‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

Tue, July 31, 2012 11:06pm EDT by 90 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

The first season of ‘Jane By Design’ came to a close with surprise twists, new beginnings & one major cliffhanger! (This show NEEDS a second season.)

When Jane By Design creator April Blaitold me everything would be “put in jeopardy” for Jane (Erica Dasher) on the July 31 summer finale, I didn’t realize what an understatement that really was. While Jane began the hour with a major victory in London, she ended it with a disappointing realization about Billy (Nick Roux) — and a very uncertain future at Donovan Decker!

I think the best way to break down the drama is to take things couple by couple, beginning with…

BEN & RITA: As promised, Ben (David Clayton Rogers) made his triumphant return home this week, but he didn’t just do it for Jane! He also professed his love for Rita (Smith Cho), who returned his affections by interrupting his baseball practice with some intense PDA. I really hope Whitemarsh High doesn’t have rules against co-workers dating, because these two are headed in an adorable direction and I don’t want them to stop. Ever.

INDIA & JEREMY: Though Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) agreed to deliver his drawings to Harrod’s, he drew the line at returning to Donovan Decker in New York. So India (India de Beaufort) did the only thing she could: She flew to England to win back her bloody bloke! We were left with a cute scene between the “couple” in Jeremy’s family’s pub, and even though India begged him to return to Donovan Decker with her, he really seems resistent to the idea.

JANE & ELI: In a surprising turn of events, especially for this show, Eli (Bryan Dechart) came clean to Jane about sleeping with someone else. Granted, he didn’t say who he slept with, but even a half-confession is a sign of serious progress. And while Jane was understandably upset, she also recognized that she and Eli weren’t exclusive, and she certainly gave him enough reasons to seek attention from another girl. Besides, she had Billy to think about! Which leads me to…

JANE & BILLY: I’m not going to lie, I think the promos for this episode totally over-hyped Billy’s “decision” between Jane and Zoe (Mariah Buzolin). At no point did Billy actually have to choose between the two — he’s clearly head-over-heels in love with Zoe right now — but it did break my heart to see Jane as she watched Billy play Prince Charming to Zoe’s Cinderella. She finally realized how much she loves him, a realization that arrived about eight episodes too late, unfortunately.

JANE & HER CAREER: As if watching Billy and Zoe together wasn’t hard enough, Jane was served a double dose of “FML” when Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli came backstage to meet the genius behind the play’s costumes. The episode ended with Jane and Gray standing face-to-face, and I can’t imagine how Jane can possibly explain her way out of this disaster. (Oh, who am I kidding? This is Jane we’re talking about! She’s gotten really good at lying.)

How do you feel about the way the finale ended? Do you wish Jane had told Billy how she really feels? Are you bummed Jeremy refused to come back to New York? And how do you think Jane can possibly weasel her way out of this mess? Drop me a comment with your personal review of the summer finale!

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design News:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Billy’s Decision & 5 More Spoilers
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: Disaster Strikes Jane’s First Date With Eli
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Recap: A Surprise Proposal Leaves Jane Speechless

Jordan

Posted at 1:36 AM on August 21, 2014

Why did it end tho?

F

Posted at 2:08 PM on July 23, 2014

I DEMAND A SECOND SEASON UGGGHHH I’M SO FRUSTRATED THIS SHOW SHOULDN’T HAVE BEEN CANCELED

Jane

Posted at 10:55 AM on July 5, 2014

right now, i would just about do anything to have Jane By Design return on abc. It was an amazing show, and the season finale just left so many questions unanswered!!!!!! Im seriously looking for JBD books to continue the storyline haha

qwerth

Posted at 8:34 AM on June 2, 2014

I was so teary eyed when I finished watching season 1. Hahaha idk why.. and I thought it has season 2 but when I look for it. I haven’t found one. Soo please… even though it is years ago.. I think us, viewers have the right to watch on how things possibly going on between Jane and Billy. Billy and Zoe, Ben and Rita, Jane and her work/career. Don’t just end things in that way. SEASON 2, PLEASE. SEASON 2.

tilla

Posted at 1:03 PM on April 22, 2014

Pls bring jane n billy back…i cant wait for the next season…pls pls pls plssssss…

Laura

Posted at 9:16 AM on February 19, 2014

I totally agree another season to at least end the sow properly. It was a good show i loved it and want to see more. Billy and Jane need to get together. Cliffhanger is a bummer, I live in Australia so maybe you could play the first season on TV I think you would get a lot of hits and then you create another season. YOU NEED TO BRING A SECOND SEASON OF JANE BY DESIGN, this is literally killing me.

Rachel s

Posted at 4:58 PM on November 26, 2013

they should atleast have another season because it was just starting to get good …i think there is much to come in 1 more season …jane needs to have billy i mean there should be a new guy that comes in that flalls in love with zoe ……..so there should be a come back i will be furious if there isnt very.

S

Posted at 3:13 PM on November 1, 2013

pleaseee bring this show back!! The cliffhanger is torturing mee… please, don’t you see how many people love jane by design!

Sandra

Posted at 2:15 AM on September 10, 2013

I really like this show, it is funny, inspiring, light hearted, edge of your seat ,wondering and hoping what is going to happen next. Is there a book on this series? I am from Australia , and at the moment we are up to episode 16 and I was wondering how many episodes or seasons there were, I was so disappointed to learn that I have 2 more episodes and then that’s it, is everything left up in the air??

Rachel

Posted at 8:10 AM on September 6, 2013

I really love this show. It’s so sad they didn’t continue it, really wish they did.

Lily

Posted at 4:37 PM on September 3, 2013

I LOVE IT, please let it has season 2

Veronica

Posted at 10:55 AM on September 3, 2013

i loved this show so bring it back please….

Oliwia

Posted at 3:02 PM on August 31, 2013

The series is too poignant to cancel it. Please let the show come back. We miss. …really so much

Anya

Posted at 4:21 PM on August 1, 2013

I hope they bring the show back

Lauren

Posted at 1:08 AM on July 30, 2013

W all like this show please bring this show back

Lauren

Posted at 1:06 AM on July 30, 2013

Please

Lauren Alvarez escobedo

Posted at 1:04 AM on July 30, 2013

See every body really likes list show as u can see u need to bring this show back. :)

Bree

Posted at 2:57 AM on July 23, 2013

I wish this show would come back I loved it so much :( still do please bring it back i don’t care what channel it’s on just bring my favorite show back!!!!!!

Nevaagen

Posted at 1:26 PM on July 3, 2013

“Are you bummed Jeremy refused to come back to New York?” <~~~ ??
Rephrase!
"Are you bummed that the show got 'canceled' ?"
Clearly, the comments speaks for itself.

cece

Posted at 2:10 AM on July 2, 2013

Jane by design needto comeback to abc family. I love jbd and I want more I think other people do to. U cant just leave the people guessing we want to know what happens next.

Bree

Posted at 8:37 AM on June 14, 2013

Jane By Design really needs to comeback !!!! It shouldn’t have ended it was really good & had alot of viewers by its side ! Im sure ABC Family has space for it eapecially now that The Secret Life of The American Teenager finished . They should host a commercial telling people to go online & like vote or something on if Jane By Design should come back or not !!!!!!!!! You can’t just leave people guessing as to what ends up happening . People need to know what happens next it also gives really good advice in it too .

Mimi

Posted at 12:03 PM on May 22, 2013

I reali want jane nd billy to end up wit each other.also jane should tell the truth as prolonged lying would nt solve anytin.gray already trusts her,she will eventually forgive jane.jeremy should return 2 the fashion house,nt for india,bt for wat he loves(designin)

Trinna Patrisse ✌ ‏ (@Trinnaaaaaaa)

Posted at 12:37 AM on April 29, 2013

let jane by design come baackk :( its very intense noww :(((

estefy

Posted at 2:18 AM on March 30, 2013

im really really sad. whats going on!!!! this finale sucks i meant it!