‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Tue, July 31, 2012 11:06pm EDT by 85 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

The first season of ‘Jane By Design’ came to a close with surprise twists, new beginnings & one major cliffhanger! (This show NEEDS a second season.)

When Jane By Design creator April Blaitold me everything would be “put in jeopardy” for Jane (Erica Dasher) on the July 31 summer finale, I didn’t realize what an understatement that really was. While Jane began the hour with a major victory in London, she ended it with a disappointing realization about Billy (Nick Roux) — and a very uncertain future at Donovan Decker!

I think the best way to break down the drama is to take things couple by couple, beginning with…

BEN & RITA: As promised, Ben (David Clayton Rogers) made his triumphant return home this week, but he didn’t just do it for Jane! He also professed his love for Rita (Smith Cho), who returned his affections by interrupting his baseball practice with some intense PDA. I really hope Whitemarsh High doesn’t have rules against co-workers dating, because these two are headed in an adorable direction and I don’t want them to stop. Ever.

INDIA & JEREMY: Though Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) agreed to deliver his drawings to Harrod’s, he drew the line at returning to Donovan Decker in New York. So India (India de Beaufort) did the only thing she could: She flew to England to win back her bloody bloke! We were left with a cute scene between the “couple” in Jeremy’s family’s pub, and even though India begged him to return to Donovan Decker with her, he really seems resistent to the idea.

JANE & ELI: In a surprising turn of events, especially for this show, Eli (Bryan Dechart) came clean to Jane about sleeping with someone else. Granted, he didn’t say who he slept with, but even a half-confession is a sign of serious progress. And while Jane was understandably upset, she also recognized that she and Eli weren’t exclusive, and she certainly gave him enough reasons to seek attention from another girl. Besides, she had Billy to think about! Which leads me to…

JANE & BILLY: I’m not going to lie, I think the promos for this episode totally over-hyped Billy’s “decision” between Jane and Zoe (Mariah Buzolin). At no point did Billy actually have to choose between the two — he’s clearly head-over-heels in love with Zoe right now — but it did break my heart to see Jane as she watched Billy play Prince Charming to Zoe’s Cinderella. She finally realized how much she loves him, a realization that arrived about eight episodes too late, unfortunately.

JANE & HER CAREER: As if watching Billy and Zoe together wasn’t hard enough, Jane was served a double dose of “FML” when Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli came backstage to meet the genius behind the play’s costumes. The episode ended with Jane and Gray standing face-to-face, and I can’t imagine how Jane can possibly explain her way out of this disaster. (Oh, who am I kidding? This is Jane we’re talking about! She’s gotten really good at lying.)

How do you feel about the way the finale ended? Do you wish Jane had told Billy how she really feels? Are you bummed Jeremy refused to come back to New York? And how do you think Jane can possibly weasel her way out of this mess? Drop me a comment with your personal review of the summer finale!

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design News:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Billy’s Decision & 5 More Spoilers
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: Disaster Strikes Jane’s First Date With Eli
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: A Surprise Proposal Leaves Jane Speechless

Karen

Posted at 1:48 AM on September 13, 2012

I am sadden to hear the show has been canceled. I so don’t want to see it go, I loved it! It was so fun to watch and made me laugh all the time. It was such a feel good show for me. I was always looking forward to seeing the next show. It just doesn’t make sense to take a well liked show off the air?. I was so bummed there wasn’t another episode after the 18th. I just have basic TV channels so I’ve been watching on Netflix so I had no idea it was canceled until now. Please, please bring it back. The show deserves to be on air. I absolutely loved the cast. They are the ones who made the show. I want to know what’s going to happen next! :)

Zully

Posted at 6:21 AM on September 5, 2012

WOW ALL GOOD THING TO KEEP IT GOING AND THEN THEY CAN
CEL WOW!!!!!! Shame on u guys ( ABC Family)

Zully

Posted at 6:18 AM on September 5, 2012

AOW ALL GOOD THING TO MEEP IT GOING AND THEN THEY CANCEL WOW!!!!!! Shame on u guys ( ABC Family)

Sophie

Posted at 11:38 PM on August 30, 2012

The season finale was both amazing and shocking.
I hope so dearly that there will be a season 2.
I might just die if there isn’t..

Louis E.

Posted at 11:38 PM on August 18, 2012

I similarly don’t want Jane to wind up with Billy.But isn’t it possible that Gray would actually be impressed with Jane’s really being so young?(I had hoped earlier that Gray had actually known since near the beginning,but was letting Jane think she had to keep it secret because that would make her work harder).

anne

Posted at 3:15 PM on August 17, 2012

Personally, I don’t like the idea of Billy and Jane becoming romantically involved, they have a wonderful friendship and I hate how the writers always mess those up with the sudden love. A relationship based on pure friendship can also be interesting on tv, there’s no need to complicate it!!! Thus, I hope that Jane will realize she isn’t really in love with Billy and move on, maybe reconcile with Nick.
As for the cliffhanger, I think Jane’ll find her way out of it, saying she was just helping, e.g. as a favour to her brother, or something.

suzuki

Posted at 3:20 PM on August 16, 2012

I truly hope that the writers of this series has Jane “fess up” about the “lies” she has been telling leading her double life. The message this show is sending to teens is that lying is okay if it serves a greater purpose is wrong. This clearly is not a good message to be sending to any child, or adult for that matter. I truly hope she “confesses” and admits she is a student. I hope also that the Gray character will “understand” and perhaps keep her on because of her talent, and her immaturity in telling the truth; but also take Jane under her wing, (a work/job caretaker) and help her deal with her inability to be honest with her actions. I’d like to see more from Rita and Ben as psuedo “caretakers” of Jane also, including hard lessons centered around honesty and truth telling.

Jane & Eli, should end. Here again, the message that the relationship is sending to impressive teens is that you can get an “older guy”, “pretend to be grown-up”, when obviously you cannot measure up. I think their friendship can continue, but no romance until she is graduated from high school.

With Jane and Billy, the message is loud and clear…..if you don’t fess up and tell THE TRUTH to someone that you truly do care for them….how will they know if you care or not? The lesson Jane is learning about not being honest with her feelings is protrayed well. This is a lesson that is difficult to learn as a teen, hard to live by as an adult, and one everyone should take heed about.

Tem

Posted at 4:44 PM on September 20, 2012

Great commentary!

Brenda Eaves

Posted at 9:03 PM on August 15, 2012

I loved the finale… Jane will just say that she volunteers her time to the school and I am sure that Gray will accuse her of stealing designs instead of the credit she deserves and I am sure something will be made about the money thought to be donated by Decker. Then there is the outstanding issue of the real charity event that Gray was suppose to be attending. I am glad that Jane didn’t tell Billy how she was feeling because it would destroy their live long friendship if it goes any further, maybe when she is graduating college they can get married and Jane can start her own design firm. That would make a great finale to the series so we need to keep Jane by design around for a long, long time. I love Andie MacDowell, she has always been one of my favorite actresses and I met her briefly at a hair salon in Ashville, NC and she is as down to earth, practical and educated as they come and I love, love, love her in this role! Keep up the great work folks, this is what ABC Family is all about!

alicia

Posted at 11:07 PM on August 7, 2012

please dont cancel this show it is awesome i love jt and i think jane should still tell billy how she feels and then let whatever happens happens

Noname

Posted at 4:26 PM on August 6, 2012

I think Jane and Eli should be together! Jane and billy should just remain friends! Opposite sex friends don’t always have to be in love with eachother! So billy and Jane should not go further than friends. That’s just what I think :/

Lauren

Posted at 11:42 PM on August 5, 2012

Ive LOOOVED this show since the first show aired!! I think Jane and Billy the tension is a natural thing and honestly kind of hope that if they kiss realize that ewww we are like brother and sister! I want her to see what is in NYC and what other sticky situations she gets herself into. I hope Eli can find out who she really is cause I agree they would make a cute couple:) I can not wait for a second season… ABC Family better not take this show away from me!!

brynn

Posted at 2:09 PM on August 2, 2012

PLEASE TELL ME: will there be another season? if so please notify when! i LOVE this show and i want billy and jane to be together SO SO SOSOSOSOSOOOO bad. and zoe is awesome but the entire time she was in the show i was thinking: “wait i thought you loved jane?” ohhh jane you are too late! but please tell me when it comes back on (or if)

Kim

Posted at 1:34 PM on August 2, 2012

I don’t want Jane By Design to get cancelled! All of my favorite shows (like Make It Or Break It) already were. This is the only show I have to look forward to from ABC Family. The other ones all focus on the same stupid things like drugs and sex. Jane By Design is interesting and different, I know so many people that like it and want to see more seasons. The ending of season one is a major cliff hanger and a second season is highly needed. If this show is cancelled I will definitely no longer be watching the ABC Family network.

vikky

Posted at 1:45 AM on August 2, 2012

Can someone please tell me the song they played during India and Jeremy’s scene?

janifer

Posted at 7:09 PM on August 11, 2012

I am trying to find oout also the song that was played during the pub scene. Did you find out from anyone yet?

Natasha

Posted at 1:16 PM on August 1, 2012

i think since Andie MacDowell (Gray) is leaving the show that she might fire Jane. But then Jane would probably start working with Jeremy.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:40 AM on August 2, 2012

Oh….. is she now…..? ;)

janebydesignfan

Posted at 12:31 PM on August 1, 2012

i really love everything about this show…..i hope season 2 will come sooner!!!

Ashley Dillon

Posted at 10:27 AM on August 1, 2012

i hope they dont cancel this show i love it and i hope if grey does fire jane that jeremy will hire her on his own team..

janebydesignfan

Posted at 12:33 PM on August 1, 2012

i like that…there friendship is cool…but i dont think she will be totally gone on donovan decker..maybe it’s like what happen with india….being back at the company…:)

Karina

Posted at 9:44 AM on August 1, 2012

Jeremy is coming back to NY though. He’s going to make his own label.

Melinda

Posted at 8:23 AM on August 1, 2012

This Episode Was So Heartbreaking, You Can See How Much Jane & Billy Loves Each Other Theres Just Obstacles In The Way To Stop Them From Being Together, I Really Love This Show And I Hope It Return For A Second, Third Etc.. Seasons To Come.

Jess

Posted at 7:53 AM on August 1, 2012

It broke my heart… I really want Jane and Billy together! Everyone knows they love each other..
We really need a season 2, it can\’t end this way. And the show is too good to have only one season.. Fingers crossed..

Thias

Posted at 3:23 AM on August 1, 2012

Heartbreaking season finale ;( I’ve loved the dynamic between Jane and Billy throughout the whole season but Billy and Zoe are just a better match right now. I hope the ratings were high enough to warrant a second season because I’m wanting to see how all these characters on the show develop. Also does anyone happen to know the name of the band that sings the song in the last minutes of the finale? Is it called Make You Happy or Happy? I’ve searched it on YT & Google but can’t find the right artist ;/ I WANT that song badly. Help!

Thias

Posted at 5:39 AM on August 1, 2012

Found it!! Secrets In Stereo -Happy
Such an amazing song!! ;D

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:47 AM on August 1, 2012

Great song! Downloading it now… ;)

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:49 AM on August 1, 2012

“Billy and Zoe are just a better match right now.”

I’m glad you see it that way. Billy & Jane are obviously going to end up down the line, but I think we can enjoy other pairings as they come along.

Jordann

Posted at 5:13 PM on August 1, 2012

I immediate googled the lyrics because I loved the song haha it’s happy by secrets in stereo(:

Maisa

Posted at 9:57 PM on August 1, 2012

Happy by Secrets In Stereo. First thing I looked up after watching it :)

LIGHTS

Posted at 2:11 AM on August 1, 2012

You know that feeling you get when you know there just has to be a next season. Well, I had it, and I will be the first to say im ready to see it. All good is with everyone else, but Jane is the one to have her heart broke and job on the line. Season just ended and im readyto see what happens in the next

ismart

Posted at 1:41 AM on August 1, 2012

i love this show! that last scene when she relizes her feelings toward billy i was like man the timeing really does suck i mean i just wish they could finally get together. SOON! cant wait for deason 2!

Tabby

Posted at 12:04 AM on August 1, 2012

::sigh:: this show! Despite our difference in age, my awful fashion sense and her being not real, I still went on the emotional rollercoaster with Jane yet again. The show is so engaging; there are so many storylines and relationships I’m excited to see unfold. I can’t wait to see how it all plays out!

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:56 AM on August 1, 2012

“Despite our difference in age, my awful fashion sense and her being not real”

I love you.

Alyse

Posted at 11:13 PM on July 31, 2012

It needs a second season! So I have hated Zoe since the first episode she was on and I don’t like her with Billy. It was so sad to watch Jane relize how she feels about Billy after he moved on. I was just like no Billy don’t go to Zoe you wanna be with Jane! I have no clue how Jane’s goig to explain this to Gray and Eli.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:22 PM on July 31, 2012

It’s funny, when I talked to April Blair recently, she said fans didn’t hate Zoe that much. (At least not as much as they hated LuLu… lol). I think she’s a good fit for Billy, but of course, she’s not Jane… :-/

Jane basically got dumped on twice in that last scene, but I’m confident she can weasel her way out. Maybe she’ll tell Gray she’s volunteering because her little sister goes there, and then she’ll have to find some poor freshman to pretend to be related to her. (Fingers crossed for a season 2!)

Jordann

Posted at 5:15 PM on August 1, 2012

I love Jane and billy together, but I think they just don’t have the right timing. I hope this show continues for sure, and my guess is that they won’t get together until or unless the show is being cancelled. The anticipation and excitement that their impossible love creates is what keeps viewers watching. I know that’s what has me so hooked! I do hope that at least Eli knows Jane’s secret so she can have an alliance at work whom she doesn’t have to lie! Plus, they’d be a cute couple until her and Billy figure things out! She should either play it off to grey that she is doing some community service for a local school OR she should be fired and hired by Jermey with the truth out in the open. It’s a tough situation though because her secret in the company is the other dilemma that creates watchable and desirable drama for viewers! I’m eager to see what happens when it returns, and it better return for a VERY long time((: