Tragedy at a Ball Game: Father Falls to His Death as 7-Year-Old Son Watches

Fri, July 8, 2011 1:21pm EDT by 9 Comments

A firefighter trying to catch a ball plummeted 20 feet at a Texas Rangers baseball game as his son looked on.

Shannon Stone, 39, was enjoying the Texas Rangers and Oakland A’s July 7 game with his son, Cooper, 7, when he did what most fans do: try to catch a ball flying into the stands.

Shannon was sitting in the front row, a few seats down from former President George W. Bush, when he asked player Josh Hamilton to toss him a ball. Hamilton obliged, but as Shannon reached over the barrier to catch the ball, he fell forward, behind the scoreboard onto the concrete below. As he fell, little Cooper grabbed onto his father’s sandals, trying to catch him.

“I tried to grab him, but I couldn’t,” said Ronnie Hargis, who was seated next to Shannon. “I tried to slow him down a little bit. He went straight down.”

As Shannon was taken away by ambulance he was still conscious, saying, “Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.”

Less than an hour after the fall, Shannon was pronounced dead at a Texas hospital.

The Texas Rangers’ team president Nolan Ryan said “Mr. Hamilton is very distraught over this, as the entire team is.”

Bob Melvin, the manager of the Oakland As said, “It’s just devastating. I don’t even know what to say. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. Certainly baseball is not very important in light of something like that.”

We hope that safety precautions will be taken in the future to prevent accidents like these from happening!

–Scott Galina

More on HollyBaby:

1. 12-Year-Old Girl Takes Her Own Life So That She Could Be An Organ Donor To Her Sick Brother & Father
  2. Kiddie Pools Will Kill One Child Every FIVE DAYS This Summer! Is Your Pool Safe?
  3. Baby Joy For Couple Who Lost SEVEN Children In A House Fire!

Roman Blind Kits

Posted at 1:41 PM on June 26, 2012

Magnificent submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its helped me. Great job.

Hartley Services Soakaways

Posted at 3:09 AM on May 16, 2012

Remarkable things here. I am very happy to see your post. Thanks a lot and I am having a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

thailand dating site

Posted at 3:50 AM on May 15, 2012

This is really attention-grabbing, You’re an overly professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look ahead to in quest of more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks

windows 7 aktivierung

Posted at 1:48 AM on May 13, 2012

I’ve read some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you place to make this kind of fantastic informative web site.

magnetic water conditioner

Posted at 8:32 AM on May 10, 2012

I take pleasure in, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

netty

Posted at 1:45 PM on July 11, 2011

Have a little human decency and take this video down. MY GOSH, the man is being buried today. Shame on you!!!

Robin

Posted at 10:42 AM on July 11, 2011

Please take the video down. The family has requested that media not show the footage anymore for the child’s sake. Please respect their wishes.

Judie

Posted at 7:11 PM on July 9, 2011

I was at the bank when I saw this news clipping. This is heart breaking. My eyes filled with tears. Can you imagine that little boy’s pain. It is uncanny how fun can turn into a funeral so quickly. We should always be ready.

Beth

Posted at 5:28 PM on July 8, 2011

What a terrible, terrible accident. RIP Shannon.