'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Damon Shows Elena The Way To His Heart. She Loves It.

Fri, October 21, 2011 12:11am EDT by 24 Comments
the vampire diaries 3x06

Also, uh… is Katherine dead now? Just checking.

Track and field! Bonfires! Cheerleading practice! After ignoring Mystic Falls High for what seemed like forever, the Oct. 20 episode of The Vampire Diaries was (literally) exploding with school spirit. But the best class of all was chemistry — and Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Elena (Nina Dobrev) racked up some major extra credit.

I’ll start this week’s review by dissecting that epic “Delena” scene, because I honestly can’t stop going over it in my head. Elena started training in order to better protect herself against Stefan (Paul Wesley), so Damon seized the opportunity to get physical. Not even the most die-hard “Stelena” fan could deny the heavy breathing that went down as Damon’s hands worked their magic on every inch of skin they could find. For a girl trying to develop self-defense skills, she sure wasn’t putting up a fight.

The “Delena” love-fest continued at the bonfire when Stefan caught her pining over Damon from across the party. There’s nothing going on between Damon and Rebekah (Claire Holt), but seeing them acting flirty drove Elena insane — and rightfully so.

(CLICK HERE to vote for which brother had better chemistry with Elena this week.)

But while Elena and Damon moved ever closer to doing the inevitable nasty this week, not every Mystic Falls couple fared as well:

For starters, I guess I was right when I predicted a brewing triangle between Caroline (Candice Accola), Tyler (Michael Trevino) and Rebekah. Not only was Caroline totes annoyed that Bex joined the spirit squad — thanks for getting killed and leaving a spot open, Dana — but she was also miffed when she found out Tyler had been mingling with “Barbie Klaus” behind her back.

And even though Tyler and Caroline served up an amazing “Forwood” scene towards the end of the episode — he told her “Everything I love about myself… is you,” then proceeded to ravage her — Rebekah ultimately entered the scene to spoil their fun. She brought Tyler a little gift to snack on, and I’m thinking the more she’s able to push him towards his hybrid nature, the further she’s going to push him away from Caroline.

The ghosts also stirred up trouble in “Beremy” land this week, as Bonnie (Kat Graham) finally told off Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) for allowing Anna (Malese Jow) to stick around and get between them. And if you think Anna’s not a threat to their relationship, think again. By the end of the episode, Jeremy and Anna were actually touching hands — and that’s like third base for a ghost!

Bonnie also added fuel to my “Batt” theory when she chose to help Matt (Zach Roerig) with his own ghost problem over staying to help Jeremy with his. Vicki (Kayla Ewell) convinced her weepy-eyed brother to help her cross over to the land of the living, only to reveal her true intentions of killing Elena. After a very Secret Circle-esque scene that involved Vicki trapping Elena in a burning car, Matt realized the error of his ways and worked with Bonnie to send Vicki back into ghostly obscurity.

But this wouldn’t be The Vampire Diaries without a twist ending — and this week’s episode had two amazing shockers. First, Katherine’s life now hangs in the balance after she revived Mikael (Sebastian Roché) and he decided to have her for a snack. Honestly, why did she think it would be a good idea to bring back a vampire who freakin’ hunts other vampires? Sometimes Katherine makes Elena look smart.

And just when I thought the episode couldn’t get any better, along came twist No. 2: Damon was knocked on his butt by a not-so-friendly ghost named Mason freakin’ Lockwood! (Welcome back, Taylor Kinney. Mystic Falls simply has not been as beautiful since you left.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries

Antiquarian, Rare & Collectable,Art, Architecture & Photography

Posted at 11:13 PM on May 24, 2012

Useful info. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and I am stunned why this twist of fate didn’t happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

divya

Posted at 5:09 AM on October 25, 2011

i hv a problem wid ppl not acknowledgin stuff thts so obvious….she cud barly breath whn damon touched her…n she went green whn she sw him wid Miss wannabe barbie klaus…i think she is jus emotionally attached to stefan on sum level…but she hz d chemisty n a raw magenetic pull toward damon…he is crazy abt her…she bettr register tht soon…n i like d way u write andy…u nvr miss d point…i love reading you VD recap newsletters :)

DH

Posted at 2:49 AM on October 23, 2011

Everyone has their biases, from politics to religion to authors to TV shows. There is no shame in your bias toward Damon/Elena, just as there is no shame in those who are biased toward Stefan/Elena, or Jeremy/Vicki, or Caroline/Tyler, or even Klaus/Stefan.

I for one enjoy the recaps regardless. I just like to be reminded what a great show I’m watching. Keep it up!

MJ

Posted at 6:58 PM on October 21, 2011

No need to adjust your bias as far as I’m concerned. I appreciate reading a recap that doesn’t completely ignore what’s obviously happening between Damon and Elena while waxing poetic about Stefan and Elena. Chemistry is subjective, but the fact that Elena still loves and wants to help Stefan, doesn’t negate the obvious attraction and chemistry she’s finally acknowledging between her and Damon. So, go ahead and include some Stefan and Elena in your recaps, but keep up with the Delena coverage. It’s way too much fun!

Lilla

Posted at 4:24 PM on October 21, 2011

Im so sick of Damon and Elena, well maybe just Elena. I dont see how this is gonna work if she ends up hooking up with Damon you know how these shows work its not gonna be forever so then what shes gonna go from damon to stefan and back to damon again I mean at the end of the day they are brothers its not like the whole Edward V.S Jacob deal. I will admitt Im not a Delena Shipper but they did have great chemistry in this episode.

Angel

Posted at 4:09 PM on October 23, 2011

She’s not going to hook up with him until her relationship with Stefan is through. She can’t stay with Stefan forever because their love is like high school, teenage love, and he’s always going to be 17! She’s already a year older than him!

Damon and Elena will get together later (most likely season 4), and have a mature, more lasting relationship. I just can’t see Stefan and Elena lasting forever, sorry. It just doesn’t make sense (even if she doesn’t pick Damon in the end, I don’t see how she could pick Stefan either!).

x_x

Posted at 4:16 PM on October 21, 2011

Yeaaaah mason is back!!!!!!!!

windgirl

Posted at 11:40 AM on October 21, 2011

I Love it when Andy Swift reply to some comments its so nice to see you care about comments …
this episode was weird in a moment I feel like “Oh this is great ” and in the other moment I say ” oh know its a weak episode ”
I think Elena need to try as much as she can until the last ray of hope on Stefan (but I m Delena fan)its logical its love Elena is in love with Stefan so she will try as much as she can and its good cause Damon seems to understand her and I hope one day soon she sees that she can give Damon a try too ! I mean she can try and make Stefan back to his good side but still see that she has feelings for Damon (may be more than Stefan after all the things they go thorough)

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:26 PM on October 21, 2011

Hey, I’d sit on here all day commenting all day if I could :)

And I agree about Damon understanding her. Those two just need to hug it out, already.

windgirl

Posted at 4:36 PM on October 21, 2011

LOL…you are so cool ! I have never expected to see a cool writer like you in this site :) I feel I m gonna be a fan of you ;)
BTW truly agree with the hug thing …
That Vampire Haunter will get us into a trouble until the end of the season God help us !
First Damon was the bad one then Katrine then Elijah then Klaus and NOW Michel … Who is NEXT we should be worried about LOL =))
I Love this show any way … and even reading the reviews and Watching fans choose side and argue about it is exciting too
Lets Have fun until the next week :)

Angel

Posted at 10:13 AM on October 21, 2011

Oh Hollywood Life, I can always depend on you to give me good Delena coverage<3

Thanks for the great review (yet again!). I thought it was a so-so episode, but the Delena scenes were beyond amazing and eclipsed basically everything else. I also loved their scene in the bathroom at the end, and Elena staking Stefan when he called her "pathetic". It needed to happen! lol.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:13 AM on October 21, 2011

:) That was a pretty huge moment for those two. I’m loving Elena kicking ass this season.

My OTP is Delena

Posted at 9:05 AM on October 21, 2011

I thought the only way to kill a vampire was a stake through the heart! So Katherine can’t be dead…

Also, those scenes between Damon and Elena were so hot! I love them and if they don’t at least kiss before the end of the season I’m gonna be pissed!

P.S. Tyler should have his shirt off more

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:27 AM on October 21, 2011

I’m really hoping Katherine isn’t dead. But I thought if you drain them, they can die, like when they were keeping Katherine in the cave and not feeding her.

(I guess it just sucks to be Katherine all around…)

MJ

Posted at 7:01 PM on October 21, 2011

I was under the impression that even draining the vamp won’t kill them. They’ll become a dried out husk, but blood will always revive them. So, even if Katherine’s been drained – which I very much doubt she has – I don’t think we’ll have seen the last of her.

suz

Posted at 5:55 PM on October 21, 2011

i agree katherine can’t be dead!!

“if they don’t at least kiss before the end of the season I’m gonna be pissed!”

Me too !! x( ..

overall, it was an okay episode ..

Leah

Posted at 9:01 AM on October 21, 2011

Damon and Elena are the best part of the show!

I love their chemistry, storylines, scenes, everything! Their whole journey is amazing.

I will be so sad if Tyler goes darkside and leaves Caroline :(

Bonnie should hold hands with Matt and see how Jeremy likes it!

kiki

Posted at 3:53 AM on October 21, 2011

Man, can u be anymore biased? No wonder so many Stefan/Elena fans ignore this site.

mariane

Posted at 8:42 AM on October 21, 2011

Agree with ya kiki because they only talk about damon and elena and its getting kinda annoying!what’s wrong with stefan and elena !

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:26 AM on October 21, 2011

I will admit my bias is even more bias-y than usual. I’ll make it my mission to play fair from now on.

Angel

Posted at 10:49 AM on October 21, 2011

You don’t have to play fair. There are plenty of sites out there that completely ignore Delena, so by you shining a spotlight on them, you set yourself apart – be proud of that! ;)

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:14 AM on October 21, 2011

Thanks, Angel :)

tinamarie

Posted at 11:34 AM on October 21, 2011

I couldn’t agree more. Besides if Elena and Stefan had the chemistry that Elena and Damon did that would be a different story but they don’t. Not even close.

CatWizard152

Posted at 11:07 AM on October 21, 2011

And also you guys are so biased towards Harry Potter and Twilight!! It’s constantly towards Twilight and you are not giving Harry Potter fans time of the day.