Bonnie Says: Fashion Designers, Pay Attention! Real Women Want To Look Like Curvy Blake Lively & Kim Kardashian — NOT Skinny Models!

Tue, September 13, 2011 2:42pm EDT by 13 Comments

Hello, fashion designers! Why are you still filling the runways at NYC Fashion Week with models so skinny they look like little fawns?

Women don’t want to be fawns, baby colts, pencils or skeletons! Women want to be fit, healthy and sexy! Women want to look great for themselves AND, yes, also for men.

That is a FACT! Women enjoy feeling alluring for the men in their lives… or for the men that they want to have in their lives.

And yes, while every woman wants to lose 5 lbs and is constantly working out or watching what she eats, no normal woman wants to look like the rail-thin models marching down the runways at NY Fashion Week.

Those poor things have legs like sticks, bony knees, protruding clavicle bones, wraith-like arms and not a hint of hips, tummies or breasts. They are sexless!

They don’t even look like adolescent girls. Kylie Jenner, 14, who walked in the Abbey Dawn fashion show on September 12 is beautifully slim and still looked twice as wide as the typical models on the runway. What’s up with that?

In previous fashions seasons, I’ve spent time interviewing modelling agents, designers, and representatives for NY Fashion Week and no one “knows” who is creating this sub- zero size model trend. Everyone points a finger at each other.

Designers claim that the only models the modelling agencies send them are ultra skinny girls. They are forced to use them. Then the modelling agents reply that it’s really the stylists for the fashion shows who want the super skinnies. After past show seasons,  there’s been talk about banning models from the runway who had a lower body mass index (BMI) than 18.5. Madrid, Spain, actually banned models with a BMI of less than 18!

In the meantime, the pencils keep marching on down the runways. But in the world of real American women — the beauty and style role models that actual, red-blooded American women aspire to — have plenty of curves.

So designers, whether you like it or not, it’s fuller figured women like Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé, Christina Hendricks, J. Lo, Blake Lively, Diana Agron, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato and Vanessa Hudgens that real women want to emulate and dress like.

Even the slimmest stars that women are fascinated by – Kristen Stewart, Taylor Swift and of course, Kate Middleton – are nowhere near as bony as these runway creations.

So why, American designers, do you want to use them to show off your clothes?

Trust me, women don’t want to look at coat hangers. I’m sure they will crave and lust after your clothes even more if they could see them on the healthier, curvier models that used to be the norm in the supermodel era, before the turn of the century.

There’s a reason that stars, not models, dominate magazine covers, advertising campaigns and websites. It’s because that’s who women want to look like.

I strongly suggest you listen to them!

— Bonnie Fuller

Get the Latest News on Fashion Week Here!

1. Betsey Johnson’s Daughter LuLu Walked In Her Spring 2012 Show!
  2. We Can Totally See Blake Lively Wearing DKNY’s Bold Printed And Flowy Looks Next Spring! Can’t YOU?
  3. Nicki Minaj & Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour: Oddest Couple Of The Day!

Richard

Posted at 7:28 PM on February 3, 2012

Why did you only put names on the thick girls in the pictures? Some of us like a fit girl- you should include names for all the pictures, not just the heavy girls!

Lea

Posted at 11:18 AM on January 5, 2012

But then articles like this and the message you are trying to send out is doing just as much damage. There ARE women out there who are naturally ‘bony’ looking or very skinny, who TRY to put on weight because in actual fact they feel pressure from being told that curvy is the only sexy. I have always been slim, slender with not many curves and it’s taught me to hate my body in previous years. But now I’m going to embrace it and not let people like you tell me that I’m ‘sexless’. Because men are always telling me how much sex appeal I have, so quite clearly it’s confidence that makes you sexy and accepting yourself. NOT what your body looks like.

M

Posted at 1:00 AM on February 13, 2012

I know how you feel, thanks for posting this.

I can’t believe people have the nerve to call us “sexless” just to make other people feel better. Why must we always put others down to bring ourselves up? It’s totally arrogant.

RAC

Posted at 7:56 AM on September 14, 2011

I’m a mannequin shopper. Mannequin’s have breasts and hips and I can see how the outfit hangs. I don’t have time to try on 15 different outfits to see how they hang on me.

Let the fashion industry continue with the “dark ages” approach and watch the fashion houses close. They will never fully infiltrate the market segment they want.

Nice article Bonnie. Maybe someday it will change, but it won’t unless people continue to complain.

hannagulde

Posted at 6:44 AM on September 14, 2011

I just got a $829.99 iPad2 for only $103.37 and my mom got a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with USPS tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or Bestbuy. I sold a 37″ HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for.I use…,
xub.me/Lb

Cathy

Posted at 11:03 PM on September 13, 2011

The designers really don’t want to make clothes for women with curves. Ever notice, for example, on the Project Runway show how designers view the obligatory ONE challenge a season to make clothes for real – read not stick-women with scorn, sighs and mockery? The Fashion industry is run by and for those who seem most intolerant and downright mean to anyone who is not their idea of perfect. This shows a lack of imagination, creativity and desire to be financially successful. Women of all sizes like to wear beautiful, tasteful clothes and are willing to pay well to do it.

deedhkhk

Posted at 9:01 PM on September 13, 2011

★good★

look love— w w w – jordan forworld – c o m

believe you will love it.

love good go.

cynstar

Posted at 6:23 PM on September 13, 2011

Kim and Blake are not the smae kind of curvy lol.

j

Posted at 5:12 PM on September 13, 2011

blake isnt curvy!

c

Posted at 3:56 PM on September 13, 2011

yeah, skeletor up there is disgusting looking

Anna

Posted at 3:15 PM on September 13, 2011

Blake is FAKE and so is Kim. I dont want to look fake so..
but still curvy is way better.

Me

Posted at 4:25 PM on September 13, 2011

omg.. enough with the hatred.

Anna

Posted at 6:44 AM on September 14, 2011

I’m not a hater i’m just telling the truth. Blake has a good body but it’s fake. and I don’t like kim’s body any-way so..