Nina Dobrev Talks About Elena Vs Bella And Says She Loves Edward!

Wed, January 19, 2011 2:16pm EDT by 18 Comments

Nina Dobrev thinks Edward Cullen is the “ideal man” and Bella “does everything for herself”!

Nina Dobrev might be the leading lady in The Vampire Diaries love triangle, but she has her eyes on another vampire — Edward Cullen! The actress, who plays Elena, a girl torn between two vampire brothers on the hit CW drama, says Stephenie Meyer “makes Edward seem like the ideal man, and that’s what makes you really fall in love with him.” Stefan and Damon cover your ears!

Nina also described the differences between her Elena and Kristen Stewart‘s Bella telling the Associated Press, “I think the public can compare them, but I think they are so different … Their personalities are different, the reason they do things are different. Bella does everything for herself and Elena does everything for others. But both are great in different ways.”

Nina reveals how she first caught Twilight fever: “I have read the Twilight books. I actually read them before all the movies came out. I shot a movie in Salt Lake City, where Stephenie Meyer is from, and somebody who knows her gave me the books and said, ‘You need to read these. They’re great.’ They are really good.” And even though she thinks Robert Pattinson‘s character Edward is ideal, she’s not making moves on Bella’s man. “I love Edward and the love story between him and Bella. It’s nice to currently experience something similar.”

For all you Vampire Diaries fans, here’s more from Nina on her show:

• On whether Elena was upset about Katherine: ” I think that it’s shocking. It’s one thing to have a crazy ex-girlfriend and come to terms with that. It’s like, ‘Okay, you have a past? That’s fine.’ It’s another thing to look identical to the crazy ex-girlfriend. I think Elena will always feel like, ‘Why are you dating me? Do you want to replace her with me? Isn’t that selfish of you?’ There’s a lot going on. You don’t want to look like someone else, especially an ex-girlfriend.”
  • On whether she plays both characters in the same day: ” Playing Katherine takes so long. Getting into the character, there’s the hair and make-up process, and just getting dressed, alone, takes half an hour because there’s corsets and pantaloons. There’s so many layers that it takes half an hour to put the outfits on, so I couldn’t play both in one day. It’s very good because it takes a lot of energy. When I’m in that corset for 17 hours, at the end of the day, I feel like I’ve done a work-out. I remember looking at my stomach and thinking, “I should get myself a corset for every day.” It really tones you up. You’re sucking in, all day.”
  • On her embarrassing moment on set: “When we’re doing scenes, we have mic packs, usually in the back pocket of our pants or somewhere. I went to the restroom once, forgot about my mic pack and it fell in the toilet. And, a mic pack is $2,000 or $3,000. I don’t think they heard it. I was just really embarrassed and I felt really bad. They announced it on the mics on the set, so everyone knew and everyone laughed at me. I offered to pay for it, but they wouldn’t let me.

Nina adds that there’s a lot more Katherine coming up, are you guys excited to see more of her on the show? And what do you think about Nina’s perspective on Elena vs. Bella? True or off the mark? Sound off below!

–Lorena O’Neil

kayla

Posted at 4:02 PM on April 6, 2011

i like them both:) so im not voting:)

david

Posted at 5:31 AM on February 14, 2011

Bella is the ultimate selfish girl. Her love for Edward and unwillingness to let him go has put everyone around her in danger. The fact that she wants to be made into a vampire knowing the hurt it will cause to her parents is the worst of cruelty. People are really trying to defend her?

ckkkkk

Posted at 9:32 PM on February 8, 2011

Just stfu because elena ain’t playing with them, she’s trying to save them

)))

Posted at 12:47 PM on January 29, 2011

Hmm..I love twilight but not bella…she has not so good temper..i think bella did not choose right…

Brenda Itehua

Posted at 8:28 AM on January 20, 2011

i like bella but never watched the movies
i think i am more like bella than elena

char24robsten

Posted at 12:01 AM on January 23, 2011

yeah
when she told that she’s just telling
that she ‘s more fit to be edward’s girl
well i tell you girl YOU ARE DREAMING!!!
stop what your doing if you dont want ROBSTEN.TEAM BELLA,BELLADWARD AND TWI-FANS GET MAD AT YOU AND TAKE YOUR CAREER DOWN

surfer

Posted at 8:04 AM on January 20, 2011

whats Mocha & Milk

kurt

Posted at 7:04 PM on January 19, 2011

bella is a self centred girl who plays with 2 hearts …i do not like her character

bonnii

Posted at 4:59 AM on January 20, 2011

Ahhh….isn’t elena currently caught in a love triangle between 2 brothers!

seems like a self centred girl playing with 2 hearts to me!

char24robsten

Posted at 12:04 AM on January 23, 2011

oh come on did you read the book?
or your just making your own story
why wouldn’t you read the book first huh
she’s not playing with 2 hearts she’s confused because jacob keep telling her to choose him ok

ruby

Posted at 5:25 PM on January 19, 2011

I think she was way off because Bella does things for other people (majorly) too! Like she is able to give up her life to save the ones she loves! C’mon Nina, you should try re-reading them because obviously you dont know what your talking about! A difference might be that Elena is more self confident and might not be shy for what i’ve seen?!

bonnii

Posted at 4:55 AM on January 20, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly!

char24robsten

Posted at 12:10 AM on January 23, 2011

yeah right i hate the that kurt
he dont know what his talking i bet he didnt read the books

Ana

Posted at 4:05 PM on January 19, 2011

I love Both Twilight and The Vampire Diaries. Bella in a sense does do everything for herself, for love. But she is willing to sacrifice her life for those she loves. I don’t see Bella as “selfish”. In the end, I think that’s why Bella has the power she does have. She’s protective. You can’t compare the 2, although Elena’s parents have passed you can tell she was extremely close to her family and friends. Bella never really had that family togetherness, she had no siblings. And as for her friends, she’s close to them but she didn’t grow with them like Elena did. I feel like Edward and the Cullens are the first real family she’s known. She’d protect everyone she loves so to say she’s SELFISH is just overboard. Just my opinion. As for Elena,I love the Show Elena better than the Book Elena. I felt like Book Elena was a bit self absorbed, Show Elena is great. Anyways at the end of the day I LOVE BOTH and I’m not voting.

j

Posted at 2:51 PM on January 19, 2011

i love how the second this article came up, kristen stewart fans flocked to it to vote for her. elena is the better character, bella is selfish atleast in the movie. the books she is a lot better

SCARLETT

Posted at 2:44 PM on January 19, 2011

I LIKE NINA PLAY ELENA . I LOVE KRISTEN STEWART PLAY BELLA.

2yen

Posted at 2:40 PM on January 19, 2011

go team elena! i hate bella.. think everyone who would watch tvd like for more than just a few episode, they all would like elena :D

char24robsten

Posted at 12:15 AM on January 23, 2011

just shut up!!
ok stop hating her
maybe your so old fashion huh
bella is a great young lady!!