Michelle Duggar's Heartbreaking Letter To Miscarried Baby Jubilee — Listen Here

Thu, December 22, 2011 2:37pm EDT by 39 Comments
Michelle Duggar

Jubilee Shalom Duggar from WMtek Inc on Vimeo.

At the memorial service for her daughter Jubilee, a grieving Michelle read a moving letter to those in attendance — listen as she reads the emotional words to her daughter aloud!

Michelle and her husband Jim Bob Duggar’s memorial service for their 20th child, Jubilee Shalom Duggar, incited lots of controversy when pictures containing images Michelle holding Jubilee’s tiny hands and feet were released. Michelle also wrote a very personal letter to her daughter, and now you can hear her read it in an deeply moving recording!

Here’s a full transcript of Michelle’s letter:

“Dear Jubilee,
Mommy wanted to write a letter to my precious baby girl. You know your name Jubilee Shalom Duggar means, “joyful celebration of peace.” We were so thankful to God when we found out we were expecting you. So often in society, babies are looked upon as a problem, trial or responsibility, but God says babies are a blessing. We do not believe that babies are a bother, a headache, or a financial drainer or a career interrupter. We love babies!
Your siblings did not view you as the competition. They are truly saddened and disappointed to not have really known you. Only God knows how much you are already loved. You are not loved any less because you are baby number 21, or Duggar grandbaby number 23. We were blessed because you lived. You were only here with us for such a short time. It’s an awesome thought to me that you’ve fulfilled your life’s purpose in such a short time. What a blessing to know that you are in the arms of Jesus, and that it was His face that you saw first. You were loved. You were wanted. Your parents wanted you to be. Your grandparents wanted you to be. Your brothers and your sisters wanted you to be. And the rest of the family wanted you to be.
I will miss listening to your heartbeat and praying for you as you grow in my womb. I will miss feeling you kick in my tummy. I will miss cradling you in my arms and singing to you. I will miss teaching you to sing, “Jesus Loves Me!” I will miss watching you grow up and learn. I will miss seeing life through your eyes as I have enjoyed doing with all the other children so much. I will miss doing mommy-things with you and for you. I will miss noticing how you do things like the others or how different you are. I will miss your smile and your personality. I will miss holding you and hugging you and kissing you and touching your soft skin. I will miss hearing your voice and your songs. I will miss reading with you and talking with you. I will miss watching you play and watching you work. I will miss taking pictures of you and seeing you experience things for the first time. I will miss taking you to the zoo.
It overwhelms me to think of all that I will miss about you. You’re a love I was able to touch for such a short few moments and alive I will hold in my heart. I don’t know God’s purpose for taking you on to Heaven, but I know your short life will help me to remember truly how fragile life is. It will help me to more fully enjoy the time I have here with the other family members. It will help me to focus on what is truly important in life and help me to be more aware of heaven and the ultimate destination. It will help me to delight in every moment of growing up that your siblings have in your presence. I will not forget you. I will look forward to meeting you someday. I like to think of you being in heaven with our other loved ones there and all of you getting to spend time together. I’m going to frame your birthday and meaning of your name with all of your siblings’ pictures on our baby wall. From now on, when I’m asked how many children I have, the answer will be 21, 19 here and 2 in heaven.
You are precious to me Jubilee. Mommy loves you.”

What do YOU think of Michelle’s letter?

-Anna Moeslein

ruth

Posted at 12:32 PM on May 20, 2012

i am sorry for the duggars on they loss

Peggy

Posted at 3:14 AM on March 30, 2012

What a beautiful letter; we had a very bad miscarriage about 30yrs ago which I found extremely difficult to get over. We lost our eldest Aug36 its old and it was the most heart breaking death that my family are finding so hard to get over.
Because we had her for 36yrs we knew the beautiful soul she had, the love in her heart for every one. the smile in her bbeautiful blue eyes, because we had the privilege to have known her it still breaksll breaks our hearts every single moment of every single day. It doesn’t matter when you

crystal

Posted at 1:30 AM on March 28, 2012

I am truly sorry for all of y’all’s loses. Its not easy loosing a child. My prayer’s go out to all of you ladies that have lost children. And may god be with y’all and your babies…… =(

kelly

Posted at 9:20 AM on February 27, 2012

I SND MY PRAYER OUT TO THE FAMILY N SHALL BABY JULIES SOUL REST IN PARIDISE…SAY HELLO TO MY BABY UP IN HEAVEN…

Joan

Posted at 4:33 PM on February 24, 2012

I think this is an amazing letter to their little girl. I wish I had had the thought to do the same when I lost our first two children over 40 years ago. They are and always will be my blessed children and I think of them being in heaven and that we will be with them one day. The picture of the little hand is beautiful. When I lost our first child the nurse asked if I wanted to see him but being so young and upset I said no. A decision I have regreted in all of these years.

Margui

Posted at 7:38 PM on February 12, 2012

I lost my first baby 4 and half months ago. I know how she felt. The pain is unbearable. He is in heaven now.

Donna

Posted at 9:08 PM on January 12, 2012

So sorry for their loss.

Tina Fleetwood

Posted at 12:21 PM on December 27, 2011

My heart is broken for Michelle. I know the pain of losing a baby to miscarriage. I have six children on earth and two in heaven.

Kim

Posted at 5:40 AM on December 26, 2011

“From now on, when I’m asked how many children I have, the answer will be 21, 19 here and 2 in heaven.” Who is the second one in heaven? :(

Bailey

Posted at 6:13 PM on December 26, 2011

Michelle suffered a miscarriage with her second child as well, I believe.

Nicole

Posted at 1:21 AM on December 26, 2011

I understand just what she’s going through. Not exactly what’s she’s going THROUGH, but how she feels..
I’m currently 30 weeks pregnant with twin girls. A couple weeks ago my husband got very drunk at a party he went to. I picked him up, and when I brought him home, he started screaming at me for no reason. I tried to calm him and tell him he needs to go to sleep, but he pushed me down.mi landed right on my stomach. I was so scared, that night of him and for my children, that I drove myself to the ER.
When I got there I was informed that one of my baby girls was killed. Knowing that I’ll never get to see her beautiful face, or know her laugh, it kills me. I can only imagine how she feels. I’m grateful that she got to see her precious little baby, and I only wish that I could have met mine..

Abby

Posted at 2:11 PM on December 28, 2011

This is so so, my prayers are with you. I hope your husband is in jail you sound like such a good person
you don’t need someone that would harm his own baby
around you. God speed to your little girl and I hope
God watches over you and your other little girl….

IssaquahMom

Posted at 1:17 AM on December 26, 2011

While I have experienced a miscarriage and understand the emotional pain it causes I do not support the Duggar’s decision to continue having children.

The parents instruct guidelines for the kids to follow, but the older children have one or two younger ones they are responsible for in terms of dressing and supervising.

Who provides the emotional support that an older sibling doesn’t quite understand how to provide and the parents are busy dealing with a film crew and 19 other kids? It’s not humanly possible for them to give each child the attention and parent/child time each day. The kids share rooms with their siblings, they spend plenty of time with each other they need a PARENT to guide them and devote time to them not just when it’s their turn and the camera is around.

Julie

Posted at 2:22 PM on December 24, 2011

may god be with her and her family in this time of grief.

Theresa

Posted at 12:45 PM on December 23, 2011

who cares what we think…it’s a letter of love from a mother grieving the loss of her child…

Nicole

Posted at 3:33 AM on December 26, 2011

You wouldn’t understand. Losing a child isn’t easy. Knowing that you’ll never get to see them grow up… It sucks. “Who cares what we think” well, some other people might like to share what theyve been through in these same kinds of situations. So unless you have something to share about what you think, you have no right to just say this is just another letter. It isn’t just another letter, it’s a reminder that life is fragile and you need to cherish every moment that you have. So yeah, it is just another letter. But it speaks for every singe one of us moms who have lost a child.

Louise

Posted at 12:39 PM on December 23, 2011

‘Michelle Duggar Suffers Miscarriage’ followed by: ‘Click for more pics!’ – how incredibly distasteful of you, guys!

karen roberts

Posted at 12:36 PM on December 23, 2011

Only a mother who has miscarried her baby can understand the grief that is being vented here.
The loss is profound when you lose a baby you wanted. All the dreams you had for that life are over. It is a deep hurt that leaves one’s emotions fragile & raw.
I am glad that Michelle has shared her thoughts publically. It will encourage other grieving mothers/parents to verbalize love they had & still have for their baby.
I understand what she is experiencing, for I too have experienced the loss of wanted pregnacies. Even though you might have other children, the loss of a pregnacy, is still profound.
My thoughts and prayers are with Michelle & her family.

Amanda

Posted at 11:07 AM on December 23, 2011

I think that was a beautiful letter and they are a awesome family!The ones that are haters don’t have enough love in their own lives they have to pick at others to make them look good-well you look bad!All my prayers to the Duggar family, may god bless you with however more children he feels the need to give you.enjoy them forever!!!!

Samantha

Posted at 8:01 AM on December 23, 2011

Wow she is amazing as a new mom who had a frighting exsperiece with my newborn who is now doing well, thats amazing Children are a blessing!

Nicole

Posted at 7:55 AM on December 23, 2011

My thought on Michelle Duggar’s letter is that it was very heart touching, but at the same time Michelle should have known what risks she was up against. Yes, God did say that children are a blessing, but God did not say for every women in the world to have thousands of children just because children are a blessing. Know you limits. Michelle’s body I’m sure is very tired and plus she’s not young anymore. Why can’t she be greatful for the 19 that she already has and stop wanting more. There are so many woman in this world that can’t have any. Maybe this was God’s way to let her know that she needs to be greatful with what He has already blessed her with.

Heather

Posted at 5:58 PM on December 24, 2011

I completely agree with you!

ns

Posted at 6:38 AM on December 23, 2011

I would have been moved more if she hadn’t excused her behavior on society Or mentined her kids sibling rivalry at the beginning of the leter.

That was not for the baby, that was for her and the public and that’s a disgrace.
At least she recognized she needed to appreciate what she has right in front of her.

The rest of the letter was at least honest and heartfelt..

Barb

Posted at 6:11 AM on December 23, 2011

I bet those kids started walking out at birth by the 15th child….

Karyn

Posted at 2:20 AM on December 23, 2011

Good god this woman is obnoxious. She really thinks a miscarried baby served a “purpose” and is dead because it completed its “purpose”? Really?

Jennifer

Posted at 12:20 PM on December 23, 2011

She’s not the one who is being obnoxious. Your lack of manners is stunning.

superyummy

Posted at 8:51 PM on December 26, 2011

agree with Karyn.

whitney

Posted at 7:19 PM on December 22, 2011

This letter is very moving I was in tears. As a mother who has had 3 miscarriages, two living and one on the way I understand the how painful it is and for those who want to trash talk the feelings that this family is going through, shame on you. You’ve obviously have never endured this situation and I hope you don’t. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone but show some respect. It’s not an easy situation for anyone let alone a family who is in the public eye and under constant scrutiny so give them some respect for their bravery.

Jennifer

Posted at 12:20 PM on December 23, 2011

I can’t believe how cruel some people are towards this family. Even if you don’t believe the same things they do about the value of children, life, and God, you should respect their pain and not try to tear them down just because they are different from you.

chris

Posted at 4:19 PM on December 22, 2011

Maybe she should keep her legs closed she shouldn’t have anymore kids that was a sign!!!

Danielle

Posted at 4:44 PM on December 22, 2011

don´t be rude!!!

Talya

Posted at 8:47 PM on December 22, 2011

how would you feel if your mother said that about you..
every child is a child of God.
have some respect for life!

Shawnee

Posted at 10:01 PM on December 22, 2011

who are you to say she should keep her legs closed? its not like she has all these children then ignores them or mistreats them, their better parents then most people are who only have 1 or 2 children. All their children are respectful and happy, i think their family is adorable, your nothing but jelous.

Betty

Posted at 12:23 PM on February 23, 2012

agree

Stephanie

Posted at 3:58 PM on December 22, 2011

This is precious. I wonder though, why the transcript says 21 children and her voice speaks 20. Why is she only considering the stillbirth an actual child and not also her previous miscarriage…

diane damion

Posted at 3:53 PM on December 22, 2011

Michelle n the dugger family. so sorry for the loss of the little angel. your words are just wonderful. bless u n the family at this time

Tori

Posted at 8:43 AM on February 7, 2012

My heart goes out to their family. Being a angel mom of four little girls and three children on earth. I believe it took courage and strength for Michelle to share this letter. Her words were so correct a baby is gift and not just a number. Love and prayers go out to your family.
Im so sorry.