'Gossip Girl' Can't End Next Season — Chair And Dair Fans Need To Come Together

Fri, March 16, 2012 6:49pm EST by 130 Comments

If ‘Gossip Girl’ producers shorten its final season, it will be a disservice to ALL shippers! Chair, Dair, Derena, HECK — even CHERENA fans — ‘Gossip Girl’ needs our support!

A new report has surfaced that Gossip Girl producers are going to cut short season 6 — its alleged final season — due to poor ratings. If this is true, Gossip Girl could potentially only have 10 to 15 episodes to go and then its life as a series is over. Just writing these words bring tears to my eyes. Gossip Girl is my favorite show; I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet!

It’s no secret these are some very troubling times for the CW show. It’s safe to say these the Dark Ages of Gossip Girl. Even though the show attracted 1.4 million viewers for its 100th episode Jan. 30, that still was a significant drop from the 3.4 million viewers that tuned in for the season 2 premiere in 2008. Coincidentally or not so coincidentally, this was the season that primarily focused on the relationship between Chuck (Ed Westwick) and Blair (Leighton Meester).

Now, before you Dair fans call me biased and attack me for being a Chair fan, the numbers show viewers favor Chair over Dair. And while this is difficult for me to propose, I think it needs to be done because if the final season of Gossip Girl is going to be shortened, it would be a disappointment to ALL fans. The series wouldn’t end how it was originally planned to end!

So no matter what ship you ship, we’ve all been treading the same water here and it’s time for us to come together for Gossip Girl — the show we love and enjoy to watch!

So this is my challenge to all fans! We need to keep watching the show. We can’t give up just yet! Gossip Girl fans, we can’t let the final season be shortened!

Vote and sound off in your comments below.

– Nicole Karlis

More Gossip Girl news:

1. ‘Gossip Girl’ Spoiler: Chuck & Blair Are ‘Never Over,’ Producers Reveal
  2. Nicole Says: Chuck Bass Go Find Blair Waldorf, YOUR Runaway Bride
  3. New ‘Gossip Girl’ Pics: Blair Waldorf Sleeps With Dan Humphrey In The Airport

megs

Posted at 4:02 AM on March 17, 2012

i know many are beyond irritated that dair is happening right now. well what did the writers expect… the entire season blair and chuck always say the love each other but there is always something that kept them apart. thats like a slap in the face. then blair out of the blue falls for dan… now that is a punch in the face.

liz

Posted at 3:00 AM on March 17, 2012

Please!!! Just end this show already, the less episodes they get the better, just get Chair back together now!!!

Jenna

Posted at 2:40 AM on March 17, 2012

Just the fact that no one seems to be able to discuss the show rationally anymore without getting into an argument over Chair vs. Dair is a sign of how bad it’s gotten. They sacrificed relationships, friendships, plots, etc. – all for the sake of a ship war that’s not only divided the fandom, but has also bored casual viewers half to death.

What does it matter if Chuck and Blair get the happy ending I’ve been waiting 5 years for, when I’m insulting my own intelligence by watching a show that expects me to believe a blood transfusion requires a family member instead of … you know, a blood bank?

lexie

Posted at 2:59 AM on March 17, 2012

I think you have the best post all night. The Chair vs. Dair stuff does say what the show has sacrificed and wittled the show down to. I remember when people discussed characters and what made sense for this one and what the actions for that one meant. Now it’s nothing but people shouting Chair or Dair. When a show that was so good is now just people talking ships, that’s when you know the writing has done nothing for the fandom, a fandom that is under half of what it was last year. The reason why the show could get canceled or have fewer episodes comes down to writing. The writers lost site of who their characters were and thought they could throw out any plot or story line, even sacrifice characters, and expect fans to keep coming back. It just doesn’t work that way. If you slap someone enough, they will stop coming near you, it’s human nature. I think the fans feel slapped in the face for the most part and they should. The show isn’t written well and the writers treat their audience like fools. How can they expect loyalty when they hardly seem to know what one character did 3 episodes ago? It’s just a shotty show and it’s sad because many used to really love this show. Now it seems more want it gone.

4everchuck

Posted at 1:39 AM on March 17, 2012

The abuse card is getting pretty old. if thats abuse looks like me up! , I wouldnt mind EW / CB on me like that!!!!!

The show sucks!!! they have screwed everyone over!!! the only good thing is because its a short season it may not suck as bad!

MrsDexterHaven

Posted at 2:07 AM on March 17, 2012

Very true! Let’s face it, the show sucks. You can’t blame it on Chair. They get like a 60 scene per/ episode.

If you look at the ratings very closely cancellation status drops stating occurring in the second half of season 4. Before that episodes always had 2 million viewers or more. Well what did do different during the second half of season 4 until now? hmm? head scratcher!

Mrsdexterhaven

Posted at 2:08 AM on March 17, 2012

*started, not stating.

Mrsdexterhaven

Posted at 2:24 AM on March 17, 2012

I am not going to sit here and blame it all on Dair. Dair is a problem that most people hate (ie: less that a million viewers), I think the bigger problem is that the show stopped making sense. They will do 10 episode long story arcs that go out with a thud instead of a bang, and then do a complete 180 with out properly giving closure to anything.

For example: They spent 10 whole episodes on Blair’s pregnancy. She lost the baby, and they mentioned twice so far for like 2 seconds per mention, and we did not see Blair mourning for this baby at all. The excuse for that is that she mourned off screen. Well thank you very much, but you just showed me this arc for 10 episode, you think Blair could mourn on screen for at least 1 episode? Hello?!

It’s stuff like that. Why drag out these arcs forever, if we are not going to get anything out of them? Did the writers think we would just forget? When they do things like that, they leave the audience confused.

PS: TO ALL The Dair fans that attempting to blame this on Chair because (according to you) the ratings lowered when Chair was together too. Your arguments are invalid because they have nothing to do with this season. Chuck and Blair get like 60 second scenes per episode. Most of them are just endless obstacles about why they can’t be together. Dair has done nothing to correct this problem and is making worse than ever before. So really, there is no way you can turn this around, even though you will try. Just get over it.

4everchuck

Posted at 2:32 AM on March 17, 2012

I agree! CB can’t be blamed the show dropped mid season 4 and this season has had the biggest drop I think that tells you something! It’s not just DB but they are symptom to the problem just misconstrued SLs and the lack of character interaction! Explains eps on twitter to your fans isn’t going to cut it!

MrsDexterHaven

Posted at 2:44 AM on March 17, 2012

When the explanation does not match what we have seen for several episodes, that is also a problem, lol.

The GG writers have asked us to believe that Dan was the good guy when he ruined Blair’s wedding. That was him being selfless and he wasn’t trying to come between Chuck and Blair at all! Oh really? Then why did he blame the whole thing on Chuck for 5 episodes? Why did he let Serena take the fall when she “confessed” ? Why did he threaten Georgina? Why did he lie to Blair repeatedly? Why did this all happen for more than one episode, if Dan is supposed to be the good guy? The GG writers are now the GG morons!

4everchuck

Posted at 2:55 AM on March 17, 2012

I so agree with all if this! They say one thing but the shows says another! They can spin however they want the fact of the matter is if the actually kept up with what they wrote , the fans would know the characters true intentions . Also I don’t buy it not being his intention because of everything you said and also EW said in a interview said Dan was a step a head! This comes back to the essay scene that was never filmed . I guess they see themselves in Dan. All summer I defended them , but enough is enough! I’m tired they have shot themselves in the foot!

Meg

Posted at 1:36 AM on March 17, 2012

I won’t lie this season has really made me dislike the show so hearing it may get canceled isn’t really that surprising. this show hasn’t felt like the true Gossip Girl since 4.09 of last year. The writers made it into an alternate show that lost about 1.4 million viewers and when you lose viewers you cannot get them back usually. Does Dair own the entire fault for it-no, but there were too many things the show messed up to pretend the pairing ever worked. I agree with a lot of people when they say Blair has been a shell of herself. She has and the writers admitted she was supposed to look OOC, which doesn’t make sense if this is the character most focused on. She changes her mind every episode and it’s irritating. While they’ve had Blair deteriorate, Chuck and Serena have been blossoming. Unfortunately they’ve also had their hearts trampled on over and over all season and that just gets painful to watch. Dan is really not interesting anymore. He’s become irritating and obnoxious. The Dan I liked in season 1 is just never coming back, I guess.Stories don’t go anywhere and who cares about the revolving guest stars? I don’t. If they have a shortened season it might be enough time to “fix” things but I’m skeptical because this season is a mess.

Stephanie

Posted at 1:25 AM on March 17, 2012

Ha! ha! Dair is the fail ship FOR SURE! Most hate it! Hate it and I’m so happy! GGWriters had cancelation coming and they deserve it after doing Dair. Chuck and Blair is what most like and even dumb Dair fans know it.Chuck and Blair ENDGAME!

Step

Posted at 1:20 AM on March 17, 2012

Chuck and Blair had the highest episode ratings ever Dan and Blair the worst. The writers were stupid to take the Dair direction and the writing for that is engraved on the wall to that fact (check ratings). They need to write how they did in seasons one and two and go back to what the audience tuned in for, which would be Chuck and Blair, Serena and Blair, NJBC, and forget the boring guest stars being a focus.

Carrie

Posted at 1:14 AM on March 17, 2012

I’m not getting Ban fans actually thinking they are adding fans when the ratings are clearly the worst in history of GG but I don’t understand alot of what Ban fans blather on about anyway.For me, DB did hurt the show. It wasn’t all their fault but alot went down to make it happen. Blair has been nuts this year and the girl going near D pretty much points that she’s crazy. I just think the writing was bad with the exception of Chuck and Serena. The show is boring now. People are bored and Ban isn’t helping to entertain, obviously

dora

Posted at 1:08 AM on March 17, 2012

Definitely blame DB for this. Ever since they Daired to be retarded with this show and poor Blair, the show has been terrible.Horrid, really. I can’t wait for Chuck and Blair to come back so I can quit reading the irrational, non-sensical Dair fans arguments. Chuck and Blair will be back together so I’ll watch when that happens.

Pam

Posted at 1:04 AM on March 17, 2012

DAIR FTW :DDDDD

bheartsdfan

Posted at 12:59 AM on March 17, 2012

Why do Chuck and Blair fans have to state their case about ratings? If you don’t think Dan is a threat, then let it go and watch the show. This is just a TV show. That’s it. It’s not that important in the scheme of things. There are so many more important things in the world. People that stop watching cause something doesn’t go their way, seriously need to grow up, and all I feel is pity for them. It’s sad. I understand why Dair fans say Chair fans have to be so young.

jessica

Posted at 5:45 PM on March 26, 2012

you need to get 1 thing straight the show has to care about what the fans want, if they didn’t care they will obviously lose views. why are people going to watch something they don’t enjoy so the show can keep the views up it doesn’t work that way, if fans don’t see anything they like they have to right to stop watching it.

what you don’t realise is the GG writes need to consider what the fans want to get the views and to keep their show. since season 4 GG have not considered what the fans want their writing stupid story lines that they would like to see which is why their losing views. SIMPLE
Chair fans aren’t all young people everyone in my family watch this show even my grandparents and they all love CHAIR

BWALDORF

Posted at 12:55 AM on March 17, 2012

I like both Dan and Blair and Chuck and Blair. I don’t really care about endgame. I enjoy all the characters. However, I do see the argument by Dair fans. It’s frustrating to see the way Chuck has treated Blair. I understand all girls wanna fix a bad boy and fantasies and stuff like that, but Dan/Blair fans have a right to like who they like. My best friend is a Dair fan, and I’m completely alright with that cause they do have chemistry and even if I preferred Chair, I also want Blair to be happy, and she seems happy with Dan. End of story. No matter the side.

Sarah

Posted at 12:52 AM on March 17, 2012

Why would anyone like Chuck/Blair? It’s considered an abusive relationship, and if you can’t see that I’m willing to bet 3/4ths of you are under the age of 18. No woman would want to be treated the way that Chuck treats Blair. He treated her like PROPERTY, what’s your answer to that? What has Dan done that is that horrible? Did Dan almost punch Blair in the face or sell her to his uncle? Did he sleep with her arch enemy? Did he try to rape a 14/15 year old girl? Come on girls, lets grow up and realize Chuck/Blair may have chemistry and be fun to watch, but that’s not true love. There are tons of Dan/Blair fans. In 3 weeks their videos have half a million views. Look it up!

Jenna

Posted at 2:46 AM on March 17, 2012

By whom is it considered an abusive relationship, exactly? Not by me, certainly. And, no, I am not under the age of 18. Have fun losing that bet.

Chuck already apologized for everything he’s done to Blair, and he’s become a much better man since then. It’s not about what Chuck has done vs. what Chuck has done. It’s about what viewers enjoy and, clearly, more people enjoy watching CB.

(As for did Dan sleep with Blair’s arch enemy? Uh… He’s slept with Georgina, Vanessa and with Blair’s best friend Serena, so…)

sarah

Posted at 5:16 AM on March 17, 2012

my answer to that is you do not understand these writers. they WANTED dair to happen, if you fell for their trap then good for you. they through chuck under the bus and run him over. and the pimped dan up sooo much. and you no what, despite this chuck is still way more popular then dan will ever be, no matter how hard the writers try to make us love dan and hate chuck

Kathy

Posted at 12:49 AM on March 17, 2012

1. The bad ratings aren’t because of Dan and Blair. If you paid attention the ratings have steadily dropped every single season! Even when Chuck and Blair got together the ratings weren’t as good as they were in Season 2, and on and on and on. The lowest rated episode of season 3 was the episode that Chuck and Blair were a serious ”couple’. If you really wanted to write an article on GG fans standing together, you wouldn’t have pointed that out. In fact, most polls show recently that fans are pretty equally split on who they like. I love the show, don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge Dair shipper, but truthfully, the seasons writing isn’t as good as it used to be. I think Dan and Blair are very well written, but a lot of the drama has been unrealistic and badly written. Ivy/Charlie, not caring about loosing baby, pact with God, marrying Louis, etc etc! And what about Nate? I hardly recognize him anymore, with them only giving him 2 minutes per episode and sleeping with older women, as per usual. Disappointing. I’ll miss GG, but sadly, if the writing is lacking what can you do? Don’t get me wrong, they deserve to finish the season, I just don’t think it’s gonna happen cause of bad writing loosing viewers, not DAIR! DAIR FTW :D

Jenna

Posted at 12:47 AM on March 17, 2012

I can’t say the show doesn’t deserve to be canceled at this point. The writers trying to make Dan “happen” and ruining Blair Waldorf to do so disgusts me. They should have focused on what worked before: Chuck and Blair, Serena and Blair, the NJBC. Those work but now the show is just terrible and I don’t think it can recover.

Firingaway

Posted at 12:43 AM on March 17, 2012

It’s funny Bland fans are trying to talk their way out of what obvious. Numbers don’t lie, Blanders, the public hates Bland and what it turned Blair into- a weak character. Chuck and Blair have barely had scenes this year, so you can’t blame them, Blanders. Bad writing, OOC bs, and the writers tanked the show. Bland bored the audience.

Mary

Posted at 12:26 AM on March 17, 2012

If Chuck and Blair attracted so many viewers, how come the show lost millions of them when they were a couple? This isn’t about couples, it’s simply that the show isn’t as good as it used to be. The quality decreased and so did the viewership (even WHEN Chuck and Blair were together), no surprise here.

Also, you’ve got some really poor taste, lady.

Jenna

Posted at 2:43 AM on March 17, 2012

I’m pretty sure this has been answered many times, but … there’s a difference between a steady decline over the course of many episodes, which happened in previous seasons, and a sharp decline IN THE MIDDLE OF an episode. If someone is turning off the TV during an episode, it’s because they don’t want to finish what they were already watching.

Nico

Posted at 12:07 AM on March 17, 2012

The show needs to let the final season focus on our main cast and stop giving the spotlight to guest stars we don’t care about. Nate and Blair haven’t exchanged words at all this season. I wanna see more friendship scenes and more family scenes. Remember when you were interested in Rufus and Lily?

jane

Posted at 12:04 AM on March 17, 2012

This show doesn’t need a longer 6th season. It’s time for it to go. The actors are ready to go. 10 to 15 episodes is enough to finish the story. And don’t try to blame Dair for low ratings. Let’s be honest here, Gossip isn’t the best written show these days. The dialogue betwn Chuck and Blair has been worse than a soap opera this season, and some of the plot lines were horrible. Plus majority of shows ratings go down as time goes on.

Zari

Posted at 11:55 PM on March 16, 2012

It’s not about Chair only, CB weren’t together on the second half of S1, didn’t get together until the end of season 2. After they broke up I still watched. The show went downhill on the second half of S4. It was not DB as friends, but the fact that they were isolated from the rest of the characters. The individual character stories became boring. NOTHING happens, all of S5 has been boring. The only ones doing something are Nate and Serena and they don’t really have a story line. The show has become a joke, the core relationships were forgotten.

Leigh

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 16, 2012

The show really doesn’t even a chance at a sixth season at this point. Look, they had a chance to fix this show this season and not repeat the mistakes they made at the end of season 4 again when the Ratings dropped a lot. Instead of dropping DB and actually working on Chuck and Blair they decided to continue the DB story line, Blair marrying a boring guest star, and Blair so OOC she’s hardly recognizable at this point. Also, they decided to make everything about Blair. When the show was good, it centered on all the characters. I like Blair, but since it’s not even Blair at the moment, I can’t really take the show. the writers just really screwed up the whole show instead of fixing things, they ignored their audience and paid for it.

elizabeth

Posted at 10:34 PM on March 16, 2012

This season, with lip service Serena and Blair, as well as myriad other issues was already a disservice to fans. Perhaps a short season will help the writers focus. I have not fully enjoyed a single episode this season, because it was all about stalling for the stupid wedding bu fans wanted and then putting Blair with Dan at a considerable cost to her character. I’m Team “Wrap it up, writers.”

Jane

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 16, 2012

GG deserves to be killed with fire. Safran has made it a shell of its former self, the characters I once knew and loved I barely recognise. In reality it shouldn’t even be getting a 6th season. There are so many quality shows out there that get cancelled before their time and instead GG is the show that never dies. All I can hope for (my hopes are pretty low for even this), is that it gives the characters the endings they deserve and the show is sent off in a dignified manner.

Mroisman

Posted at 10:02 PM on March 16, 2012

Agreed. People were invested in Chair. They made the covers of magazines and were heavily promoted. The recent storylines have been awful.

Anne

Posted at 9:57 PM on March 16, 2012

I’m sorry, but no. If the writing was as good as it was back in Season 1 and the first half of Season 2, then more people would be watching. Right now the show is plot driven and everyone is acting OOC. GG deserves to be cancelled.