'Breaking Dawn' Hair Colorist Explains Kristen Stewart's Shade & Gives You Tips

Thu, December 1, 2011 3:59pm EST by 11 Comments

Uber-talented celebrity hair colorist Jennifer J. gives you the inside scoop on coloring the strands of Kristen, R-Patz and more on the set of ‘Breaking Dawn’ and gives you tips for getting their looks!

Find out what the process was like to get Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson their most perfect hair colors yet and why the key on a film set is always consistency. Then learn Jennifer J.‘s hair color secret weapon. Hint: You can get it at a drugstore!

How would you describe Kristen’s color in Breaking Dawn?

She has auburn brown type of hair. A reddish-brown — so it’s like a chocolatey brown with rich red undertones. How hair colors change, I think that people are really looking to have more warmth in their hair. And I think that it’s [red undertones] much more flattering for every skin tone.

Did Kristen have any input into her color?

“She just wanted to stay really close to Bella… but she was also very open to suggestions.”

How long did it take you to get Rob’s color just right?

“Originally, he was going to try and get away with not coloring his hair. I believe in the first film, that is his natural hair color. He just felt like if I don’t have to do it, let’s not. In general, men’s hair color is very natural looking, so even when you color men’s hair, you want it looking really natural — like a man. [For Breaking Dawn,] it had to be richer tones, more along the lines of Bella so they looked right together.”

Which character’s color was your favorite to create? Why?

“I loved doing Bella the most because it was really exciting for me — I’d watch all the films and see people’s hair colors change from scene to scene and film to film. As a hair colorist, I’m obsessive about color, and I finally got my hands on it!”

Can you share any hair coloring secrets?

“The basis for everything I do in color is layering, so everybody I did, I was layering color. I also like to seal everything with a gloss. I feel like people at home, if they want to get something they saw in film, go to your hairdresser and get them to give you the shiniest gloss they can give you or go out and buy a gloss that would work with your hair color. It could totally be a clear gloss. If you’ve never colored your hair or if you are 14 and you’re not ready or your mom won’t let you, you can still do a clear gloss.”

According to Jennifer, a gloss can even makes your hair easier to style and can tame frizziness. What a great tip!

Eden Univer

Get More From Our BFF’s At Glamour!

1. 50 Things Men Are Afraid to Ask for (but Really Want Super-Duper Badly)
  2. The Dos, Don’ts & Double Don’ts of Jeans
  3. 16 Sexy Party Dresses, Perfect For Your Body Shape
  4. Holiday Gift Guide

Ali

Posted at 3:54 PM on February 25, 2013

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me.

Anyways, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

Jean Grey

Posted at 2:41 AM on June 28, 2012

Edward’s hair in Breaking Dawn was way too red. It was completely different from any of the other movies, and the books themselves. It was an obvious change and it was distracting. His hair is supposed to be bronze which is a light/golden brown with some warm red/orange tints in the sunlight. Rob’s natural hair in Twilight was almost perfect. It was golden brown with an orange-y undertone to it. They changed it way too much in BD, and it was almost Bella’s hair color. It was dark brown with red undertones, which was totally wrong. Did love Bella’s hair color though. Her’s has been the most consistant from the films.

Jen

Posted at 2:30 AM on May 7, 2012

How is Kristen’s hair cut

Luca

Posted at 7:48 PM on January 1, 2012

Pity whoever did the rest of the cast pretty much sucked. Especially poor Jackson. Way more handsome than Rob could ever be but they uglied him up with the bad blonde color etc.

BellaSwan

Posted at 12:02 PM on January 31, 2012

Yuck He is not handsome..I mean Jacksons okay….but ehh

bekah

Posted at 8:37 PM on March 7, 2012

Edwards way hotter ;)

manuela

Posted at 9:12 PM on December 4, 2011

yo te amo soy de colombia robetr te amo

Ella

Posted at 1:30 PM on December 2, 2011

Edward’s hair color was described as “bronze” or “reddish brown” in Twilight. I’ve always felt they should have had a little more red in his hair the way it was described. Red undertones and “bronze” are definitely not the same look.

alicebellz

Posted at 12:04 PM on January 31, 2012

I totally agree!! Edward’s hair looks to be almost the same color as Bella’s sometimes… I agree they should have had more red in it… It would have been true to the book :/

KSG

Posted at 10:22 AM on December 2, 2011

Her hair looks like L’Oreal Casting in Chocolate to me.

bekah

Posted at 8:36 PM on March 7, 2012

More like L’OREAL sublime color in spicy auburn brown….