'Once Upon A Time' Recap: David & Mary Margaret Finally Kiss

Sun, January 22, 2012 9:21pm EDT by 14 Comments
Courtesy of ABC

Mary Margaret’s happily-ever-after is coming sooner than we thought — and Regina is not pleased.

It’s no wonder Disney skipped over all the serious, emotional parts of Snow White’s (Ginnifer Goodwin) story: The Jan. 22 episode of Once Upon A Time was depressing! Well, at least until the epic ending when David (Josh Dallas) and Mary Margaret made out in the middle of the street for all of Storybrooke — including Regina (Lana Parrilla) — to see.

But before they got their happy ending, David and Mary Margaret put themselves through emotional hell. He admitted he loved her, but she was all, “No, your wife is pregnant!” (Don’t you hate it when that happens?) As it turns out, Kathryn (Anastasia Griffith) is not pregnant, which meant there was one less tiny obstacle in the way of these two forbidden lovers. Cue the kiss!

But before we all celebrate David and Mary Margaret’s love, I should point out that David didn’t exactly break things off with Kathryn before kissing Mary Margaret. In fact, he told her wanted to start a family. (This guy probably should have stayed in his coma. There was way less drama in there.)

Things didn’t go too smoothly for Snow White and Prince Charming. When she learned that getting with him would mean both of their deaths — the prince’s adoptive pappy is less-than-supportive of their love — she got a potion from Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle) that would make her forget her feelings. Think of it as a fairy tale version of an antidepressant.

On top of that, we also learned how Snow White and the seven dwarves — make that eight until “Stealthy” got murked by one of the castle guards — really met. Apparently, she didn’t just wander into their cottage uninvited like we’ve always believed. They’re old prison buddies!

Now I hate to ask this question, but I have to: As heartbreaking as it was watching Snow and the prince accept the fact that they can’t be together, isn’t the build-up basically ruined by the fact that you know they end up getting married? (When did I become so cynical?)

Meanwhile in Storybrooke, Sheriff Emma (Jennifer Morrison) was all up in the business of the stranger that biked his way into Storybrooke last week. And after much pestering and mean-mugging, he finally revealed the contents of his box: a typewriter!

(I do believe he’s just been upgraded from mysterious to suspicious.)

So, what do you all think of the type-writing stranger? Could he somehow be the architect of this entire world, or am I thinking a little too outside of the box? And how intense do you think things will get in Storybrooke now that David and Mary Margaret are into PDA? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time coverage

Sophie

Posted at 9:57 PM on January 27, 2012

Snow/Mary is not a 2 dimensional character. She has shown some very selfish personality traits in both worlds. Her FT counterpart is clearly vain and egotistical. I don’t know why everyone is so “pro” MM/David when she clearly has no regard for Davids wife (and yes…she is his “wife” in this reality…just no getting around it). Just because we were shown how they were together in FT land. I don’t really like her character at all…especially now that she making out with a married man. David is no better either…what a slime…telling his wife one minute that he wants to work on their marriage and the next minute smooching with MM. I just wish everyone would start looking at these two WITHOUT the rose colored glasses.

Megan

Posted at 7:23 PM on January 23, 2012

Ugh I’m so mad at David…
Either he actually NEEDS to say to Katherine that they are done or continue to be with her and not mess with Marry anymore (I know, even though they should be).
It’s just making me mad how he keeps on going back and forth.

AND! I wish it had more or that mysterious guy in there (the writer). I thought it was way too short.

Mitsuki

Posted at 9:18 PM on January 30, 2012

Abigail has said it many many times how he’s not who she married…. Just in case you don’t remember it at all. There is somewhere in episodes that they reveal this. Pay attention plz~!

Prince Charming is charming~

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 4:19 PM on January 23, 2012

Don’t think you’re out of the box at all. It seems to be popular sentiment around the interwebs…

Happy we got more Goodwin and Dallas – they should be the focus points of the series because everytime they’re on the show gets significantly more interesting (and better). Blah to Emma Swan!

Our take: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-m9

Gabrielle

Posted at 1:59 AM on January 23, 2012

How do we ‘know’ that David and Abigail are married? Just because Regina says so in the Storybrooke world? Doesn’t sound proof positive to me. Unless I missed something.

Gabrielle

Posted at 2:00 AM on January 23, 2012

Whoops, got the names confused. James and “Katherine”

Gabrielle

Posted at 2:01 AM on January 23, 2012

Ugh! “David and Katherine”* I need some sleep!

James

Posted at 3:25 AM on January 23, 2012

I don’t know why most people haven’t got it yet, but I’m 99% sure Abigail is married to James’ twin who most likely died in the real world already.

Abigail has said it many many times how he’s not who she married. Blah blah blah. Watch out for the episode where they reveal this.

Michele

Posted at 10:00 AM on January 23, 2012

James-but David has said that he remembers feelings for Kathryn.
Maybe Rumple kept the hair for another potion to help her remember? Just like Grumpy said the pain is what makes you who you are.
And yes it is kind of weird that we know what happens with James and Snow in the end.

And the previews for next week… Henry in the fairy tale land is dead, the evil queen killed him. Does that mean that the Henry in storybook will die too?

Meredith

Posted at 11:34 PM on January 22, 2012

I am so glad they finally kissed!! Although I do feel bad for Kathryn but I am all for MM/David. I want someone to remember fairy tale land and them not die. And who is this weirdo with the type writer? Also what does Rumpie do with Snow’s hair?

Sarah

Posted at 9:56 PM on January 22, 2012

The build up wasn’t ruined, because to me there was no build up. The show has told us that these two are in love, but has done nothing to develop the relationship between Snow White/Mary Margaret and Prince Chamring, they have done nothing to show why they are in love. We are expected to just take on face value that these two were meant for each other. To me it is lazy storytelling and is turning a show which has all kinds of potential into an aimless soap opera.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:11 PM on January 22, 2012

Yeah, I feel like they didn’t build up the Snow/Charming romance because they thought they didn’t have to. They figured viewers would root for them by default :-/

Whitney

Posted at 9:42 PM on January 22, 2012

It made it very difficult to cheer for David/MM when he basically said he wants both of them. He didn’t really even say that he would leave his wife for her after all this. His wife also isn’t mean enough for me to hate her… I now feel bad for her cuz she thinks he wants it so work.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:09 PM on January 22, 2012

Right?! Kathryn’s fairy-tale character is pretty bitchy and obnoxious, but in Storybrooke, I kind of just feel bad for her :-/