only sane person on the planet.

E

Posted at 9:30 PM on September 12, 2013

I agree Kelsey Grammer is a scumbag and his new wife has no scruples.

Milly

Posted at 5:46 AM on January 18, 2013

Why didn’t Kayte & Kelsey get subjected to the vilification that Stewart & Sanders are having to endure?

female

Posted at 2:04 AM on November 24, 2012

HES A HORRIBLE PERSON

chebad

Posted at 3:32 PM on August 28, 2012

Profjpr

Posted at 9:53 PM on February 20, 2013

I’m no fan of Camille, but the way Kelsey handled their divorce was deplorable. You don’t just leave without at least talking it over. I told my husband I was leaving him months before I actually left. I explained the divorce to my children. That’s the ethical thing to do. You don’t lie & just take off. How cowardly. And you don’t stay in a “it was over before it began” marriage for 14 years. Something smells rotten. Probably his lame excuses. What a turd.

chebad

Posted at 3:31 PM on August 28, 2012

It’s not suprising that he felt as though his marriage was over before it began. Him and his ex-wife met at a difficult time period in his life. He probably thought that getting married would make him happy and fill in that void brought on by those tragedies. Not to say that he should’ve used his ex-wife or even to say that he did, just saying that it’s understandable. People do several things to try to fill in the void and escape from the pain. Some use alcohol or drugs, some develop coping mechanisms, and some get involved with various hobbies. Everyone is different. Let’s try to be understanding of everyone.

Profjpr

Posted at 9:59 PM on February 20, 2013

Yeah, chebad…understand how he handled just walking out without an explanation. I’m sure his children will understand it, that’s if he ever sees them again.

sharon

Posted at 5:13 PM on August 27, 2012

I think it is very disrespectful for him to speak of his marriage. He has no respect for his kids, he said his marriage was a over before it started, have messed up is that.

chebad

Posted at 3:25 PM on August 28, 2012

It was very disrespectful of him? Are you serious? He didn’t even use her name. He was giving honest answers about his side of the story. Is he not allowed to tell his side of the story? Camille went on the Today Show after her divorced and talked about her husband had left her for another woman. She did several interviews before he even did this “one”. Was that not disrespectful towards their kids? Who had to look at the interviews that their mother did that were very bashing towards their father?

Their are two sides to every story, this interview was telling his side of it. He didn’t use her name, in fact, only a small part of his interview was dedicated to his marriage with his ex-wife.

ajkfnkjanja

Posted at 12:10 PM on August 27, 2012

I’m a doctor, 55,rich but still single.It’s hard to get a girlfriend in my town ,most of them like my money more than like me.I just want to find my true love.so i uploaded my hot photos on ŖićhW00C0m. under the name of craig.u dont have to be a millionaire,but u can meet one there. ..if you girls see this comment,i hope you will check my photos out there.maybe you are the one whom i’m looking for!!LOL

YesNOYes

Posted at 2:03 AM on December 13, 2012

Go AWAY !!!!

Profjpr

Posted at 10:08 PM on February 20, 2013

Hey, supposed doc…there are other places for your lame ad. Try a dating service. What a loser.

BethAnn France

Posted at 3:56 PM on August 7, 2013

Why do people believe they can judge others, until we walk in his shoes, can we judge another. I loved his show, Frasier. Kelsey suffered a horrible childhood and now as an adult, he has suffered still more. Frasier is still running on the Hallmark channel and I watch the show every night it is on. I need that humor to relax, be able to laugh and feel good before I sleep. I loved all of the actors and actresses on the Frasier show. Niles and Fraiser were great as a team. I wish the best for all of them. Does anyone have a heart these days?