'Once Upon A Time' Recap: Kathryn's Body Is Discovered

Sun, April 1, 2012 9:16pm EDT by 43 Comments

Plus, a look back in time reveals Regina isn’t really so mean; she’s just got mommy issues!

It took 18 episodes, but we finally found out why Regina (Lana Parrilla) hates Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) on this week’s Once Upon A Time – and the answer was a lot simpler than I imagined.

As a young woman, Regina saved Snow White’s life and was granted a proposal from the king as a reward. Though Regina was secretly in love with her stable boy Daniel (Noah Bean), her bitch of a mother Cora (Barbara Hershey) accepted the proposal for her. And when Snow caught Regina and her stable boy knocking riding boots, she couldn’t keep the secret to her pretty little self. Cue Regina’s mother ripping out Daniel’s heart.

In Snow’s defense, she only spilled the beans because she knew Regina wouldn’t be happy with the king — but that’s not Regina saw it. In fact, the moment Regina found out Snow was the one (inadvertently) responsible for Daniel’s death, we witnessed the official birth of her bitch face. Her cold, calculating bitch face.

“Well played, dear,” Cora told her. “You’re learning.”

Meanwhile, Storybrooke’s hottest — and only — crime investigation took a twisted turn this week. With August’s (Eion Bailey) help, Emma (Jennifer Morrison) matched a shovel tip found at the scene of Kathryn’s murder to a broken shovel in Regina’s house; and of course, when Emma showed up with a search warrant, the broken shovel had been replaced with a brand-spankin’ new one.

But wait, it gets twistier.

At the very end of the episode, Ruby (Meghan Ory) stumbled on Kathryn’s (Anastasia Griffith) body in an alley — and she’s alive! Dun, dun, dun!

What do you think of this week’s revelations? Were you surprised to learn why Regina hates Snow? Did you suspect Kathryn was alive this whole time? And how badly do you want to see Cora show up in Storybrooke? New episodes don’t return until April 22, so help the time pass by dropping your theories in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time updates

CarinC

Posted at 8:47 PM on May 20, 2012

I love the show. My husband and I would put everything aside to be able to watch it. One thing they should work on this next season is; to work on the voice match. When the characters spoke, it was an after effect. I did not notice it. But my hub did. We look forward to Sundays, knowing this show is on,, I love it.. Keep it flowing….

jessica

Posted at 10:47 PM on April 16, 2012

when i first started watching this show i didnt think i would like it and now that i have watched every episode i love and get so mad when i miss a episode. But such a great tv show.

Taya

Posted at 11:01 PM on April 11, 2012

I can’t believe Kathryn’s alive! I think that they should put something like sleeping beauty in it because the evil witch from the movie sleeping beauty knows Regina! (you find that out in the first movie.) Imagine Puss and Boots in it! That would be hilarious. They should connect things up a bit more. For instance, How Snow and Cinderella met, The Mad hatter with Alice in Wonderland, Maybe even Grace and Hansel and Gretel! Once upon a time is definitley my favourite TV Show EVER!!!

ChuChu

Posted at 3:12 PM on April 11, 2012

I feel sorry for Regina, she could have found her happy ending, but Snow was only a child, Regina should forgive her. And wtf with Snow’s father, he had never seen Regina before and then he just comes to ask her to marry him, that just fucked up, but then he’s king, he do whatever.

The relationship between David and Marry is just not on, Marry should have known better. However that’s fictional love. and I’m glad Kathryn is OK. :D

Oh and Team RUMBELLE forever. Those two are the best fairy tale couple ever. OMG i cry so much while watching that episode, best episode ever. <3

Mandy

Posted at 11:09 PM on April 7, 2012

Such a great episode! And excellent show!!

I think that August is Pinnochio. And he survived the “transfer” because he was made from the same wood the cabinet was made from. When he was changed to a real boy(I think) he probably had residual magic from that wood to protect him. Or if he wasn’t changed yet, he would have been protected anyway. It would be the only explanation. He was a talking walking puppet afterall.

I could accept that he wrote the book. He more then likely knew that his memories contained the secret to fixing the curse, so he wrote the book and then searched out the baby.

My theory about August and Mr. Gold is that if he is trying to kill Mr Gold, he is doing it not of his own free will. I think that Rumple’s son has discovered(or was given) some of the magic his father had before the transfer. His son is trying to get all Mr Gold’s magic. In some magical stories the only way to do that is to kill the owner of the magic. Rumple wanted to go from evil to a nice loving father, instead, he gets an evil son. The queens distruction of his happy ending.

Tina

Posted at 7:35 PM on April 6, 2012

I think Kathryn is still dead. I think that woman we saw could be her twin sister or something.

Plus August, believe, is Rumple’s son. I don’t know how the curse doesn’t affect him, but then again, we don’t know how the curse doesn’t affect Rumple or the Mad Hatter either….

but the brief synopsis of the next episode says the story of Rumplestilskin’s son is revealed and of course we see in the clip that Mr. Gold has some beef with August…

Michelle

Posted at 11:51 AM on April 3, 2012

Loved this episode? Show keeps getting better. Who played young Regina? She looks exactly like herself, but of course younger. It is driving me crazy! I think August is Henry grown up, he knows so much about the book and he told Emma that you can’t see what is right in front if you. Plus they have the same eyes. That’s my theory.

Taya

Posted at 11:05 PM on April 11, 2012

I agree with you Michelle! I think August is Henry grown up but I could be wrong. We won’t know until we watch it! I can’t wait till the next Episode!

Mal

Posted at 10:30 PM on April 2, 2012

Who played the young Snow White? She looks SO familiar to me and my family but we can’t figure out why!! Please help

jmarie

Posted at 1:24 AM on April 3, 2012

i was trying to figure out the same thing, so after a little research i found out :)her name is Bailee Madison, you may have seen her in “dont be afraid of the dark” or “Just go with it”

SAHMinIL

Posted at 1:51 PM on April 3, 2012

The young snow also played Max as a girl on Disney’s Wizard of Waverly Place for nearly a whole season. As soon as my kids seen her they said ‘hey it’s the girl that played Max’.

EKG

Posted at 1:23 PM on April 4, 2012

She not, but she looks like she could be Katie Holmes’ daughter

Max

Posted at 11:38 PM on April 5, 2012

She was the girl that played Max in Wizards of Waverly Place when Max got turned into a girl on accident.

Heather

Posted at 2:28 PM on April 2, 2012

LOVED last night’s episode! It was fantastic. I loved how they showed Regina change from hurt and resigned to pure evil…it was brilliant.

As for theories, I have a few…

1. I am going to jump on that August-in-Pinochio Train right now…it would actually make sense. Perhaps HE is the 7 year old boy who found Emma. Gepeto made the secret cabinet for Snow and James…perhaps he also fashioned one for his son. That would explain how August knows everything and why he commented he doesn’t lie and had a shin splint. Just a thought.

2. Regarding Kathryn’s heart, I am going to think the “lab” will come back with an error and that the DNA did NOT match. Of course, now we have a heart without an owner dancing around, but heck, this is Storybrooke, not Law & Order, so no need to worry about that loose end. lol I do think Kathryn will have “amnesia” and not remember anything from her ordeal. This will also allow her to start remembering things from Fher airy Tale past. That would be a nice twist especially if she starts insisting her name is Abigail.

3. As for August going after Rumpel…he’s had 28 years to prep for this, I am sure he has done everything he needs to in order to prep for this battle royale, but let’s not kid ourselves – Gold isn’t going to die. He still has to find Belle and go full Voldemort on Regina for locking her away from him. That would make for one heck of a season finale.

Couple of questions – do Regina and Gold have their full magical powers in Storybrooke? We know they can do some things (you know, like squeezing a heart to dust and bringing someone back from the dead/missing etc), but what about their insane powers you see in Fairy Tale?

Tiff

Posted at 5:35 PM on April 2, 2012

I kind of want to say that they have no powers because I think Regina would’ve gotten rid of Emma the moment she told her to leave Storybrooke.

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:05 PM on April 2, 2012

1. The only reason I feel like August can’t be Pinocchio is because the counterparts usually look the same… but then again, Jiminy Cricket looks nothing like Archie.

3. Oh, wow, it didn’t even occur to me that Mr. Gold doesn’t know about Belle being locked away. Good call.

Heather

Posted at 6:28 PM on April 2, 2012

Regarding Pinocchio, I do agree that most Storybrookers haven’t changed much in their appearance, but if he went through a magic cabinet like Emma, he would’ve aged accordingly. And Yay…he became a “real boy!”

2. Yup, remember Regina told Rumpel that Belle had thrown herself from the tower because of the treatment she received. Once he finds that she is alive and has been locked away from him, he is going to go all kinds of evil on Regina. It will be MARVELOUS! I just wonder if Belle is locked in the psych ward because she is one those cursed with remembering and never being able to share it (like Mad Hatter)…definitely a point ponder…

Also…another question…if Rump/Gold is so powerful, how come he didn’t see through Regina’s lies about Belle’s death? Going back a few episodes, but it is curious…

Lee

Posted at 12:46 PM on April 2, 2012

Wow! Love this show.

As to how Katherine’s heart could be in the box but she is still alive – remember the Sheriff? Regina had his heart in a box in a room full of boxes under the crypt. Perhaps all of the storybook characters in present day are “heartless” and Regina has their hearts under her control. Unlike the Sheriff, Katherine’s heart was tested for DNA but not destroyed, so perhaps she can still be alive. Just a theory…

Mik

Posted at 7:43 PM on April 4, 2012

I think that Regina already had Catherine’s heart too, just like the sheriff’s. Remember that Graham didn’t really realize that he didn’t have a heart until he started having flashbacks. I think that now Catherine will remember everything, and either be thought of as crazy OR she will remember but keep it all to herself (smart). What about frederick? He is the one who realizes she is missing when he sees her crashed car. Did he play a role in holding her captive or rescuing her or was that all Gold?

Belle

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 11, 2012

I really do miss the Sheriff! HE was really cool but I think if he didn’t die it would of just gotten less interesting by the minute.

Marjorie Gardos

Posted at 9:38 AM on April 2, 2012

I always thought that “Mommy Dearest” captured her, but after watching this episode, it was like watching my own mother as Regina’s mother. I need to get my therapist to watch it, too.

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:05 PM on April 2, 2012

Ha! Yeah, I’m surprised Henry is the one who talks to Archie. Regina seems like she needs the therapy a whole lot more.

Tiff

Posted at 2:52 AM on April 2, 2012

Three weeks without Once Upon A Time? The writers can’t leave us with so many cliff hangers! First, Kathryn’s alive. How and why? Mr. Gold has something to do with it, right?
I’ve read speculation that August is either a Grimm, Pinocchio, or Rumpel’s son.
How and why does August have Rumpel’s knife for next episode?
Does Regina have any other tricks up her sleeve? And how does she keep track of EVERYTHING? Does she have her magic in the real world?
Will anyone get their Fairytale ending besides Cinderella/Ashley?
This show requires too much thinking. :)

Nadia S.

Posted at 5:26 PM on April 2, 2012

I think August is the writer if the book. Why? Because he said he’s a writer. And he took Henry’s book and was adding/changing the pages. It would make sense on how he could get inside Storybrooke. Besides if he was a fairytail character why wasn’t he in Storybrooke before? Why now?

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:06 PM on April 2, 2012

I agree, August has to be the writer. But what does that mean? Can he change things, or merely guide people towards changing them?

Tiff

Posted at 10:16 PM on April 2, 2012

And how does he know all these things?

Allyson Erick

Posted at 11:40 PM on April 1, 2012

Bailee Madison, age 12, is the actress’s name who is playing the young Snow White.

Dominique

Posted at 11:19 PM on April 1, 2012

I think August is Rumbles son.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:23 AM on April 2, 2012

Interesting. From the looks of the next episode, they definitely have SOMETHING going on.

Cynthia

Posted at 11:01 PM on April 1, 2012

Loved the episode!! Who played Snow as the little girl? It almost looks like Ginnifer’s face was transposed over the actress playing young Snow White. I need to know… They look identical to me.
Can’t wait ’til the 22nd to see how everything turns out.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:08 PM on April 1, 2012

The casting for this episode was PERFECT. Little Snow and Regina’s mom both get an A+ from me :)

Betty

Posted at 12:29 PM on April 2, 2012

I thought the same thing. They did an excellent job because the young actress had the same facial expressions and expressions as Ginnifer. Great episode!

Kerrian

Posted at 10:31 PM on April 1, 2012

Ohhh men I can’t wait but what’s even worst waiting until the 22nd……the anticipation is killing me mad luv #once upon a time #characters

Bobbie J.

Posted at 10:17 PM on April 1, 2012

I must say, having gone back and watching each and every episode, I was not suprised nor disappointed to find out why Regina hates Snow. She and Snow have both hinted and basically out right said the reason for the animosity btween them. All that was left was for us to see it happen. April 22 is soooooooooooooooooooo far away. :(

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:13 PM on April 1, 2012

Have you gone back and watched them all? That’s some serious dedication. :)

Mik

Posted at 7:46 PM on April 4, 2012

I have gone back and watched each episode 3 times, on my fourth time now!

Lindy

Posted at 10:13 PM on April 1, 2012

I can’t wait to see the next episode. If Regina ever reconcile with Snow White? Also, how is it possible that Kathryn comes back even though there was a DNA match of her heart in the box?

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:16 PM on April 1, 2012

Considering everyone in Storybrooke is in Regina’s pocket — and the whole thing was a set up — I wouldn’t be surprised if someone faked those DNA results.

Bobbie J.

Posted at 10:18 PM on April 1, 2012

Not to mention she can rip out your heart.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:13 PM on April 1, 2012

HA! That too.

Belle

Posted at 11:15 PM on April 11, 2012

If you think about it it’s not suprising that Kathryn is alive without her heart. I mean think about the Sheriff, he had no heart and he stayed alive UNTIL Regina crushed his heart and turned it into dust.

MAT

Posted at 9:56 PM on April 1, 2012

Well … Finding Kathyrn alive should be enough evidence to prove that Mary Margaret didn’t kill her. It’s good to know that Regina didn’t kill Kathryn either like I was thinking. I assume Mr. Gold kidnapped Kathryn and Regina used one of her hearts in her vault. DNA test was probably lied about.

Gold probably just dropped her off in the alley after assuring Emma that it isn’t over yet. Now we will probably get to see a face off between Rumplestiltskin and the Evil Queen. Can’t wait.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:23 AM on April 2, 2012

I think we’ll be seeing a face off between Mr. Gold and August first. That preview looked intense :)