'Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena Admits She's Torn Between Stefan & Damon

Thu, March 29, 2012 9:39pm EST by 192 Comments

Plus, Klaus’ shocking connection to Tyler is revealed! (I’ve never been so worried.)

The Vampire Diaries‘ March 29 episode, “The Murder Of One,” certainly lived up to its hype as one person was, in fact, murdered. And even though it ended up being the one person fans probably cared least about on the entire show, it triggered a reveal about the Originals that changed everything. Are you sitting down? OK, let’s do this…

Because Klaus (Joseph Morgan) is pretty much the worst, he threatened to hurt Jeremy (Steven R. McQueenand Abby (Persia White) if Bonnie (Kat Graham) didn’t perform a spell to separate the Mikaelsons. He even showed Bonnie a video of Jeremy playing with a puppy on his phone, though honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference between them. In my mind, Jeremy has — and always will be — a tiny puppy. To make matters worse, this all went down just as Stefan (Paul Wesley) killed Finn, which sort of put a dent in the gang’s kill-all-the-Originals-at-once plan.

But wait… there’s a twist!

Shortly after Finn met his end, Sage (Cassidy Freeman) and Troy — the gentlemen she turned into a vampire as back-up — also bit the dust! This led the gang to realize that when an Original dies, so too does every vampire they created. Am I the only one who was surprised how quickly Elena (Nina Dobrev) put those pieces together, by the way?

Caroline also made the astute observation that, because Klaus turned Tyler (Michael Trevino) into a hybrid, killing Klaus will also kill Tyler.

Say it with me, everybody: “Nooooooooo!”

In other terrible news, Alaric (Matt Davis) realized his “alter ego” has a hold of the remaining White Oak stakes capable of killing the Originals — but his regular old Alaric self has no idea where he put them. As if it wasn’t enough that this show has doppelgangers, now it also has a character with multiple personalities?! I can’t handle this.

But this week’s episode wasn’t all stabs and surprises; it also marked a huge milestone in the series’ seemingly never-ending Damon-Elena-Stefan triangle! Though Elena told Stefan she never stopped loving him, she couldn’t deny she also has feelings for Damon (Ian Somerhalder) — even if she doesn’t quite understand what those feelings are.

Now let’s break down this week’s episode to see how each team fared, shall we?

1. Elena refused to let Stefan go up against Klaus alone for fear he’d get killed. (+5 points)
    x
  2. Stefan, in turn, kept Elena safe by refusing to let her confront Rebekah. “You don’t stand a chance against her,” he warned. (+5 points)
    x
  3. “I never stopped loving you,” Elena admitted. (+20 points)
    x
  4. “I will never stop loving you,” Stefan replied. (+30 points)
    x
  5. TOTAL: 60 points
  1. The episode began with a sexy conversation about muffins. “Fine, keep convincing yourself you’re still mad at me,” Damon said. (+10 points)
    x
  2. Elena rescued Damon from Rebekah’s evil clutches, let him drink her blood AND leaned in for a kiss! (+200 points)
  3. Oh wait, it was a dream. (-200 points)
    x
  4. Elena couldn’t tell Stefan she doesn’t feel something for Damon, even if she’s not sure what that is. “I don’t know what I feel,” she admitted. (+15 points)
    x
  5. TOTAL: 25 points

x
In my eyes, this week’s episode was clearly a victory for Team Stelena, but hey, I’ve never been great with math. So you tell me which brother YOU think came out on top, then head down to the comments section to make sense of everything we learned this week. Because it was a lot.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

nancy

Posted at 10:32 AM on April 1, 2012

I agree with u that the triangle thing is getting way too boring and that damon should give another girl because it wouldn’t be fair for stefan and it wouldn’t be fair for damon if she keeps playing with his feelings or if they get together for awhile then she goes bk to stefan that might kill him .. But I kind of disagree with u about the part that damon isn’t muture and that he done bad things .. Stefan and damon done bad things and they both handle the stress or when they are mad in different way but stefan isn’t better than damon at all! And btw the kind of love damon have for elena doesn’t die either but I hope it does

nancy

Posted at 10:41 AM on April 1, 2012

My comment goes to nora btw :)

hala

Posted at 9:42 AM on April 1, 2012

DELENA FOREVEEEEEEEEEER CAUSE I LOVE DAMON AND I THING THAT HE DESERVE TO BE HAPPY AND THE SERIE WILL BE DISASTER IF DELENA DIDN’t wiiiiiiiiiiiiin.DAMON IS THE BAST CHOODE FOR ELENA IF SHE HAS TO CHOOSE

Bet

Posted at 7:57 AM on April 1, 2012

kill Originals,they are absolutely uninteresting.
The best is Delena!

Zak

Posted at 7:37 AM on April 1, 2012

The happy end is Delena’s wedding!

Polly

Posted at 7:32 AM on April 1, 2012

All were tired to wait to Delena!

Vik

Posted at 7:27 AM on April 1, 2012

Want to raise a rating? Give Delena!

Kat

Posted at 6:44 AM on April 1, 2012

If Delena in the 3rd season isn’t, 4 I will not look(((

Olya

Posted at 6:37 AM on April 1, 2012

We believe in Delena!

Romi

Posted at 6:19 AM on April 1, 2012

Delena forever!!!

ee:)

Posted at 6:12 AM on April 1, 2012

STELENA, forever and ever :) Read the question.. It’s not who you like the best, it’s who the winner is this week and that is STELENA OFC :** <3 LOVE 'EM :P FOREVER!!!!!!! :D <3333

tina

Posted at 6:15 AM on April 1, 2012

AGREE! read the question:) STELENA IS THE BEST ! fuck damon, he’s selfish and booooooring -.- STEFAN IS.. :O stefan is everythig that a girl wants and needs in a boy ^___^ THAT KINDA LOVE NEVER DIES, STELENAAAAAAAAA AL THE WAY !!!!!!!!! <33333333333333333

T

Posted at 9:08 PM on March 31, 2012

I will seriously stop watching this show if there won’t be at least one season of a pure Delena relationship!!! Damon has said numorous times that Elena is his brother’s girl, but Stefan is so selfish, he wants her all to himself! Only an idiot wouldn’t fall for Damon after everythimg he’s done to help Elena find Stefan knowning he might loose her!!! Stefan has tried to push her away so many times it hurst my eyes, and who’s always been there to comfort her??? DAMON that’s who!!!! It’s so unfair for us Delena fans to always have to look at the whole Stelena crap and see Damon being the heart broken one, no wonder he somethimes does stupid things. I know Elena lost almost everyone in her life but at the end of the day Damon is always the last one left while Stefan is somewhere hiding!!! Elena should wake up and see what’s right in front of her… for 3 seasons I had to put up with Elena constantly hurting Damon and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. This whole show is starting to become a one line show and that line is, Elena: ‘ I don’t know’, seriously??? that’s all I have to say… DELENA FOREVER AND EVER!!! <3

Lisa

Posted at 11:45 PM on March 31, 2012

I agree. If Delena are not together by the end of this season I quit the show. Delena fans have waited long enough and Damon deserves to be happy and have Elena tell him she loves him.

Vik

Posted at 4:48 PM on April 1, 2012

I agree too !!!

Fernanda

Posted at 4:28 PM on March 31, 2012

“Crazy or not, that kind of love never dies”
SE FOREVER. Because “I will always love you”

Anu

Posted at 2:39 PM on March 31, 2012

Delena…cause though it was a dream which damon saw…but dreams cm frm thoughts of ur own mind….though elena never came…but his dream showed us how much elena means to damon..n also when elena said “i don know what kind f feeling is dat”d vry dream of damon got life..n dn u can visualize it as smthng that happnd..so 4 me itz delena..n also wn stephen askd elena to say dat “you dont have feelings for him!” she wasnt abl to…so itz delena week

Win

Posted at 2:18 PM on March 31, 2012

Delena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miley

Posted at 1:44 PM on March 31, 2012

Delena! Diden’t have to think.

Klaus a dick face. Thats just mean.

Stelena is booring. Without delena the vampire diaries would be boring.

Romi

Posted at 4:50 PM on April 1, 2012

Yes! Without Delena very boringly!

NiKa

Posted at 10:59 AM on March 31, 2012

Without Delena the series are boring(

Tinatin

Posted at 10:38 AM on March 31, 2012

Ratings fall!Originals the boring!kill them!1 и2 seasons were more interesting!There will be no Delena, ratings absolutely will fall!

Nora

Posted at 8:51 AM on March 31, 2012

Though I enjoy Damon and Elena scenes, I have to say that its wrong for Elena to contemplate loving Stefan’s brother after Stefan has done so much for both Elena and Damon. Damon really owes it to Stefan to back off and let them be. The reason Damon is even getting a chance to get close to Elena is because Stefan sacrificed himself FOR Damon. Damon has done nothing but kill innocent people (anyone remember Lexie?) and put Stefan through torment. I understand that Damon was heartbroken during that time and Elena helped him to be humane again but it would utterly disgraceful to go after your brother’s girl. Moreover, Damon has a lot of growing up to do. Its not simple for Elena to just let Stefan go and be with Damon, especially when she knows how much Stefan has sacrificed and how much he loves her. So, if Damon wants her, he has to be patient. He can’t just go around sleeping with random girls like Rebekah everytime he gets hurt. Last but not the least, Damon has killed people recklessly and every action of ours, especially one that hurts others, has a consequence. Damon has to compensate for all his wrong deeds before he can get the girl of his dreams. But, I hope the writers will let Damon have a girl who will be only HIS, a girl whose first priority will ALWAYS be him. The kind of love that Stefan and Elena has will never cease to exist, so, it will be better if Damon and Elena remain friends, Stefan and Elena get back and Damon finds someone who will be his perfect match. Even though I love Delena, I will always support Stelena because I know that it will be fair for Damon if he won’t end with Elena and it will be fair for Stefan if at least gets Elena after all the pain he has silently endured. I see a lot of people are hating Stefan because he killed people this season but do remember that he was under compulsion. What about all the people Damon killed and he was definitely not compelled then. I love Damon but please, Stefan’s heart is HUGE. He needs love too, just like Damon. Stefan deals with his pain and rejection in a discreet and mature way but he is hurting too.

XXL

Posted at 9:59 AM on March 31, 2012

Stefan wasn’t under compulsion all the time. And remember: in 1912 he was killing people for fun too! It’s also Stefans fault that Damon became vampire. He was always loved: firstly by his father, then by Katherine. Damon was always second choice. I hope this time it will be different. And Damon is so selfless and I’m sure that if Elena chose Stefan he would let the me be happy (like in 2×08). Stefan needs to mature. He’s never taking consequences of of his actions. Look at the accident on the Wickery Bridge when he almost killed Elena! He is the one who is responsible for his pain, because he chose revenge over love.

ariaht mae

Posted at 5:47 AM on April 1, 2012

i totally agree..I super love Stefan and elena together.

fillip

Posted at 6:44 AM on March 31, 2012

Damon+Elena=Love
Stefan+Kat=Love
Happy end!!!

ohhhhhh

Posted at 6:39 AM on March 31, 2012

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOD! WOULD YOU ALL PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP?!?!?!? We all have our opinions, and it’s going to be what it’s going to be. Please don’t lie that delena has more fans.. it’s not true and you know it, maybe on this site, yeah (since they have more votes) but in the whole world??? i don’t think so. i am stelena ofc, but it doesn’t matter.. i never inslut delena fans, it’s okay to like someone else.. but i’m pretty sure that at first you loved stelena, which is kinda hypocrite now that you swich sides… but its your problem, not mine. so please, im begging you STOP INSULTING EACH OTHER, IT IS FUCKING NORMAL TO LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS! and stop provoking julie plec!!! That is really rude. just live your live, this is only a tv show.. if it will help you nina and ian are together in real life. so what if its stelena on tv? just get over it. Goshhh. -.-

Kat

Posted at 5:25 AM on March 31, 2012

Delena! 60% > Stelena! 35.03% xo-xo:)

Julie Plec you understood?:)

Stella

Posted at 5:12 AM on March 31, 2012

DELENA !!!

stelena

Posted at 4:22 AM on March 31, 2012

I dont understand Elena! For the whole of season 3 shes been wanting Stefan back and when he finally tells her that he loves her she now has feelings for Damon! What?!?!?! Elena just choose one salvatore already!!

Maxi

Posted at 12:20 AM on March 31, 2012

Elena and Damon forever!!!!!!!

xoxo

Posted at 11:46 PM on March 30, 2012

First off, I’m a Stelena fan. But for them to have Elena in between brothers isn’t a good look. Like that’s so wh*rish. Elena and Damon are meant to be just friends.