‘RHONJ’ Jacqueline Laurita: My Son Nicholas Has Autism

Wed, August 22, 2012 2:39pm EDT by 6 Comments
Jacqueline Laurita son Nicholas
Getty

The ‘Real Housewives of New Jersey’ star opened up about her son’s autism diagnosis, and how she and her family are working to support little Nicholas.

Jacqueline Laurita, 42, is known as the bubbly and outgoing mom of three on The Real Housewives of New Jersey. But when her youngest son Nicholas began experiencing odd behavior and a regression of speech and motor skills, the reality star hid her son’s health problems from the cameras — and focused on finding out what was wrong.

At just one year old, Nicholas could feed himself with a spoon and would regularly say, “I love you mommy,” Jacqueline told People.

But at 15 months old, she started noticing his speech and motor skills were falling behind. By 18 months, it became a bigger issue.

“He wasn’t answering to his name or noticing people come into the room. He couldn’t follow a simple command,” she said.

“He wouldn’t say ‘I love you.’ We had no idea what was going on,” he told the magazine, fighting off tears.

After seeing several doctors and a waiting period that seemed like forever, the Lauritas got the official diagnosis — Nicholas has autism.

“It breaks my heart knowing what he may go through,” Jacqueline said. “I worry about him being independent when he’s older.”

Jacqueline and her husband Chris Laurita, 46, sought treatment right away, knowing that early intervention is key.

Although the cause of autism is unknown, Jacqueline and her husband chose the path of treatment they felt was best for Nicholas. He has a daily therapy session, and sticks to a dairy-free and gluten-free diet.

Jacqueline, who is also a mom to Ashlee, 21, and CJ, 10, says she and her husband see improvements in his daily activities, as well as his behavior.

“I know they say a lot of autistic kids are not affectionate, and I don’t know how god allowed it, but he’s always hugging and kissing me,” she said. “I’m so glad about that. It would have been tragic to lose that.”

How inspiring. We are so happy to hear that Jacqueline and her family

HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

Jacqueline

Posted at 9:13 PM on January 2, 2013

Jacqueline and Chris I wish you the best of luck! Nicholas is going to be fine. God is always in control! Remember that when it gets tough! Love you guys!

Joann

Posted at 3:51 PM on October 8, 2012

Jaqueline and Chris I wish you all the best, I will be saying prayers.

Piia

Posted at 2:14 AM on October 1, 2012

Jaqueline and family I wish everything best ,he is the most loving little boy ever I did start crying when u reveal the news ,I have two beautiful kids and I know how u feel
My thoughts and prayers.

Just Me

Posted at 12:26 AM on September 28, 2012

how dare you judge her for going to one event and doing somehing for herself!! she is ALWAYS with her child and ALWAYS worried about her kids…you don’t know what she is going through and obviously you really don’t give a sh** about your grandson having autism as if its no big deal!! get a new heart cuz the one you have is COLD!

jj

Posted at 10:59 AM on September 24, 2012

a lot of our kids have autism and while I am sorry that you have to go through this, I think that you are making it newsworthy when its not. My grandson has autism and he is not in the news. Jacqueline, deal with this and stop worrying about Theresa. Last nite you should have been home with your son instead of trying to get in the middle of all the BS that is really none of your business considering Theresa and Melissa is NOT your family. Caroline and your family should just leave it alone and worry about your own.

jj

Posted at 11:02 AM on September 24, 2012

PS cry for the baby, not for Theresa!!!!!