'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Stefan Relapses & Elena Admits She 'Can't Shake' Damon

Thu, March 15, 2012 11:49pm EST by 27 Comments

Plus, the Mystic Falls serial killer is revealed — and it’s so not who you thought it was!

After what felt like the longest month of my life, The Vampire Diaries returned with a new episode March 15 — and it was so full of mystery solving that I half-expected the Scooby Gang to roll into town. It was also full of flashbacks to 1912, which helped Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley) solve the most crucial mystery of all: the identity of the Mystic Falls serial killer!

In a massive twist I definitely didn’t see coming, the stab-happy murderer turned out to be none other than Alaric (Matt Davis), who is apparently being driven mad after being brought back to life by his enchanted ring so many times. The same thing happened to a nice crazy lady by the name of Samantha Gilbert back in 1912. (Unrelated thought: I miss Jeremy.)

Unaware that Alaric was actually guilty of his crimes, Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Matt (Zach Roerig) teamed up to prove his innocence, which involved them breaking into Meredith’s (Torrey DeVitto) house to steal the old Gilbert journal. She caught them, but it was all good, because she knew all about his little condition and was actually trying to protect him. (But do we really trust her? I mean, I don’t, but do you?)

This week’s episode also was also like an Easter basket full of goodies for the Elena-Matt shippers out there. Not only did the duo share a jog, but they also had a seven-minutes-in-heaven moment while rooting through Meredith’s closet. And then there was the sympathetic ear he lent her at the end, while she droned on and on (and on) about her Salvatore drama. Matt claims he’s human, but I’m still waiting for the story line that reveals he’s actually a genetically (and emotionally) perfect android of friendship and romance.

Now let’s talk about that Salvatore drama, shall we? Elena told Matt she still has idealistic thoughts about Stefan actually giving up blood and returning to the cuddly vampire she knew and loved — but that Damon is occupying her thoughts more right now. “Damon sort of snuck up on me,” she said. “He got under my skin, and no matter what I do, I can’t shake him.”

“Once you fall in love with someone, I don’t know if you can ever shake them,” Matt told her — which is so, so true.

So which brother is winning this eternal tug-of-war? Well, the fact that Elena actually caught Stefan nomming on a human — even if it was part of Damon’s sick twisted plan to recover his brother’s humanity — certainly didn’t earn him any points with her this week.

Lastly, we also met Sage (Cassidy Freeman) this week, who’s basically responsible for teaching Damon that ladies are play things. So I guess we all have her to thank for Damon being the snarky womanizer he is today! The next time we see her will be in present-day Mystic Falls, but you might have trouble recognizing her — you know, without any of her clothes on.

God, I missed this show!

What did you think of this week’s major revelations? Do you think Alaric’s condition will lead to his highly speculated death? Do you think Meredith’s days are also numbered? And which Salvatore brother do YOU think is winning in the ongoing fight for Elena? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

rachael ojei

Posted at 10:49 PM on April 5, 2012

Pls for once could you guys just make a direct website where u can download or watch it easily wit just one click without any process pls I have been trying to watch S03 E16 for a long time and it kips showing me different websites that lead to no good plss………..

Sara wayne patience

Posted at 1:36 PM on March 19, 2012

I don’t think Alaric is the killer, and i would like it if Damon won Elena’s love. Delena for ever

Nicole

Posted at 7:46 AM on March 18, 2012

Alaric!! :( i think its jeremy also.. hes been killed a few times also :L .. maybe he didnt leave.. he could of just pretended or something, aduno buh im hoping theres a twist :)

i sort of do trust Dr Fell, she was acc looking out for Alaric and i foun that kind of sweet.. it makes me feel that Alaric can be happy with this women.. he never gets to just be happy :(

And for Elena, i couldnt care less who she ends u with now..

Im a huge STELENA fan but tis is just awful.. Shes loving the attention from the 2 brothers and its really annoying me now.. just pick one or none, itl save us alot of time.

And if shes going to pick Damon, then id say it would b a very interesting couple, but also very werid .. having a relationship with your ex’s brother :L CREEPY. lol

And if its Stefen, then hurry up and make a move before he thinks hes lost you forever and moves on and probable away from mystic falls..

Ps i love you recaps Andy :)

TVDFAN

Posted at 9:00 PM on March 16, 2012

I can’t believe that Alaric is the killer!!!!! I so didn’t expect him! But it did make a lot more sense then Damon or Stefan at this point. I mean I would rather it be alaric then one of the Salvatores! I Elena should just get over Stefan… I mean at the state he is at she could be eaten! Damon cares for her more then Stefan at this point… Stefan proved that he cared more for Damon then Elena in the season 2 finale… I mean Damon dying would mean that stefan got elena to himself right? Damon loves her and Elena loves him even if she won’t admit it!

DELENA FOREVER! I LOVE THIS SHOW!

sabrina

Posted at 7:58 PM on March 16, 2012

Firstly alaric,a killer..so dnt bliv dat…so dnt trust dr.meredith fell…she’z spooky…with unclear motives…elena n damon drama…bullshit…elena n stephan bullshit…going 4ward n backward wit d salvatores is beginning 2 piss me off…both damon and stephan shld fall in luv wit sum new…diz elena drama z dumb n annoying..elena says stephan z a security blanket..dat z so nt true…damon sneeking up on ha…nonsense…dat gurl(elena) nidz brain formatting n surgery ,she’s jst a confused n messed up person..@least kathrine made her choice perfectly clear…

Jordanne

Posted at 5:44 PM on March 16, 2012

There needs to be more delana scenes next week, when there not together the show doesn’t feel the same!! I was completely shocked to find out that Alaric was the killer, but I’m still not 100% sure he is, as Jeremy also has one of those rings, what if he is the killer and never left. There is certainly one incident I can think of where he has the potential to be the killer( beheading the hybrid). There is no way I trust doctor fell, she could also easly be the killer! But yay! We saw Damon and stefan bonding and helping each other. I so don’t care about sage, rebekkah and Damon. Damon only hooked up with rebekkah in anger and to get back at elena, they have definafly taken this story line too far!

hills

Posted at 12:27 PM on March 16, 2012

dear andy,

i absolutely love your recaps. and oh. i still dont trust meredith. and matt is just a sweetheart. and damon.. damon is looooves. haha.

from a tvd fan on the other side of the globe.

grace

Posted at 9:05 AM on March 16, 2012

well finally it looked like elena came 2 the realization that that whole “it’s always gonna be stefan ” shit is just that..shit!! the lightbulb that just went off nearly lit up the screne. she realized her love 4 stefan was really her security blanket after her parents death. i don’t know how they will ever get back (not that i want them 2)but this on top of her being with him and still telling him she doesn’t know what love really is on what she thought was her last day as a human with the prospect of spending an eternity with her so called love 2 me does not make 4 an “epic” love. as 4 damon sneaking up on her and getting under her skin and her not being able 2 shake him. well all i gotta say is FINALLY!!!! inspite of everything he has done she still managed 2 4give him,understand him,know who his soul really is and fall in love with him eventhough she tried like hell not 2. when u fall in love with someone i don’t know if u can ever shake them being said right after elena tells matt she can’t shake damon wasn’t said 4 nothing. elena needed 2 be with stefan at the time and maybe he needed 2 be with her2, but what she needed at that time and what she needs and wants now r not the same. people change feelings change and our needs change as we do. elena knows she is not the same needy girl she was when she met stefan but instead a stronger woman. she doesn’t need a security blanket making her feel safe and loved she is strong enough 2 know that real love worthy of being called epic sometimes takes risks and uncertainty. damon’s arms r all the security she ever needed.

amy

Posted at 8:49 AM on March 16, 2012

i don’t trust the doctor!!!
and is samantha gilbert still alive?

winnie

Posted at 8:11 AM on March 16, 2012

I still dont think alaric is the killer… I think its jermery

Winnie

Posted at 8:00 AM on March 16, 2012

I still dont believe alaric is the killer, i have a feeling its jermery. he has the ring too…. maybe he never left…

TVD

Posted at 7:13 AM on March 16, 2012

I loved the episode for bringing back something we all love-more Stefan/Damon kickass moments. Those two are awesome.
Damon was back to being howlarious and Rebekkah did what she does best-look hot.
But Ohmigosh- Alaric is the killer. Well, I gotta say, when they started off with this plot line, I was wary, thinking the obvious-it’s the “sexy, psycho” Dr. Fell. This is too much to digest. However, I will never stop loving Alaric.
And the doc? I don’t think she’s permanent. (Though I wish they’d have some Meredith-Stefan scenes…I wanna see those two together ON screen as well! :( )
I also loved how Elena didn’t deny she was in love with Damon, but I’m still waiting for her to say it out loud. I may be hardcore Team Delena, but after this episode, I’m with everyone else-go Team Salvatore! :)

TVD

Posted at 6:46 AM on March 16, 2012

But Ohmigosh- Alaric is the killer. Well, I gotta say, when they started off with this plotline, I was wary, thinking the obvious-it’s the “sexy, psycho” Dr. Fell. This is too much to digest. However, I will never stop loving Alaric.

jerryn

Posted at 4:24 AM on March 16, 2012

i don’t trust her,the doctor .

jerryn

Posted at 4:22 AM on March 16, 2012

i don’t tryst her,the doctor . and i have this crazy feeling that someone we dearly love will die the end of the season

mvk

Posted at 3:35 AM on March 16, 2012

Charlotte and Romantic MeMe said it all. Damon was great tonight. I don’t trust Meredith. I can do without Sage and Elena is boring without the brothers. Brothers bonding is the best. Families need to stick together. Bad Stefan is still so much more fun than boring Stefan. Damon need some to love him and someone he can love.

Maxi

Posted at 1:51 AM on March 16, 2012

Stemon forever!!!

Toma

Posted at 1:48 AM on March 16, 2012

The best serial!!!!!!

Vik

Posted at 1:30 AM on March 16, 2012

Elena loves Damon:)

Angel

Posted at 1:29 AM on March 16, 2012

Super serial!!!

Andrea

Posted at 1:06 AM on March 16, 2012

Omg!! I wasn’t thinking alaric was kiler but that is really awesome! Now i’m not so sure of what to think about meredith but if she tried to protect him, well… But i’m seriously seriously freaking out about what Elena said about Damon!!! I knew she could not forget him and now that i know they will go to this high-school dance together I’m totally happy!!! Always DELENA!:3

Judy

Posted at 11:23 PM on March 15, 2012

Well…Age and wealth ain’t nothing but a number for
these loved-up A-Listers. My BF and I both think so! He
is almost 10 years older than I. We met via
~~–Agelessmeet .COM~~ a nice place for younger women
and older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other! Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends :)

RomanticMeme

Posted at 10:18 PM on March 15, 2012

Okay, I have my opinion ready now. Now please tell me I wasn’t the only one who loved Damon’s jokes today: Dearly diary, today a chipmunk asked me what my name was, I said it was Joe, that was the worst lie I have ever told: come on, I was trying not to laugh because I wanted to hear what they were saying. Anywho, honestly, I hate Malena, absolutely hate them! Come on, we better have epic Delena and Stelena scenes next week, I ship Delena, but please NO MORE MALENA SCENES! But, I know that we will have a “TUCK EVERLASTING” ending where she dies and they come back and look at her grave sadly. NOW ONTO THE BROMANCE! I love Stefan and Damon’s brother bonding, sure he had a weird way of making him have control, but I absolutely broke when Damon said : You’re all I have left: because it’s true, Elena neglects him, and he was left near tears, forget Elena, TEAM SALVATORE ALL THE WAY! I was surprised by Alaric being the killer, but I don’t trust Meredith ( on another note, since Paul and Torrey are together, I honestly wonder how many backstage kisses were shared ;D ) But regardless,
I will forever love Alaric. I will hate next week, I mean seriously, a threesome between Damon, Bex, and Sage. They a stretching the Damon and Bex story line too far, IT WAS A ONE TIME HOOKUP THAT WAS SMOKING HOT, there done, but nooo, they have to do this, whoop dee do!
~love you Andy

charlotte

Posted at 11:07 PM on March 15, 2012

Haha I first thought I had written this myself! No but seriously, I totally agree with everything you wrote! Matt/Elena just doesn’t do it for me – and I don’t think that just because I’m a Delena shipper! Stelena can be really cute sometimes, and even Elena/Elijah had their moments! But Matt, really? And also, Elena is becoming oh so boring – I almost fell asleep watching her judge everyone and everything around her. Jeez.

Damon/Bex/Sage I couldn’t really care less about, sex is sex so go for it I say! We’ve all been a bit crazy after a night out…

And Team Salvatore is the best thing ever! Family is everything – it’s all we have left when the shit hits the fan, and I’m glad to see the writers acting on this!

Finally, before I go to bed – Damon made me laugh several times during this episode! When he was imitating a squirrel “nomnomnom” – lol.

Marissa

Posted at 9:48 PM on March 15, 2012

That sounds really good

Angel

Posted at 9:41 PM on March 15, 2012

I feel so bad for Alaric because he’s been through so much. And I still don’t trust Meredith because she’s just so suspicious. But I don’t think that Alaric will die from his condition. I think someone is going to kill him if anything, I just don’t know who. I don’t want him to go though :(