Dan Is Stupid For Choosing Blair Over Rome On 'Gossip Girl'

Tue, May 1, 2012 5:23pm EDT by 7 Comments

Poor Lonely Boy! This summer he’s going to be stuck with without a girlfriend — and without a future!

If Dan (Penn Badgley) had his head screwed on straight, he wouldn’t have said “no” to a once-in-a-lifetime chance to write in Rome for the summer. I don’t think Rufus (Matthew Settle) is going to be happy when he hears about this one.

In case you aren’t up to speed, Gossipers, Dan was asked to go to travel to Rome on a prestigious writing fellowship on the April 30 episode of Gossip Girl. When he asked Blair (Leighton Meester) what she thought, she of course encouraged him to go. It’s not like he was going to be gone for a year — it was just three months!

But ultimately he decided that his relationship with Blair was more important and turned it down. And to top it off, he LIED to Blair and told her that he’s not going anymore because they decided to go with another candidate.

Lonely Boy, you are about to live up to your Upper East Side nickname VERY soon.

If the situation was reversed, Blair wouldn’t have even thought twice about leaving Dan for the summer! And not because she doesn’t love him, but because she knows that sometimes in a relationship it’s important to do what’s right for you and your future — not the relationship. Blair knows the right relationship can survive the distance.

Dan and Blair are very young. And Dan not taking this opportunity because of Blair — who didn’t even say “I love you” back — was pure stupidity. This may end up being the biggest regret of Dan’s life!

You all know I’m very pro Chuck (Ed Westwick) and Blair, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like Dan as character. I just don’t like him with Blair. So I’m not saying this because I don’t like Dan — I’m saying this because Dan needed to think about himself for once and do what’s best for HIS future!

Don’t you agree, HollywoodLifers? Do you think Dan should have said “yes” to the fellowship in Rome? Vote and weigh in below.

You know you love me,

Xo Xo

Nicole Karlis

- More Gossip Girl

1. Blair Waldorf: When Will You Realize Chuck Is A Changed Man?
  2. ‘Gossip Girl’ Recap: Chuck’s Secret About Blair’s Divorce, Plus 4 More ‘OMG’ Moments
  3. ‘Gossip Girl’ Preview: Serena & Blair Team Up Against Gossip Girl

iloveleighton

Posted at 2:27 AM on May 4, 2012

nicole…..i haven’t watch gossip girl lately,i think i stop last episode 16 0r 17…is it cool to watch it again???….yes i also love chuck and blair and i agree what you said about not hating dan but oppose in them together.I always check your review post here so i can keep up what happen.Is it safe again to watch gossip girl??coz i lost the interest after they murder my CHAIR.

harum scarum

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 2, 2012

dan makes no sense to me. if you don’t trust your girlfriend when she hangs out with her ex, then break up with her and take the fellowship. if you do trust your girlfriend then take the fellowship and your relationship will survive the distance.

there is no scenario where turning down the offer makes sense.

Karin

Posted at 7:11 AM on May 2, 2012

2 me dat wat i cal true love so guys let him b

laura02

Posted at 3:14 AM on May 2, 2012

Dan is pathetic.Missing rome to stay with a girl who obviously doesn’t give a damn about him

elizabeth

Posted at 8:42 PM on May 1, 2012

Dan consistantly mucks up opportunity and then calls it a sacrifice for love. When Blair breaks up with him, or vice versa, he will certainly pull this out in one of his sulks.

Of course, his willingness to throw his friendships under a bus when he’s sniffing after a new girl is pretty consistent too. That makes me hope he spends the summer in misery, with no one but Rufus to talk to. I far less kind to him than you, Nicole.

Anna

Posted at 7:17 PM on May 1, 2012

I don’t know if he messed up by not going. He truly believes his career would be fine either place. I think he made a bigger mistake by not telling Blair the truth. Open communication is key. I think he should have waited until after they talked to decide though.

Sarah

Posted at 5:40 PM on May 1, 2012

Dan should have went to Rome but he knows Blair doesn’t love him and that his relationship is doomed bc Blair loves Chuck