'Smash' Recap: Are Karen & Dev Officially (Finally) Over?

Mon, April 30, 2012 11:35pm EDT by 25 Comments

I know it’s a musical, but this week’s ‘Smash’ had more partner-swapping than a square dance.

Am I crazy, or do Julia (Debra Messing) and Frank (Brian d’Arcy James) now have the most stable relationship out of all the couples on Smash? By the time the curtains dropped on the April 30 episode, both Karen (Katharine McPhee) and Ivy’s (Megan Hilty) love lives were in shambles as their boyfriends spent the hour getting handsy with other dames.

During out-of-town tech rehearsals for Bombshell, Rebecca (Uma Thurman) had a mini-meltdown when she learned that her Joe DiMaggio had dropped out of the show; and with so little time before opening night, there was only one thing to do: bring back Michael (Will Chase). In a surprising show of sensibility, Julia threatened to quit Bombshell if Michael re-entered the fold, only to have Frank and Leo encourage her to stick with it! I expected that kind of backwards logic from Leo — I still can’t believe he tried to smoke out of a vaporizer in the middle of Central Park — but I really had respect for Frank. Until that.

Speaking of cheaters, Dev (Raza Jaffrey) had himself a little mouth-on-mouth party with R.J. this week. Clearly wracked with guilt, he then decided to propose to Karen — and I couldn’t help but smile as she turned him down. The whole cheating thing aside, I’ve never really understood Karen and Dev as a couple. He was sweet and supportive in the pilot, but like most things on Smash, their relationship has been on a steep decline ever since. He’s controlling, he’s temperamental, and he doesn’t seem to understand what it means to date an actress.

In all his infinite wisdom, Derek (Jack Davenport) decided it would be a good idea to hook up with Rebecca in her dressing room, which didn’t sit well with Ivy. Not one bit. But her heartache ended up being the viewers’ good fortune, as she treated us to an intense performance of Rose Royce‘s “I’m Going Down.” I can’t say it was a great song for Ivy to sing at a hotel party — it was pretty much the definition of “buzz kill” — but I enjoyed it, for sure.

And that’s when things got cray. Dev slipped into a dive bar to wallow in his own stupidity, when a pretty young blonde caught his eye — a blonde named Ivy Lynn, to be more specific. He bought her a drink, and according to the promo for next week’s episode, they made a little history of their own. I’m surprised Dev didn’t recognize Ivy because I could have sworn he’d had at least seen her before, but hey, I’m not complaining. I’m just glad to see Karen and Dev on the outs.

What did you think of this week’s Smash? Are you glad Michael is coming back? Do you think he and Julia will rekindle their affair? And how do you feel about Ivy and Dev hooking up? Was it genius, or too random? Drop your thoughts in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Larissa Mello

Posted at 7:04 PM on June 28, 2013

Smash é tão perfeito. Já vi a segunda temporada inteira, mas sem dar spoiler, Dev sai da série e Karen termina com outro. Ivy e Derek são os mais perfeitos e no final, ah, grande final deles juntos… ! Ivy termina grávida s2
Porém, eu gosto do jeito conquistador e sexy da Ivy, deixa ela mais perfeita! rs Principalmente quando começa a jogar com Derek.

edilene patricio

Posted at 12:59 PM on June 16, 2012

Eu adoro Smash, principamente o casal Karen e Den, espero que ele não traia ela para ficar com a Ivy. Acho o casal mais legal desta serie.Tomaram que oa utor não estrague.

Portia

Posted at 9:13 PM on May 19, 2012

That’s called acting

Titina

Posted at 2:02 PM on May 7, 2012

Dev is such a douche.
Even if it was insecurity or heartbreak he is making out with RJ and then sleeping with Ivy. He should have just left once Ivy introduced herself. He totally knew who she was but still…. He went along for it. How low.
And not even get me started about Ivy. What a bitch. She totally knew too and was on board very eagerly. Hope it comes back to bite them in the end.

Karen wake up! And dump that cheater!

Brittany

Posted at 11:11 AM on May 7, 2012

I am really disappointed in how dev and Karen are fighting they are clearly a cute couple. I hate how the writer just all of sudden turns dev into this cheater. I really hope he doesn’t sleep with ivy. I could expect that from dereck but not dev. Just hope everything turns out good and she says yes to marry dev. As far as ivy and dereck goes I think ivy deserves better than him. She is pretty and doesn’t deserve a cheat. I like how Julia and frank are back together and going strong. As far as micheal coming that should be a no!

AngryViewer

Posted at 11:22 AM on May 6, 2012

If Dev really sleeps with Ivy, I will dislike the writer a lot and stop watching the show. Because it is so disappointing that shattering the idea of a relationship where efforts and understanding shall coexist, but not reflecting through adultery. That plot is definitely not a good turn toward adultery. Don’t want my moral to be polluted by this kinda story, I am changing channels.

tony tideman

Posted at 9:32 AM on May 5, 2012

I personally was disgusted with the scene where Dev was hooking up with Rj. I stil l can’t believe that he thought that proposing to Karen was going to make the situation better I am on Karen’s side I seem to recall what Rebecca said to Karen. As far as dev &wanted ivy in the bar scene I was really disappointed with Ivy I really thought that Ivy would leave once she saw dev. I was surprise to learn that Michael swift was returning. I was really hoping that people would listen to Julia. Tony.

Lisa

Posted at 2:45 PM on May 4, 2012

I’m frankly disappointed in the writers. I really liked Dev at the beginning of the show and felt he and Karen had a solid relationship- but in trying to up the “drama” factor, they’re totally undercutting their characters. The liplock with RJ was one thing, but to (allegedly) sleep with Ivy?! Too far. It’s a shame to see him villan-ized- I feel like both parties were contributing to the problems in their relationship (Karen, taking Dev for granted; Dev, shutting her out)… but after that bar scene, he’s definitely the Bad Guy.

TheBrwnHairedChick

Posted at 12:47 PM on May 4, 2012

Honestly I thought at the end scene, where he introduces himself as Dev, she looks at him, pauses and then says Ivy, already pissed thinking Karen knew about Derek and Rebecca all along and chose not to say anything. Ivy has already HEARD Dev’s name, and it’s not all the god damn common. Dev has already HEARD Karen bitch about Ivy. They both knew it. they were just too stupidly annoyingly drunk to care. Ivy is a flat-out bitch. there are some moments i like her but most of the time i just wish someone would slap some sense in there.

nellie

Posted at 2:25 PM on May 3, 2012

Andy, that ending scene was a total heartbreaker. I feel real bad for Karen and what’s going to come down from this one night stand. Dev and Ivy totally understood what was going down, and it was a fake intro in the preview. Totally.

Will

Posted at 12:10 AM on May 3, 2012

You can take Dev out of India…
but you can’t take India out of Dev!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:53 PM on May 7, 2012

lol wut?

Titina

Posted at 6:13 PM on May 2, 2012

Man this was crazy.
Dev is such a selfish egotistical prick. First he makes out with RJ, then he proposes to Karen because of guilt and then to top it off he goes on and sleeps with Ivy knowing who she was! Ivy also completely knew who he was! They were both on a mission to get back at Karen unfairly.

Hopefully Karen will find out about this ASAP. I can´t stand watching Dev´s fake face on my TV screen anymore. At least Derek has always been honest that he is a womanizer and does´t care about anyone but the show.

Karen should use Derek now! Their chemistry is insane and IMO she just might be the only girl that could change Derek´s womanizer ways for good.
Go for it Karen! Derek is hot and waiting. You need some fun in your life just about now.

Cesar

Posted at 4:40 PM on May 2, 2012

Is it just me or does Rebecca look more like Betty White then Marilyn Monroe? Seriusly they could’ve gotten someone younger and more believable.

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:19 PM on May 2, 2012

HA!

Cesar

Posted at 2:04 PM on May 2, 2012

Just when I was starting to like Dev he pulls one like that, we all expected for him to cheat with the office slut, but going for Ivy? of course he knew who she was, I’m sure he saw it as an opportunity to get back at Karen for rejecting his proposal, and to think I finally thought he looked cute and sensitive crying, what a creep!

Texas Gal!

Posted at 10:38 AM on May 2, 2012

They both knew the other, at least by name, as Karen had talked to Ivy about Dev and referred to him by his name. She had also spoken to Dev about Ivy so no doubt they both knew what they were doing. I find it disturbing that Smash has had so many cheating episodes with Julia & Michael, then Tom and the lawyer & dancer, Ivy & Dev, Dev & RJ and Derrick & Rebecca. Aside from that, I love this show and am so glad that it was renewed for a 2nd season! Love Katharine McPhee in this!

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:20 PM on May 2, 2012

Right?! “Smash” is an OK name, but they probably should have just called the show “Cheaters.”

Paige

Posted at 4:57 PM on May 1, 2012

Dev is being completely psychotic so I can’t say that I’m surprised about the problems between him and Karen. As for the rendezvous he had with Ivy at the bar, well, that just made me angry. As someone said already you could see in his face that he knew who she was and yet he decided to “make some history” with her still. As for the Julia and Frank situation I really do think that she’ll end up sleeping with Michael again just because she is being so adamant that she won’t. If that makes any sense.

Donna Ferriola

Posted at 5:30 PM on May 2, 2012

I totally agree about everything. First he is kissing RJ then professing his love for Karen and calling her show stupid. Then he absolutely knew it was Ivy and she knew it was Karen’s Dev. They were both intent on hurting Karen I am sure evil Ivy will enjoy telling Karen about it too. Karen is too good for Dev, & Ivy does not deserve the Marilyn part either. I will bet her & Ellis poison Rebecca. Should be a career ended.

Ttina

Posted at 12:56 AM on May 1, 2012

They recognized each other, Andy…by name. If you have the episode on your DVR, watch Dev’s face when Ivy says her name.

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:21 PM on May 2, 2012

I feel like they didn’t recognize each other. Because in the previews for next week, Karen introduces Ivy and Dev and they both look surprised.

Wendy

Posted at 8:54 PM on May 2, 2012

I think it was a “Fake Surprised Look” in the preview for next week! They have already met each other previously… Or at least they both know each other’s names!!! So disappointed in Dev for this one. We all knew that Ivy was gonna find SOME way to get back at Karen though…

Anthony

Posted at 12:13 AM on May 1, 2012

I am glad that Dev and Karen are over but I am still pissed at him! Ugh. And I’m sick of Ivy!

mizsah

Posted at 8:09 PM on May 2, 2012

me too. she is just way too conniving for her own good !