Jennifer Hudson: When I Was Fat, I Couldn't Get The Roles I Wanted!

Fri, April 29, 2011 9:52am EDT by 19 Comments

Now that Jennifer is a skinny mini, she says she’s getting tons more job opportunities — ‘I was being discriminated against.’ BFFs, is Hollywood biased against stars based on their weight?

Before Jennifer Hudson lost 80 pounds, it was harder for her to get jobs in Hollywood. “In this slim world I do now realize I was being discriminated against,” she tells UK Grazia magazine. “I’m offered more parts. There is much more excitement about me now.”

When Jennifer was heavier, she never thought differently of herself. “I never thought I was overweight. I thought my old look was pretty normal,” she says. “That was how all the girls looked growing up in Chicago. I didn’t have any problem with it.”

“It makes me smile to think back to myself when I did Dreamgirls with Beyonce,” Jennifer continues. “I did see all these women in Hollywood, all very slim and I thought, ‘Wow, these ladies are very into themselves.’ I loved that I stood out in a room. You knew when you saw this woman it was Jennifer Hudson.”

But now, while Hollywood and the film industry are embracing Jennifer’s change, the 29-year-old actress and singer is still getting used to her new bod.

“Last week I saw some footage of myself as I was five years ago and I was surprised,” Jennifer says. “It was like I recognized myself but I didn’t. It seemed another world away.”

BFFs — should Hollywood discriminate against stars based on their size? Tell us what you think!

- Lindsey DiMattina

More Jennifer Hudson Stories:

1. Jennifer: With Or Without Bangs?
  2. Jennifer’s Super Skinny!
  3. Jennifer’s Fiance Wants Her Curvy Body Back!

blogspot.ro

Posted at 11:05 AM on January 19, 2014

He died in 1985 but this very personal museum is often a lasting reminder of an very remarkable
man. Instant availability is precisely what is triggering ebook piracy too.

Body Language is nonverbal, usually unconscious, communication by
using postures, gestures, and facial expressions.

wfryxhwbdymo

pkkszubxdfyb

qawfgtzpcssj

Posted at 10:04 AM on March 15, 2013

hhjfvkkxgeez

Kai EL Zabar

Posted at 7:07 PM on June 14, 2011

Although I feel that discrimination is very judgmental,and not the accepted ‘virtue’ of the general public, I know that in the entertainment industry particularly film and theater, casting directors are looking for actors who fit ‘the role’. Most roles do not call for a heavy woman or man for that matter. However, a heavy man is more acceptable than is the heavy woman. The roles written are just not done so with overweight people in mind. That is of course the prerogative of the writer.

Those who choose to go into the film/theater industry are well aware of the landscape. They know the scrutiny under which they will be judged. If they want to be a part of it they must conform to the written and unspoken rules if they want to participate in a major way. I don’t care how great an actress you are, if you are a 6ft tall woman you cannot portray a petite woman. The same goes with an obese or overweight woman going after roles written for a slim trim chick. It’s not going to work.

norma

Posted at 10:33 AM on April 29, 2011

This is one very smart young lady. I don’t care what her reasons for loosing the weight was. Jhud is one phenomenal young lady. She is an inspiration to sooooooooo many a round people throughout the world. Jen is just genuine as a person an a artist. I love her warm spirit and very kind heart. However I do believe Jhud is a vit to honest at times, but thats just how she keeps it real. I love this lady, because she is a real trooper on all levels through and through.

Cheeseburger

Posted at 6:07 PM on April 30, 2011

80 pounds less, straight hair with extensions and more film opportunities: Becoming white.