Kelly Clarkson was the only coach to turn around for Jake Hoot’s performance during the blind auditions on The Voice — and that decision totally paid off! All season long, Jake has been impressing viewers week after week. He consistently earned the highest amount of Apple Music streams of any contestant during the live shows, and he delivered three breathtaking performances during part one of the finale on Dec. 16. Those performances earned him the most viewer votes of the our finalists, and he was officially crowned the winner of The Voice on Dec. 17. Here’s more to know about Jake:
1. He spent a majority of his childhood in the Dominican Republic. Jake was actually born in Texas, but by the time he was nine years old, his parents, who are missionaries, had relocated their family to the Dominican Republic. Because of his years in the DR, Jake has become fluent in Spanish. He also developed his love for music during these years, as he started singing and playing guitar as a teenager. He lived there until his late teen years, when the family moved to Tennessee
2. He’s college educated. Jake began attending Tennessee Tech University, in 2009. He continued playing gigs around the area during that time. His shows were mostly at college bars and restaurants.
3. He was a college football player. Despite never playing organized football, Jake walked onto the Tennessee Tech football team in college. His football teammates were the ones who ended up convincing him to start playing at open mics and pursuing music.
4. He’s a single father. Jake has a four-year-old daughter named Macy, who has supported him throughout his experience on The Voice. He is divorced from Macy’s mother.
5. He has a LOT of siblings. Jake is one of NINE siblings in his family. He is the second oldest in the brood.