'Once Upon A Time' Recap: Does Emma Finally Believe?

Sun, March 25, 2012 9:15pm EDT by 25 Comments

A devilishly handsome stranger — emphasis on the ‘devil’ part — finally opened Emma’s eyes to the secrets behind Storybrooke!

Gossip Girl taught me not to trust Sebastian Stan, and the March 25 episode of Once Upon A Time reminded me why: He may be able to charm the buttons off my remote control, but he’s also one of the shadiest gents around. As Jefferson — Storybrooke’s equivalent to the Mad Hatter — he kidnapped Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) in an attempt to get his daughter back. Oh, did I mention he’s also one of the only characters who know exactly who he is?

In the fairy tale world, the Hatter lived alone with his daughter Grace, until of course, he agreed to do a favor for the Queen (Lana Parrilla). He brought her into Wonderland, where he thought he was helping her get something back from the Queen of Hearts, but she had other plans. She used one of Wonderland’s magic mushrooms to revive her father — you know, the guy she killed in order to get her powers? — and left the Hatter alone to fend for himself. So thoughtful.

(Side note: Did anyone else think it was weird that we never saw the Queen of Heart’s face? Or really heard her voice? And that she referred to the evil queen by her Storybrooke name, “Regina”? There’s definitely more going on with the Queen of Hearts, and I can’t wait to find out what it is!)

Back in Storybrooke, Jefferson explained to Emma that everything Henry (Jared Gilmore) has been saying is true, and the only way to get his “real” daughter back is for Emma to magically sew a hat that could transport him to Wonderland. Sound crazy? That’s what Emma thought too, so she and Mary Maraget went all Brooke-and-Peyton on Psycho Jefferson’s ass and kicked him out the window. And, like all psychos, he vanished into thin air.

But the whole ordeal wasn’t a total bust. Thanks to Jefferson’s psychotic ramblings, Emma is now starting to believe in the existence of another world, so much so that she asked Henry to borrow his book of fairy tales.

She also convinced Mary Margaret to return to her jail cell, and we learned it was Mr. Gold (Robert Carlyle) who planted the key in her cell in the first place! Just when I was starting to trust him, it turns out out he’s been working with Regina all along.

Remind me never to trust Mr. Gold ever again.

So what do you make of tonight’s episode? What do you think the deal is between Regina and the Queen of Hearts? Who’s Mr. Gold really helping? And, seriously, how badly do you want Jefferson to be in every single episode? Hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time updates

Christine

Posted at 12:55 AM on April 2, 2012

Please tell me I’m not the only person who noticed that the Hatter’s name was Jefferson (as in Airplane, the group that sang ”White Rabbit”) and the daughter’s name was Grace (as in Slick, the singer of said group). Now I’m just trying to figure out the Jefferson Airplane/White Rabbit reference for Paige!

I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task Thanks for the sensible critique. Me

Posted at 9:16 PM on April 1, 2012

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your website in internet explorer, might test this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a good section of people will leave out your magnificent writing because of this problem.

Loveislegend

Posted at 2:13 AM on April 1, 2012

First off, I love this show. Second, I’ve noticed a lot of people asking where Alice was in this episode and if she was in one of the heart boxes. In the Alice in Wonderland tales, the Mad Hatter was already mad. This episode gave reason to his madness, so I think that Alice’s arrival to Wonderland was later than this episode.

I think Rumpy / Mr. Gold is playing a long con on Regina, even as much as I don’t want to trust him, I can’t help it. I want him to be good so badly! Maybe it’s his accent :P

Maybe the QoH is Regina’s mom? Never thought of it but now it’s something I’m thinking about…

Angela

Posted at 2:12 PM on March 27, 2012

I think I am in love with the Mad Hottie. S.S. was absolutely amazing and the chemistry between him and Emma was far better than her and Booth’s. I agree with the thinking that the Queen of Hearts is Regina’s mother. She wants to be the only queen, wanted leverage over Regina and Regina said she knew “better than most” about what the QoH does to people that cross them. I am hoping that Alice is Grace’s mother- just wishful thinking on my part and not probably true.

Buzz

Posted at 5:48 PM on March 26, 2012

But every spell is broken with true love’s kiss… And his deal is somewhat a curse so maybe he wouldn’t keep his power?

sara

Posted at 2:14 PM on March 26, 2012

I was thinking, If Rumple’s power can only be taken from him by being stabbed thru the heart….Technically Belle could kiss him and he should remain powerful after turning back to himself. He just wouldn’t realize that. He would (as he promised Baelfire)use his power for good as he wanted to originally. Hmmmm. That would be a good way to end their story at the shows series finale. Rumple, Belle and his son. Hmmmm.

Also, does anyone else think Rumplestiltskin and the Queen may be related somehow? Brother, sister etc. That would be a twist. They seem to argue like siblings.

Jack

Posted at 2:18 PM on March 26, 2012

Very good point. Rumple wouldn’t lose his powers at all if Belle kisses him. Wow,interesting. He shut her out and how sad is that? UGH.

Amy

Posted at 5:46 PM on March 26, 2012

LISA

Posted at 2:07 PM on March 26, 2012

I love this show very much. I haven’t been this addicted to a show since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I just hope the writers don’t ruin the show in the end as Joss Whedon did for BTVS. I don’t even watch the 7th season of Buffy because the writers seemed to forget the characters journey they wrote for them. I love OUAT even more, and I hope no matter how long the show runs, in the end, I want to see these characters happy. I don’t mind waiting through the twist and turns & misery, but if the last season ends without being true to the theme of true loves kiss, I will be very disappointed. So far this show is the best new thing on tv. I love Gold/Rumple and Belle. They are a must, I mean don’t we all want someone to love us, warts and all? That episode was so well written. I love all the characters. Emma is so cool!

Krist

Posted at 10:20 AM on March 26, 2012

I LOVE Sebastian Stan as the Mad Hatter. He brought an amazing talent to it and to the show. I wish he’d return. I hope he returns and even becomes a regular at some point. I think he has been the best “co-star” so far to come in for one episode. He delivered.

Amy

Posted at 1:21 AM on March 26, 2012

If Jefferson has been trapped in the house for 28 years, how did he get out in the first place to get sideswiped by Emma’s car?

E

Posted at 9:21 AM on March 26, 2012

He wasn’t literally trapped, I guess he meant he had nowhere else to go since no one can leave Storybrooke (and even if he could he can’t leave his daughter behind)

Amy

Posted at 5:44 PM on March 26, 2012

Ah, I see. I thought he was stuck inside and that’s why he disappeared out the window but I suppose he could have just gone int the hat.

Heather

Posted at 10:01 AM on March 26, 2012

Great point bringing up the 28 years… No one else in town has a concept of the time passage…

Also, my apologies… I thought the queen of hearts kept the hearts of her victims in te drawers but it was their miniature selves… Who wants to bet that Alice is in the one that was glowing?

Oh and did you see the different worlds in that room before the looking glass? Oz anyone? :-)

Heather

Posted at 10:28 PM on March 25, 2012

I am wondering if the Queen of Hearts is Regina’s mother. That would explain why she took Regina’s dad’s heart. Also, did anyone see the box above and to the right of Regina’s dad’s? It was glowing … I wonder whose heart that is….

Regarding Gold, I think he is playing a long con on Regina… He’s not on her team… He has his own agenda and when he finds out she’s had Belle all along, God help her.

Going back to tonights story…where was Alice? They said Jefferson had been to Wonderland before… Perhaps with Alice. I wonder if Alice was Grace’s mother. Also, when Jefferson disappeared after going thru the window, does anyone thing he went back?

Finally, Regina’s name was always Regina – in both fairytale and storybrooke. Just like Jeffersons was the same in both.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on March 25, 2012

“I am wondering if the Queen of Hearts is Regina’s mother.”

I love it.

“Regina’s name was always Regina – in both fairytale and storybrooke.”

Good call. IDK what I was thinking :P

Eve

Posted at 10:42 AM on March 26, 2012

I think you might be right about the queen of hearts being Regina’s mother. We know that Regina’s mom’s name is Cora and guess what is the latin for Heart? Cor! (add an a at the end to make it a female name and we have Cora). And the queen of hearts “isn’t one for subtlety” is she?!
And by the way the latin for queen is Regina!
I think their names are telling a lot about them….

Heather

Posted at 11:07 AM on March 26, 2012

Great catch Eve! I wonder why all the face masks etc in wonderland…

Amy

Posted at 5:54 PM on March 26, 2012

Im not sure about the original cartoon, but I remember the Johnny Depp version had the queens peeps with false body parts that would fall off and they looked like these guys. I think they were to make the queen feel better about her looks so maybe that explains the need for the vail??

Cheryl

Posted at 12:53 PM on March 27, 2012

Rather than mother, I think the Queen of Hearts is Regina’s sister…

Hope

Posted at 10:14 PM on March 25, 2012

I’m getting sink of the writers giving us background stories and then the character not showing up again in storybrooke (cough cough BELLE!!! IMISS HER!!) so I’m really hoping The Hatter shows back up and might possibly have a Emma/Hatter romance. I thOught his storyline was heartbreaking. I was actually starting to think Emma was believing before he hit him with the telescope.
EMMA IS REALLY STARTING TO TICK ME OFF. I thought I hated Elena(VD) I dislike EMMA more.

P.S Also am I the only one annoyed that we get these background stories almost randomly and then the next weeks we never see the characters again. What happened to Hansel and Gretal?

Cecilia

Posted at 10:27 PM on March 25, 2012

But Emma is starting to believe more; do you remember her asking Henry for the book? She saw Paige/Grace going into school, and then asked for the book. Don’t you see? She’s starting to believe now!

Does that answer your question?

Ash

Posted at 10:53 PM on March 25, 2012

The reason we don’t see Belle in Storybrooke is because she’s not walking around the streets free like all of the other characters. She’s locked up in a room of the mental hospital being held prisoner by Regina.

And this is the first season of the show, so many of the episodes are spent laying down the back stories of all of the different characters and filling in the gaps about what happened to them in their past lives. With time I’m certain that all of the characters will make another appearance, we need to be patient until then.

And I think Emma is awesome. She’s had a tough life and thus finds is hard to believe in magic and fairy tales, and who can really blame her for that? But the significant thing to take note of is that she’s beginning to believe, and obviously in time she will believe for good. We just have to give her time.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:12 PM on March 25, 2012

BELLE! I almost forgot she existed.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:12 PM on March 25, 2012

While I agree the Hansel and Gretel episode was pretty lame, this week’s episode really moved the story along. And I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more of Wonderland ;)