'The Lying Game' Fall Finale: Is Sutton Really Dead?

Tue, October 18, 2011 6:41pm EDT by 56 Comments

Join me in analyzing last night’s game-changing fall finale.

The Oct. 17 fall finale of ABC Family’s The Lying Game was an hour of twists and turns — but no turn was as intense as when Sutton (Alexandra Chando) literally turned her car towards a lake and drove right into the water! Yes, everyone’s favorite evil twin was left gasping for her life, leaving fans with one very big question: Is Sutton really dead?

My knee-jerk assumption is “No, of course they wouldn’t kill off one half of the show’s still-developing story line.” But after giving it some thought — and doing a little bit of “research” — I’ve stumbled on two reasons why it’s totally possible that we’ve seen the last of Sutton:

First of all, now that Annie is back in Phoenix, the twins’ season-long search is over. So there’s really nothing left for them to do together. Besides, if Sutton lived and exposed Emma’s identity, the lying would pretty much come to a halt. And, honestly, this show isn’t called The Truth-telling Game!

But the main reason I wouldn’t be shocked if Sutton died is that [SPOILER ALERT] Sutton gets murdered in the Lying Game book series! In fact, Sutton is killed in the first book, leaving her ghost to narrate Emma’s hunt for her sister’s killer for the remainder of the series.

But what do YOU think? Is Sutton really dead, or will she survive her little detour into the deep?

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for all things Lying Game

bfdude

Posted at 7:44 AM on December 26, 2011

I missed the finale, Sutton crashes her car into the lake? Did someone tamper with the car….did the brakes fail?

Yasmin

Posted at 7:11 PM on January 1, 2012

Somebody popped up in her back seat, she got scared and turned to see who it was and lost control of the car and drove into the lake.

Chesire obadiah

Posted at 12:19 PM on December 20, 2011

Am certain that sutton is nt dead. N/B the plot is still premature 4 one twin 2 die.

Emmily jepchirchir talam

Posted at 6:05 PM on December 19, 2011

No why kill her when the twins are almost reunitied with their birth mother

Kendelle

Posted at 7:32 AM on December 19, 2011

there is a possibility that Sutton is dead. This should make Emma try to find the killer. Maybe the killer is the same person who stole the laptop? Its a whole new dimension. So yes Sutton should d definitely be dead. The person who killed Sutton was sure with her determination she would answer all those questions.

Kendelle

Posted at 7:24 AM on December 19, 2011

I actually think that they can’t kill Sutton, because then the lying game would make no sense, Sutton always has been a lead role in this. Alec is really suspicious, what if he is the father of the twins? What if he is afraid that Annie might reveal secrets of the past. Who paid Ruth to pretend she was the birth mother? It is because of Alec and Sutton’s dad that Annie could only take Emma and not Sutton. All these questions need to be answered with Sutton and Emma. Emma definitely cannot do this alone.
So Sutton cannot die. That is a fact!

Kimber

Posted at 10:19 AM on November 12, 2011

You people missed a HUGE clue. Alec is obviously apart of ALL of this. If he wanted Sutton back he’d make it happen! Remember when he bailed her out? He got mad when Emma’s bff came to pick her up. (it spoiled his plans.) then the night of the twin’s birthday he had to leave. He told Thare that he had to get “Sutton’s” gift and was gone all the way up until the party started. He could arrange for anything. Plus whoever is in the back seat of the car with Sutton is STILL there! Nobody got out. Emma’s hair was wet due to the rain. If you didn’t notice it as she walked into the party rewind and go see!! Alec is the biggest player in this lying game so don’t think there won’t be one if he gets rid of Sutton to keep Emma around (who actually makes Sutton’s family and friends better).

Kim

Posted at 6:17 AM on October 29, 2011

I hope Sutton is alive!

I know that many people hate Sutton, but I love her! she’s like blair kinda character for me. Sutton did have a point when she said that Emma and Ethan tried to make a villain of her to excuse the cheating. If Emma really wanna try to mend her relationship with Sutton, she shouldn’t have cheated with her sister boyfriend.

martine

Posted at 4:52 PM on October 28, 2011

I hope she is dead. But I wonder, did Annie kill her? Why did Annie get a fake serial number to raise Emma, and be so worried that she killed Emma, but not even give Sutton a hug? Maybe Annie didn’t love Sutton for a good reason. Maybe There is a reason Sutton is so different from Emma. Why Sutton is such a bad person. Maybe she is psychotic from birth and tryed to kill Emma or something as a young child.

Kendelle

Posted at 7:28 AM on December 19, 2011

She couldn’t raise Sutton because of Alec and Sutton’s father who were really close to her. She could not give Sutton a hug because she thought it was all an illusion. All twins are different. At birth. Sutton was adopted when she was two days old and so was Emma so there is no way she could possibly had tried to kill Emma. Annie could not kill Sutton.

Brandy

Posted at 1:13 PM on October 26, 2011

Yes, I think Sutton is dead based on the books (which I’m debating on reading). Since the first season was way off teh books, I’m thinking they’ll revert back to the books and in her own way, while looking for her killer, Sutton will help Emma uncover their adoption cover up, etc.

Katie

Posted at 8:49 PM on October 24, 2011

Yes, i do think sutton is dead! She was in a sinking car couldnt get out! Wat else would you think. i think it was Travis thatt pushed into the swamp or lake!

Amber

Posted at 1:38 AM on October 23, 2011

i think it was travis, i mean he did find out,and noone heard frum him since, so i think its travis, he proboly thought it was emma or something like that, i want sutton alive, she maybe be in on an act, alec has something to do with it, maybe it was annie, but its clear it wasnt emma, she wouldnt do that, derek is honestly a great person, but aniie wouldny do it , because theyre both her daughters
its such a twist, alot of thinking
looking foward to january! i hope its on mt b-day

Amber

Posted at 1:23 AM on October 23, 2011

whouldnt you think that its trying to trick us, to think that sutton cant get out of that car, someone may save her, or she mught escape, you never really kno, theyre isnt a lying game without sutton

Martine

Posted at 4:53 PM on October 28, 2011

In the books Sutton was dead all along, so YES there is a lying game without the witch Sutton.

Meredith

Posted at 2:50 PM on October 22, 2011

Even though Sutton was seriously getting on my nerves, I hope she didnt die. Mostly because now when the truth does come out it’s going to look even more like Emma killed her, especially since she came to the party late and with wet hair – And I dont see anyone except Ethan actually taking her side and believing her. However, this is probably way off but my original prediction was that since Sutton was drowning and couldnt breath they were going to have the twintelepothy thing, and then Emma would go and find her… probably just wishful thinking though! lol.

Dominque Pruitt

Posted at 5:30 PM on October 21, 2011

Will there be another season of The Lying Game? If so, when will it air or how soon because the finale left me breathless and in shock! I’m dying to know when will the next episode come on. I want to see the rest of the story because I’m just wondering and curious.

person

Posted at 9:45 PM on January 2, 2012

tonight at 9 its on right now

Blany

Posted at 12:29 AM on October 20, 2011

it couldnt be emma in the car bc the last time we saw emma was when she was wearing red. sutton was laready wearing her bday dress and emma couldnt have ripped it out of sutton besides when emma got 2 d party she asked immediately where sutton was.

Tom

Posted at 10:07 PM on October 19, 2011

Wouldn’t it make more sense is Sutton is found on the lake bank but she has a massive amnesia and doesn’t know who she is, I am almost positive it was Annie in the back seat of Suttons car, her appearance may be a hostility toward one of the Twins since she was told one died in the fire and she is a mental case. In any event when the truth comes out that Ted Mercer is actually the twin girls father after the night he spent with Annie, both girls will have their real father….

There is also something fishy going on with Justin Miller. Could this be another Ted love child or possibly an ALEC love child that is returning to find his identiy…. that would be terrible since he is already than sleeping with his sister… Yuck….

Anyway I hope the show continues I love the twists in the plot…

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:29 AM on October 21, 2011

Ooh… I never even considered the possibility Sutton could get amnesia. I like it :)

martine

Posted at 4:58 PM on October 28, 2011

Justin is the same age as Sutton and Emma. he can not be Annies son. NOT POSSIBLE.

soph

Posted at 12:49 PM on October 29, 2011

so he sais his the same age, or triplets?????

Kendelle

Posted at 7:36 AM on December 19, 2011

It cannot be Annie, how could she escape and appear at the party immediately…

SuttonFan

Posted at 9:46 PM on October 19, 2011

Are we even sure that is Sutton in the car drowning? How can we be sure that the twin at the party was Emma? Why was whoever it was wet???? Maybe both were in the car when it hit the lake? Could Emma have killed Sutton to take her place forever or Could Sutton have killed Emma so she can get her life back.

Amber

Posted at 1:33 AM on October 23, 2011

you have a great point, the person at the party could be sutton, i beilieve that annie did it,i mean she is mental,

Martine

Posted at 4:59 PM on October 28, 2011

I think Annie knows why Sutton is so horrid. She is a bad person because of something in her from birth. Annie knows that Suttom should be dead.

Melinda

Posted at 2:12 PM on January 2, 2012

its not Emma in the car you because at the end of the episode Emma see’s someone outside the door and walks out and says “Sutton? is that you?” their for it cant be Sutton.i believe that it is very possible it was Annie in the car and was there to warn Emma that Sutton was in the car in the lake, or something like that.

Stephan

Posted at 2:36 PM on October 19, 2011

Sutton might be a little selfish bitch sometimes (ok most of the time ;)) but I don’t want her to die! I didn’t read the books and I know in the books she is dead from the beginning, but seriously I don’t want her dead, I hope she’ll survive somehow, maybe in a coma or something like that and Emma has to find out who did this to Sutton. But I’m scared because Annie showed up (what will bring this unexpected suprise) and Sutton is drowning and I have a bad feeling that she really is going to die, if I think about it, she is alone within the car only the attacker is with her and I think he is KO (I think Derek is the attacker and was hired by Alec, but I don’t think to kill Sutton, I think to kidnap her or something like that, but then this accident happend). DAMN IT! I can’t wait till January! I’m going nuts till then, asking me all the time what will happen next! -.- ABC Family is pure evil to leave us suffer and going crazy about this cliffhanger =(

wanted

Posted at 2:35 PM on October 19, 2011

Derek might not be involved. Alex closed the blinds in Dan’s office and we do not know what Dan was told or asked to do.

Slims

Posted at 2:13 PM on October 19, 2011

OK I keep changing my opinion as to whether Sutton lives or dies. This is my latest theory:

Sutton lives and realizes that someone is out to kill her. The only people she may be able to trust is Emma/Ethan. She finds them and reconciles with them. Then plans to stay in hiding until they find out who/why wants Emma or Sutton or both dead.

Stephan

Posted at 2:38 PM on October 19, 2011

I really hope it is like you said Slims, because even if Sutton is not that nice I don’t want her to die =( I want her and Emma to get an Happy End someday and be real sisters with a real family =S

Martine

Posted at 4:55 PM on October 28, 2011

Thats silly. Sutton would suspect Emma and Ethan of trying to kill them. If she survived she would try to frame them for murder, because thats the kind of horrid person she is. PLEASE LET HER BE DEAD.

hunter

Posted at 4:56 AM on October 19, 2011

Don’t be so quick to say goodbye to Sutton. Bobby Ewing ‘died’ in the original TV series Dallas…or did he? Anything can happen on film. How do we know that it is not Emma in the car? Yeah, and why was “Emma” wet when she showed up at the party late and wet. The last time she was seen was when she returned back to the house as the parents were leaving, arms loaded with gifts. BTW…Alex’s mysterious gift?

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:30 AM on October 21, 2011

I would love for this show to end like Dallas ;)

Stephanie

Posted at 12:13 AM on October 19, 2011

Now my question is who was in Sutton’s car when she drover her car over the bridge? And why was Emma so suspiciously wet when she entered the party…? I mean it did look like she was in the back of the car when Sutton drove the car over?

Kayla S.

Posted at 5:45 AM on October 19, 2011

The person in the car was obviously Char’s boyfriend, Derek. He was working for Alec (this is Sutton’s “birthday present” Alec referred to, killing her) and Derek told Char he had to miss the party because he had “something to do”, aka kill Sutton. I highly doubt she’ll be killed and chances are, Derek would end up saving her… ’cause I like to believe he’s not that evil to actually murder. And Emma was wet because it was storming out… whoever was in the car with Sutton is still in it. Also, if a window or door had been opened under water, it would have sank alot faster and the pressure would have forced those inside to wait until the pressure balanced out.

Dominque Pruitt

Posted at 5:33 PM on October 21, 2011

Because it was already raining out side and i believe it was emma because i got a little suspicious myself when i saw her wet!

Kayla

Posted at 10:30 PM on October 18, 2011

I hope she dies. I mean, it would provide a much thicker plot, with Emma continuing with Sutton’s life, figuring out what happened to Sutton, there’s so many possibilities if she DOES die. The show would probably become stretched out if Sutton lives, they have a confrontation, the truth comes out, then what? BLEH. She needs to die.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:08 AM on October 19, 2011

I like the way you think, Kayla >:)

Billy

Posted at 3:36 AM on October 20, 2011

I’d like her dead too, Kayla, but really … i’d prefer her to live and be surprised by the producers with a plot that nobody thinks of .

ashlee

Posted at 7:21 PM on October 18, 2011

I think that it was a good show but it did not have to end like that!!!She can`t be dead the next season would not be the same!!!

Billy

Posted at 3:34 AM on October 20, 2011

Hey ! That’s a good end for us not to loose interest until january.

lily

Posted at 5:19 PM on October 18, 2011

I think she’s really dead, I mean I know people are thinking “HOW WILL THEY KILL THE MAIN CHARACTER OMG?” but it’s exacly what Andy said if sutton lives she’ll reveal emma’s identity and then what? the show’s whole plot is over!! so it doesnt seem THAT CRAZY if sutton really died last night
on the other hand, IF sutton died what will happen when they find her dead body??? maybe they’ll just say it was really Emma who was in the car? and Emma will be Sutton forever?
anyway what im saying is, honestly i’d be happy if sutton died, she’s a horrible person and no one really likes her

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:27 PM on October 18, 2011

So true. IDK who would actually miss Sutton.

In the books, Emma basically keeps Sutton’s identity forever. They’re mostly about Emma trying to find Sutton’s killer. So I guess that’ll be the second half of the season? :)

Tionna

Posted at 11:42 PM on October 18, 2011

SUTTON IS ALIVE ALIVE ALIVE I TELL YOU….SHES ALIVE….LOL

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:07 AM on October 19, 2011

Haha, how do you know? You must have sources at the bottom of the lake. Fill me in! :)

Dominque Pruitt

Posted at 5:35 PM on October 21, 2011

Will there be another season of the lying if so when how soon what year! lol but im so serious.

Jenna

Posted at 6:41 PM on October 23, 2011

It comes back in January. Relax.

ABCFamily

Posted at 11:01 AM on December 19, 2011

The Lying Game finale was killer right? I work on behalf of the network and I am not afraid to admit that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I am counting down the days until it comes back on January 2! I seriously can’t wait to find out what happened to Sutton and Emma. Anybody here have any ideas?