FKA twigs is taking legal action against ex-boyfriend Shia LaBeouf, accusing the 34-year-old actor of sexual battery, assault, and infliction of emotional distress, according to court docs obtained by Variety. In the December 11 lawsuit, filed in a Los Angeles Superior Court, FKA, 32, (born Tahliah Debrett Barnett) recounts a specific alleged incident “just after Valentine’s Day 2019″ where Shia was driving recklessly while she was in the car. When she “begged” to be let out of the vehicle, Shia allegedly assaulted her. This was one of in a line of what she called ‘relentless’ abuse from her Honey Boy co-star.
HollywoodLife has reached out to FKA twigs and Shia LaBeouf’s reps for comment and in response, FKA’s lawyer, Bryan Freedman, shared the following statement: “Shia LaBoeuf has abused Ms. Barnett, Ms.Pho and others. We tried to resolve this matter privately on the condition that Mr. LaBeouf agree to receive meaningful and consistent psychological treatment. Since he was unwilling to agree to get appropriate help, Ms. Barnett filed this suit to prevent others from unknowingly suffering similar abuse by him.” (HollywoodLife has yet to hear back from LaBeouf’s reps).
Learn more below, along with a few key facts about FKA twigs:
1. Shia has responded to the allegations made against him by FKA. — In an email to The New York Times, the Transformers star wrote, “I’m not in any position to tell anyone how my behavior made them feel. I have no excuses for my alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations. I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I’m ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt,” he continued, adding, “There is nothing else I can really say.”
2. FKA twigs and Shia’s Relationship History — Shortly after his split from actress Mia Goth in 2018, Shia began dating FKA after he cast her in his film Honey Boy. The romance lasted less than a year, and the former couple was fairly quiet about their relationship.
3. FKA twigs is a successful singer-songwriter and actress. — She self-released her first album, EP1, in December 2012, and her second extended play, EP2, was produced by herself and Arca (you may know him as the producer of Kanye West‘s Yeezus). Her debut full-length album, LP1, released in August 2014 and was praised by critics. The record, which was also produced by herself, Arca, and a few other big names, was recognized by TIME magazine, which named twigs “one of the most compelling and complex acts in R&B.” In case you’ve never heard her music before, it can be described as electronica with R&B vocals.
4. She used to be a backup dancer. — When she was first starting out in the industry, FKA twigs moved from her native Gloucestershire to London to pursue a career as a dancer. Before transitioning into creating and performing music full-time, twigs was a backup dancer for artists like Jessie J, Kylie Minogue, and Ed Sheeran. Notably, she appeared in Jessie’s 2010 “Do It Like A Dude” video, as well as the 2011 video for her hit “Price Tag.”
5. Why the name FKA twigs, you ask? — Twigs got her nickname for the way her joints would crack when she danced. “Her joints snap so loudly and quickly that it sounds like a bag of marbles spilling onto a wood floor,” wrote Pitchfork in a 2013 profile on the singer. Twigs added the “FKA” part after another artist named “Twigs” complained about the use of her name. FKA stands for “Formerly Known As.”Click to Subscribe to Get Our Free HollywoodLife Daily Newsletter to get the hottest celeb news.