'The Lying Game' Recap: Is Rebecca Really Sutton & Emma's Mom?

Mon, January 23, 2012 11:21pm EST by 50 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Is the big mystery really over, or is this just another lie? Either way, Rebecca terrifies me now.

If there’s one thing you should take away from the Jan. 23 episode of The Lying Game, it’s that Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) is not to be trifled with. But since we didn’t discover why until the very end of the episode, let’s hash out some of the other lessons we learned this week.

Sutton & Ryan have a sexy, awkward history: Yes, kids, it looks like we might have a new love triangle on our hands. Mads’ (Alice Greczyn) new British squeeze Ryan (Misha Crosby) apparently hooked up with Sutton (Alexandra Chando) in ninth grade.

Rebecca is (probably) Emma & Sutton’s mom: I know we all pretty predicted it, but when Annie Hobbs (Stacy Edwards) told Sutton and Emma she wasn’t their real mother, and Rebecca appeared by her bedside in the final moments, I think we all let out a collective gasp. “Oh, Annie, what have you done now?” Chilling!

Ted really did (sort of) kill Justin’s mom: Apparently Justin’s (Randy Wayne) theory that Ted (Andy Buckley) killed his mom isn’t so far off. She died on the operating table when Ted got “distracted” by a mysterious phone call. Kristen (Helen Slater) blamed herself, but as always, I’m sure there’s more to the story.

Laurel will likely be stupid & forgive Justin: After all the drama that Justin “Crazy Eyes” Miller put Laurel (Allie Gonino) through, he really thought a big, dramatic apology would win her back. And given the look on her face, I’d say he was right. She’s going to fold like a napkin and take him back, only to have her heart broken again. Will that girl ever learn? The only man she can depend on is her violin — assuming, of course, that it’s a male violin.

Ethan & Emma (almost) had sex: I’ve lost track of how much time has actually passed on the show, but apparently it’s been long enough for Ethan (Blair Redford) and Emma to do the dirty. They got down to their skivvies when Sutton barged in with news of their mother — or, at least, the woman they thought was their mother. Good grief, what does it take for a guy to get a little action in this town?

Alec & Rebecca are (basically) dating: Like I told you last week, Rebecca and Alec’s (Adrian Pasdar) is beginning to heat up. And the worst part is that he thinks it’s safer to have her closer to him. Little does he know, Rebecca’s got a whole lot of crazy up her sleeve!

The man who tried to kill Sutton looked like a “snake”: That’s the only clue Annie was able to give to Emma and Sutton before a nosy nurse barged in and kicked them out of her hospital room. Any guesses?

OK, now it’s time to give me your thoughts on what I think may have been the best episode yet: Should Lauren take Justin back? Do you think Rebecca is really the twins’ mother? And, seriously, when will Ethan get a little action? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game coverage

South African Hunting

Posted at 7:08 PM on July 3, 2012

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website so i got here to go back the choose?.I’m attempting to find issues to improve my web site!I guess its adequate to make use of a few of your ideas!!

Eric

Posted at 7:44 PM on March 7, 2012

Is Emma and sutton real sisters

Mal

Posted at 5:07 PM on March 4, 2012

I think Rebecca is Sutton & Emma’s mom.. They look soo much alike. I also think Rebecca still has feelings for Ted, and being engaged to Alec is a way that she can stay in his life and her daughters. I also think Kristin & Laurel are starting to figure out that the Sutton/ Emma have been changing positions becaus eat first the real Sutton told Laurel she was a virgin and now she’s not!!!! How long can Laurel keep up The Lying Game?

J

Posted at 2:49 AM on February 6, 2012

i think ted/rebecca had a thing (santa barbara) and they are the real parents of emma and sutton. and getting the news of the twins during his residency, he accidently killed justin’s mom.

and i think rebecca ultimately wants ted.

court:)

Posted at 1:40 PM on February 6, 2012

i agree with your post

Rio

Posted at 9:46 AM on February 21, 2012

the seccond part of your theory actually makes no sense at all, because that would mean justin mom died 16 years ago (when ted got the call that rebecca was preggo/had twins) but justin said about his moms bracelet that he remembers when they gave him all his mothers belongings in plastic bags bla bla meaning he wasn’t just a toddler.. the misterious call must be something else.

Emily

Posted at 8:25 PM on February 25, 2012

Wait a second, Ted was distracted by the the death of Emma!

Mal

Posted at 5:09 PM on March 4, 2012

I think Justin is lying about his age and Ted is keeping up with it… Is this part of Ted’s lying game?

danika

Posted at 10:13 AM on February 5, 2012

it was derik

Loveth o

Posted at 6:51 AM on February 1, 2012

Wao this film is confusing but the problem is i cnt find the complete episod to buy.how do i get the complet season episode to buy pls

Erin

Posted at 4:10 PM on January 30, 2012

I think Ryan was in the car that night. Why would they just introduce a new character in the middle of the show? And we all know sutton and ryan used to hate each other. Also in the preview they show the tattoo and I deffinetly think that it’s Ryan even the clothes the persons wearing makes me think Ryan. I also think that rebecca and Ted are the parents of Emma and sutton. Rebecca left town because of Ted and Alec. And the phone call could be that Emma and sutton were born or Rebecca was pregnant or something. Or it could be something about them adopting her or a call from Rebecca just saying she is leaving. I also don’t think Justin tried to kill sutton because they want us to think he did it but there just gonna do something else. And also Justin says he really did fall in love with laurel so why would he try to kill her sister? What ever I love this show<3

Tiara

Posted at 12:40 AM on January 28, 2012

I’m pretty sure the guy who tried to drown Sutton is Voldemort. It only makes sense.

K

Posted at 3:55 PM on January 26, 2012

I do think that rebecca is the mother. im not sure about the father but i definitly know that the call was not because of Sutton and Emma. Once again Justin was a kid when his mother died. Sutton is 17 and justin is in high school there would be no way it does not make sense. I think it could have had to do with the girls but not their birth. Maybe it had to do with Annie.

Andy Swift

Posted at 3:57 PM on January 26, 2012

Good points. The whole Annie/Rebecca thing is making my head hurt (>_<)

texmac13

Posted at 7:00 PM on January 26, 2012

Your guess is the phone call Ted got during the operation had to do with Annie Hobbs house fire? That time line appears to work!

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:16 PM on January 26, 2012

I’m also wondering when they’re going to bring Emma’s past back into the story line.

texmac13

Posted at 7:09 PM on January 26, 2012

1. Emma was kidnapped from the Websters of Beverly Hills by Annie Hobbs. How did Annie know where Emma was? How did she know the birth mother’s name on the birth certificate was Ruth Peterson? Who assisted Annie in getting a false I.D. of Ruth Peterson that she showed to the Websters?

What are your questions?

MrsOlskool

Posted at 9:39 AM on January 26, 2012

Anyone notice a slight resemblance between Rebecca and Sutton/Emma…I think they chose Charisma Carpenter just for that reason.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:14 PM on January 26, 2012

Oh, absolutely. I’ve thought Alexandra Chando had a very Charisma Carpenter-esque look to her since day 1, and I was thrilled with this casting.

hopee

Posted at 9:02 PM on January 24, 2012

Rebecka is def. their mom. she has to be theres no way there gone introduce another character at this point. so she is their mother and i think ted is their father.

texmac13

Posted at 10:51 PM on January 25, 2012

If there is no season 2, then I would agree. But I think there will be a season 2, leaving a whole season to create many other characters. For example, twice there has been a mention of a Mercer Grandmother, but nothing has ever come of that. In a season 2 there is a Grandmother theam and so many other possibilities to introduce characters. I just hope they don’t repeat what has already been done on Pretty Little Liars like a psychiatrist. Maybe they’ll pick a Priest instead for Emma to confide in.

Jessie

Posted at 8:50 PM on January 24, 2012

i think it was derek who crashed the car&tried to kill sutton because when he saw emma at school a few days later he looked really freaking confused&like ran away from her when she was trying to talk to her..plus he bailed on char when they were going to “sutton’s” (emmas) birthday party because he needed to do something….i deff think it was derekkkk & the whole rebecca thing i have no idea i love it though cause it makes everyone think&wanna know! cant wait for the nextt onne!!!

Ryan

Posted at 8:43 PM on January 24, 2012

The snake thing seems to be Justin, they showed it in the preview of the next episode at the end

Ana B.

Posted at 7:36 PM on January 28, 2012

They do show Justin kissing Lauren, but when they show the Snake Tattoo you can hear Sutton/Emma asking Ethan: Who is him? And both Emma and Sutton know who Justin is, so it can’t be him. I think.

David K

Posted at 4:03 PM on January 24, 2012

Who told Rebecca that Annie was in that hospital?
We know of six: Emma, Sutton, Ethan, Alec, Don, and Dr. Hughes. I’m betting it was Dr. Hughes. The timing of Rebecca’s arrival lines up with Annie disappearing form that clinic. So I’m taking all this to mean Rebecca is not Emma and Sutton’s birth mother.

secrets

Posted at 8:50 PM on January 24, 2012

What do you mean? Rebecca can’t be their mother? I find the whole mother secret thing strange. I remember there was that one other lady they thought was their mother but it wasn’t her. Now Annie is saying she’s not the mother even though she’s had previously replied that she was their mother.

David K

Posted at 11:06 PM on January 24, 2012

I’m guessing Rebecca is not the twins birth mother. At the end of episode 1.14, Annie says she heard their mother giving them up and does not know whom the birth mother was. A Jane Doe. That’s a big enough clue for me that the twins are back to zero on birth parents I.D.
I don’t think the series has presented either birth parent, yet.
I also think we got our first hints as to what is coming, I hope, in season two. That is that Annie told the twins they are in danger, it’s not safe. What has Annie done now that has jeopardize the twins?
Here is my wild out of the box, blue sky idea. The twins are proof of something so big, so major, such a huge lying game, that if their existence were to be made know to some yet to be identified someone, their lives would be, well, you get the idea. Up next I think will be the search for the baby broker.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:15 PM on January 26, 2012

I wonder if this means Charisma will stick around longer than this season. I’d love to see her become a regular.

secrets

Posted at 3:36 PM on January 24, 2012

I have some questions
We still don’t know the truth about Annie. I wonder how she is connected to Ted/Annie/Alec. She seems to be mentally unstable and contradictory.
There’s still the whole issue with Phyllis and Annie(Rebecca).
Also does anyone think Ted knows there are twins?
BTW Alec certainly knows because he’s seen both of the twins.
If Rebecca is the mother did she not want the twins or was she told a lie?
What happened(who called about what) when
So far the only proof of Alec killing anyone has been Mad’s dance instructor. Otherwise we don’t have proof of him hurting anyone else.
I think Ted figured out pretty quickly who Justin is. However is there still a secret as to who Justin’s dad is?
Who would actually want to kill Sutton and why? Why couldn’t they just hide her somewhere?

Quinn

Posted at 1:52 PM on January 24, 2012

It’s Darack who tried to kill Sutton! he was the only one not at the party. He said he had “something to do.” I think Rebecca is Emma and Suttons mom. I think Alec knows more than Ted. And When Ted and Kristin were trying to get pregneat with Laurel Justin was 9? then he must be old!

Andy Swift

Posted at 2:00 PM on January 24, 2012

“When Ted and Kristin were trying to get pregneat with Laurel Justin was 9? then he must be old!”

Haha, well… Randy Wayne is 30, though I’m sure Justin is supposed to be a teenager.

Zay

Posted at 2:00 AM on January 26, 2012

Considering they go to high school together maybe they tried to have another kid after her

Meghan

Posted at 3:47 AM on January 24, 2012

With the “snake” thing, I couldn’t help but notice how in the scene where Dan is talking to Alec about Annie, the camera did a zoom-in on his arm tattoo. I’d have to rewatch that part to see what his tattoo was exactly, but I think it might’ve been of a snake. Now that I think about it, if Dan WAS the one that tried to kill Sutton, it wouldn’t be too crazy. Dan spoke about how he “owed” Alec for helping him in his teenage days and we all know that he isn’t too fond of Sutton anyway. He is dark-haired, like Annie had told Sutton in a previous episode.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:32 PM on January 24, 2012

BRB, RE-WATCHING OBSESSIVELY TO SEE DAN’S ARM! :)

Cory

Posted at 11:32 PM on March 17, 2012

No. Tyler Christopher who plays Dan, has a tattoo of a cross on his right arm. It just kind of looks like a snake when it’s partially covered. They showed that to throw people off.

Persiangem

Posted at 1:57 AM on January 24, 2012

The dad can not be Alec because as you remember, Sutton and Thayer slept together and I don’t think abc family is going to advertise incest. But I was disappointed with Annie Hobb’s comments to the girls tonight because they were so contrary to what she had told Sutton at the mental hospital. She even said there was nothing worse than knowing you have killed your own child, referring to Emma dying in the fire. I think the producers need to watch some of the old shows to keep the continuity of the show in order

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:32 PM on January 24, 2012

Ah, yes… Sutton and Thayer.

That would be pretty gross.

Hoosierxheart

Posted at 11:41 PM on January 23, 2012

Ever since Rebecca showed up, I’ve had the feeling that it was she and Ted Mercer who hooked up. (Why else would Ted be so concerned about all this, unless of course he adopted Sutton so she would be close to Alec.). My guess is Annie Hobbs (Rebecca & Char’s mom’s sister) found out the truth, and the three of them (Alec, Ted & Rebecca) schemed to keep it a secret…..Just my 2 cents…. :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:03 AM on January 24, 2012

Yeah, I’m afraid Rebecca was the worst-kept secret from the moment Charisma was cast… unless, of course, they’re just trying to throw us off >:)

And then there’s the question of the dad… Could it be Alec?

Meghan

Posted at 3:54 AM on January 24, 2012

I don’t think Alec’s the father. Ted is way too sketchy about the whole thing. He is weary of Rebecca (who we now believe is the real mother of the twins). He got a phone call that “distracted him” in the operating room – Kristin said that it was around the time when they were trying to have kids, which would put Sutton & Emma’s birth right in the same timeframe as Sutton was just 10 days old when they adopted her. Out of the two suspected men, Ted has shown to care a lot more about keeping his past in the past and in this episode, Alec even told him that he was keeping Rebecca close for Ted’s sake, not his own. And then there’s the whole incest issue that the show probably does not want to go into.

On another note, I think it’s interesting how Kristin and Rebecca are becoming good friends, since Rebecca might have been having an affair with Kristin’s husband during their marriage.

Elle

Posted at 4:25 AM on January 24, 2012

I think Ted had an affair with Rebecca while he was working on his residency. In LA…. And he got her preggers, and she went into labor while he was operating on justins mom, and he left bc he wanted to bdeliverthe babies himself, and he told rebecca after she came to (woke up ) that they were stilllborn, and before he could know what was happening, annie stole one of the babies and then rebecca figured out that she was lied to somehow so ted and alec had to bpay her off… And now she s back for retribution…

Elle

Posted at 4:31 AM on January 24, 2012

Oh, also considering all I already pointed out and all I believe is going on, I feel Ted alredady knows Sutton isn’t Sutton until as of late… He always has this look on hisface as if he knows and can’t even say, and. Also appreiates thefact that Emma is so much more appreciative than Sutton EVER was… And Sutton doesn’t want Emma to leave bc she wants to be able to steal Ethan back at some point.

g

Posted at 5:07 AM on January 24, 2012

I agree partially up until you mention Rebecca and the stillborn part. Annie Hobbs mentioned she overheard the mother saying she didn’t want the children. So I don’t think she was lied to unless they lied and said that only one kid survived which was Sutton. Either way Annie claims she didn’t want the child and said she was just going to throw the child away. There are still so many questions and twists and turns. But I agree that Rebecca and Ted are the parents, although I do think Rebecca did get screwed over somehow b/c she has to be back for a reason which I’m sure will provide us with more drama. I’m curious what her agenda with Alec’s daughter Mad’s is? I do think that Kristen will end up getting hurt. I’m looking forward to next weeks episode.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:35 PM on January 24, 2012

Elle, are you secretly a writer for The Lying Game? Because I feel like you just figured everything out. Well done.

James

Posted at 8:31 PM on January 25, 2012

I dont think thats possible bc if ted left to deliver emma and sutton, then that would make laurens boyfriend 9 years older than emma/sutton . And aren’t they all in high school – so that wouldnt work…. I think alec and rebecca are the parents and that ted feels guilty for telling rebecca that her children were born still born…. while taking sutton for his family and any hobbs taking emma for hers..ted knows hobbs took emma but cant find her after she goes into foster care ..the event with him killing the mother was when alec informs him emma/rebecca/hobbs was returning.

Hoosierxheart

Posted at 5:02 AM on January 24, 2012

Thats right along my thinking! The way you put it, I’m even more convinced now…,,

Ted is pretty dead set against the friendship between Kirstin & Rebecca too, which furthers the point that he is likely the twins real father too!

Meghan

Posted at 9:29 AM on January 24, 2012

Well I agree that Ted and “Rebecca” are the parents, but it doesn’t agree with around the episode of when Annie Hobbs called Alec and said he lied. Said Sutton told her the truth on Emma, she didn’t die in the fire. I know she “heard” the “birth mom” giving them up butt still something is fishy. Besides remember that pic Ted ripped out of his/ Kristens yearbook? Annie Hobbs looks more like an adult version of the girl sitting with Ted n Alec at the stairs than Annie “Rebecca” Sewell does and Kristen said her name was Annie Sewell, but now it’s Annie Hobbs? Did this Annie “Rebecca” Sewell have a make over or is she really Annie Hobbs. Maybe we have a case of stolen identy here……

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:33 PM on January 24, 2012

I’ve noticed Rebecca is creepily working her way into all of the girls’ lives. First, she helped Char get her mom into rehab. Then she helped Laurel get the courage to perform on stage. Then she convinced Mads to go after Ryan. She’s clearly trying to get them all on her side… but for what?

Lilie

Posted at 2:17 PM on January 24, 2012

I think thats a possibility. We definitely know that Rebecca is not who the girls think she is. Ted, Rebecca and Alec definitely all have this huge secret that needs to be hidden. I feel bad for kristin though because she literally doesnt know anything about whats going on. Sutton seems to be very indecisive, its like she wants to be nice and helpful and then sometimes shes back to ordinary Sutton. I think the Dan theory about the snake tattoo is a good one, but I do believe its derek that was behind the car crash. Who knows

David K

Posted at 8:46 PM on January 24, 2012

Guessing time. Rebecca is attempting to get all the girls BFF with Sutton to freely spill any tidbits from waging tongs of information, details? And I’m also guessing that Rebecca knows that there is a Emma, but thinks Emma is still in Las Vegas. I’ll go out on a limb and predict that Rebecca was the one that posted bail for Emma. Of course for this to be true my theory about Dr. Hughes feeding information to Rebecca has to hold up.
Derek attacked Sutton in the Sutton’s car. If you look at the preview in slow-mo it clearly enough shows enough of Derek’s face profile. Either that or I need to clean my TV screen again.