'Vampire Diaries' Recap: Stefan & Elena Reunite Over A Tragedy

Thu, April 26, 2012 9:25pm EDT by 46 Comments

Another fanged fiend is on the loose in Mystic Falls — and this one isn’t looking to give Elena a hug!

So, how are your eyes doing? Red? Puffy? I thought so. The April 26 episode of The Vampire Diaries more than made up for this season’s uneven quality by delivering an incredible hour that took everything to the next level. Not only did Elena’s (Nina Dobrev) love triangle become pointier than ever, but we’ve got ourselves a new Big Bad in Mystic Falls — and I’m kind of terrified to see how it all plays out.

For starters, we learned there’s way more to Alaric’s (Matt Davis) split-personality disorder than what we’ve seen so far. Esther, who gave up Rebekah’s (Claire Holt) body and returned to her own, explained that she communicated with Alaric every time he died while wearing the ring — from the other side. (OoOoOoOoh!) She planned to turn him into an Original-level vampire, but got a nasty little surprise when he knifed her from behind. (Bye, bitch!)

Sadly, Alaric decided not to complete the transition, which cued up one of the biggest sob-fests in the show’s history as all of the (non-vampire) characters gathered outside Alaric’s tomb to say their last goodbye. There were tears, there were candles, and there were more emotions than every season of Oprah combined. But wait… Just when we thought we’d seen the last of Alaric, Bonnie (Kat Graham) was visited by Esther in a dream, then hauled her ass to Alaric’s tomb to feed him her blood. So there you go, folks. Alaric isn’t dead. He’s not even a vampire. He’s the freakin’ ultimate vampire — and he’s got his eyes on Elena.

In less horrifically depressing news, this week’s episode also served up a big “f–k you” to all the “Klaroline” shippers out there. “It doesn’t matter how many times I dance with him,” Caroline (Candice Accola) told Tyler (Michael Trevino) after she and Klaus (Joseph Morgan) did the Charleston or whatever. “I love you.” Candice already disqualified the legitimacy of “Klaroline” in one of our recent interviews, but hearing the words actually come out of Caroline’s mouth made them stick.

Also, can someone please hand me a shovel? Because I’m totally digging Bonnie and Jamie (Robert Ri’chard) together. I was among those viewers who thought Bonnie and Jeremy made the perfect couple, but now that I’ve seen the alternative, I’m definitely on board. He’s a human who’s willing to stand by her side, and as far as I can tell, he doesn’t have too much emotional baggage to carry around. He’s definitely a keeper.

But what would an episode of The Vampire Diaries be without a little tension between Elena and her two favorite Salvatores? Whereas last week’s episode was all about Damon (Ian Somerhalder), this week’s tipped the scales dramatically in Stefan’s (Paul Wesley) favor. Not only did Stefan apologize for everything he’s done to Elena (again), but he reminded her she’s not alone in the world. “You have me,” he said after she cried about having no one to look out for her.

Let’s break down the episode and see just how each side fared:

1. Elena ends up asking Stefan to the dance anyway. He accepts. (+10 points)
    x
  2. Elena tells Stefan he looks “dapper,” and he tells her she looks “very beautiful.” (+15 points)
    x
  3. Stefan talks about Elena finding her way back to him: “After everything I put you through, I’m just honored to be your date tonight.” (+10 points)
    x
  4. Stefan told Elena he regrets ever turning off his feelings, and thanks Elena for always sticking by his side. (+20 points)
    x
  5. Stefan tells Elena she’s not alone, because she has him, and she sobs into his arms. (+35 points)
  6. TOTAL: 80 points
  1. “I can’t ask Stefan on a date,” Elena said. “I just made out with his brother!” (+5)
    x
  2. I wasn’t sure if I should even count that last one — you know, since Elena ended up going to the dance with Stefan — but I decided to throw Damon a bone. Admit it: It was pretty ridiculous that last week’s huge hook up was barely addressed. Since when does Damon pass up on opportunities to rub his conquests in Stefan’s face?
    x
  3. TOTAL: 5 points

x
What did you think of this week’s episode? Did you ugly cry when you thought Alaric was dead? And now that he’s not, which character are you most concerned about? As for Elena, what did you think of her big moments with Stefan? Hit up the comments section with your opinions on tonight’s episode, and your theories about what’s to come!

— Andy Swift

delena

Posted at 2:47 AM on May 1, 2012

we need some delena scenes people!!!

Y.XuanT

Posted at 4:38 AM on April 30, 2012

Esther is fucking annoying!!!!

albergopalermo

Posted at 2:10 AM on April 30, 2012

I’ll right away grasp your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Melika

Posted at 6:26 AM on April 28, 2012

I just loved this episode!!! Stelena forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam

Posted at 1:26 PM on April 27, 2012

Well, VD ratings continue to decline and unless the writers find a way to make both Stelena and Delena fans happy, this show will not last much longer. Just look at True Blood. The Bill/Sookie/Eric triangle has annoyed viewers and turned many people away. It also doesn’t help when you can no longer root for the main character, Sookie in True Blood’s case, and Elena in VD’s case because you find them manipulative and selfish. I hope the finale of VD won’t be a let down like most of this season and the Alaric storyline is all sorts of FAIL! VD needs to stop destroying good characters and it would be nice to see Katherine and Elijah return.

Lucy

Posted at 12:36 PM on April 27, 2012

Stelena is on the top :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

Posted at 10:39 AM on April 27, 2012

“all of the (non-vampire) characters” I guess this was written a tongue in a cheek” because there were 4 blood sucking creatures in that graveyard. I just hope your typo isn’t foretelling of the future of MF: a town inhabited mostly by vampires with a few humans to be their blood suppliers or a lot of rabbits for the vegans

Anna

Posted at 10:36 AM on April 27, 2012

Forgot to add that I’ll miss Matt and Damon bromance. I’m really sad they took that away from Damon, but hey, good luck to Matt Davis in his new endeavors.

T

Posted at 10:01 AM on April 27, 2012

Great, here we go again with the good, old Stelena crap! God, did you guys see Damon right after Elena asked Stefan to the dance? He was wrecked! Seriously it’s time the producers stoped thinking about themselves, and gave us Delena fans at least a whole Delena season! I mean poor guy… first she makes out with him in a motel, and by the way that was H-O-T!!! and now she askes Stefan to the dance? NOT COOL! Also, two characters I absolutely hated in this episode were Caroline and Bonnie. Bonnie for giving Alaric her blood, and Caroline for saying Stefan and Elena are forever! Rose covered this whole thing about Damon changing Elena in a good way in the previous episode. She really is the best thing for him and he deserves to finally get the girl! That’s pretty much everything I needed to make clear… Delena FOREVER & ALWAYS!!!

Laura

Posted at 8:26 AM on April 27, 2012

Stelena…..:((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Oh No:(

lacysos

Posted at 8:06 AM on April 27, 2012

Love the Alaric twists. Bonnie & Jamie, yeah! Caroline, my girl, got her head on straight! And Stelena shipper to boot! YaY! Klaus to Damon: “When Elena makes her decision, will we see you shake?” What a shit-stirrer! Definitely a tear-jerker eps.

But MY STEFFY in that suit! Whew! What a charming, classy prince!!! No contest! If Elena doesn’t want him I’ll take him 8 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:29 AM on April 27, 2012

Did Klaus definitely say that to Damon? I kind of thought he was saying it to both brothers, but maybe I’m crazy.

Stefan fans forever!!!

Posted at 7:11 AM on April 27, 2012

Thatsit!!!stefan and elena are meant to be together!!!im sure they’re cute/angel couples!!!whenever i see the sad moments between elena and stefan,it always make me cry….Stelena forever1!!

paula

Posted at 6:24 AM on April 27, 2012

Alaric :'(:'( saddest scene of tvd ever!

STELENA <3 <3

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:30 AM on April 27, 2012

I’ll say SECOND saddest scene, right behind Jenna’s funeral. :'(

Clare

Posted at 5:41 AM on April 27, 2012

Ugh!! six seasons of fan servicing. Throw the dogs their bones….just let me die of repetitive boredom already. S1 and S2…Stelena, half of season 3, Elena pining for Stefan. Two of my friends have already quit watching because it’s frustrating. But Alaric :(( So sad.

DAH

Posted at 5:09 AM on April 27, 2012

Also, best line of the episode:

“I AM the alpha male.”

Oh, Klaus. <3

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:30 AM on April 27, 2012

That line made me giggle.

DAH

Posted at 4:55 AM on April 27, 2012

As a Delena fan, I thought the majority of Stelena was quite sweet in this episode. It definitely brought back memories of better times.

Only problem is–and this is my rational, actually-in-a-long-term-relationship side talking–Stefan refused to discuss the Damon event with Elena. In spite of convincing her to take the trip in the first place. That is a HUGE red flag that Stefan is back in his “it doesn’t exist if I pretend it doesn’t” mode. So, honestly, I’d knock off 15 points for that.

But Damon and Alaric at the end, and how torn up Damon was… my God, I just sobbed. Their passive-aggressive-barbaric-wit banter about death just hurt so good to watch. It was sweet of Damon to listen to Meredith (thank you, Meredith!) and spend what he thought would be Alaric’s last moments with him.

Also, I have to say this–Tyler’s outfit, out of ANY of the other guys’, was the best. Absolutely smashing. I was liable to jump him, myself!

Loved this episode.

Karin

Posted at 4:44 AM on April 27, 2012

I cn’t stand elena at all she is 2 ful of her self so i think she shuld be with damon

Suzi

Posted at 11:38 PM on April 26, 2012

STELENA, Its cause I Love Stefan, don’t give a crap about that Elena, but I want Stafan to be Happy. PLus I kinda think Damon and Bonnie would make a Good couple, Win Win, in my books

Dominique

Posted at 10:25 AM on April 27, 2012

yay another person who is open to the thought of bonnie and damon.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:31 AM on April 27, 2012

I feel like, of all the possible couples on the show, Bonnie and Damon makes the least sense. Have they ever had a pleasant conversation?

DAH

Posted at 7:01 PM on April 27, 2012

Once, actually. Season 2, the 50’s dance when they first encountered Klaus. Damon danced with Bonnie and suggested she find a way around dying via her powers to kill Klaus, and she looked at him and said slyly, “Careful. I might start to think you care.”

Not a Damon/Bonnie fan by any means, but if I were that would be an adorably sweet scene to me.

(I also get the mindset behind it, via the whole “I love characters who constantly clash possibly hooking up.” I’ve been there before.)

Jane

Posted at 10:45 PM on April 26, 2012

Yes, I cried. I will never like Bonnie. I want Damon and Elena together!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:31 AM on April 27, 2012

“I will never like Bonnie.”

Whoa, what? Why? :(

jordan

Posted at 10:41 PM on April 26, 2012

OMG!!!!!! I cannot stop smiiling / crying over this episode!!!!!!!! When i thought alaric was gonna die my heart ripped into shreds but than God bonnie came to the rescue….again.when elena asked stefan to the dance i literally started shaking from excitment!!!!!! And when elena cried in stefans arms i couldnt stop smiling through all the tears!!!!! I loved them together from the beging and was so mad when damen screwed things up!!!!!!! I love stefans personaality and im lookkinng forward to seeing them as a couple again!!!!!! STELENA!!!!!

Suzy

Posted at 10:39 PM on April 26, 2012

The scenes with Stefan were sweet but they don’t have any of the passion that you see between Damon and Elena.

dan

Posted at 10:32 PM on April 26, 2012

-80 points caroline had to push her to invite stefan which none of the POINTS WOULD COUNT

jordan

Posted at 10:46 PM on April 26, 2012

Elena made her OWN choice!!!!! Its not like caroline compelled her!!!! She asked stefan because she loves him!!!! Always has always will!!!!!! That deserves like a billion points!!!!!!!

dan

Posted at 11:06 PM on April 26, 2012

did i miss a kiss where was the love you could of got the same reaction if you put jeremy there and she push her that why it was so weird on the phone

christine

Posted at 2:44 AM on April 27, 2012

I couldn’t agree more!you know what?there is nothing wrong with going on the dance with Stefan like you said…it was a helpless try on Elena’s part to test her feelings for Stefan after the HUGE PASSIONATE MOMENT she shared with Damon!everybody knows that no matter what happens in the end, once you fall for another guy and give in more than once to your feelings, you cannot skip that ever again and feel the same about the other!Stelena fans thought live in another planet…in a different world and they would never realize this!ok..she had no other by her side at that point and she fell in Stefan’s arms..so what?!no passion…just a moment of mere consolation..

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:32 AM on April 27, 2012

I don’t think Elena would have invited him if she didn’t want to. She’s still torn.

Jenay

Posted at 10:26 PM on April 26, 2012

This article is pretty biased and your points don’t really mean anything.Stefan said this and that but Elena said nothing back to him.She didn’t even hint that she accepted his apology or that she even wanted to be with him.If you ask me which you didn’t I will tell you anyway Elena hasn’t chosen Stefan.Elena has spent the last 19 episodes with Damon.The kiss alone will put Damon over the top.Do I think she will choose Damon? That is a big NO she wont choose either of them.

Jett

Posted at 9:51 PM on April 26, 2012

Oh thank you Andy! After your recap I’m totally sure in Delena final. If we compare 3.19 and 3.20 as Delena and Stelena episodes, we can see what a HUGE PASSIONAL STEP did Elena to Damon, and what lillte crap-step she did to Stefan (asks for a dance – thx Caroline!! and “Drapper”) All Stelena feelings were going from Stefan. “Stefan tells…Stefan told… Stefan talks”
OMG Is this all epic Stelena? Gosh. I’m so proud that I am a Delena shipper!

Me

Posted at 9:26 PM on April 26, 2012

Okay, anyone who thinks Elena should be with Damon after this episode is bat shit crazy!

Not Crazy

Posted at 10:02 PM on April 26, 2012

I’m not sure why this episode was supposed to make me crazy if I am for Delena still. I found it really sad that he lost his only friend and if he loses Elena too that will only make it worse. He wasn’t with Elena at the end because he was talking Ric through his death. Besides, I found all of Stefan’s dialogue contrived and random. He did a 180 in one episode and I’m not buying it.

gunny1972

Posted at 10:24 PM on April 26, 2012

Even if Stefan apologized for biting her, he STILL has not apologized for trying to kill her on Wickery Bridge! I totally agree about not buying his whole “I’m so good again, I’ll always be here for you” BS!

dan

Posted at 10:28 PM on April 26, 2012

where is the passion he acted like a brother, i liked the damon alaric scene better then there scene their scene where boring bonnie and jamie where having fun caroline and tyler were having fun and those two zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ummm

Posted at 4:57 AM on April 27, 2012

My preference for a couple in a make-believe TV show makes ME crazy?

… okay then.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:32 AM on April 27, 2012

I think it’s still up for debate. ;)