UCLA basketball has suffered yet another tragedy. Former player Billy Knight was found dead on a roadway in Phoenix at just 39 years old. Here are 5 things you need to know.
1. Billy Knight was found dead on the side of the road. The 39-year-old former Bruin’s body was found at 2:45 a.m. on July 8, and he was later pronounced dead by the Phoenix Fire Department, according to ESPN. The Phoenix do not suspect any foul play in Billy’s death.
2. He posted a shocking goodbye video before his death. Before his untimely death, Billy posted a six-minute video on YouTube on July 8 titled “Billy Knight ‘I’m Sorry Lord'” that hinted at possible suicide. In the emotional video, Billy said: “I am lost in life and I feel like there is no hope… I just feel like I can’t continue on.” He also noted that he “felt like I didn’t belong here on earth. My time is up… I will take my chances. I will be in Heaven or Hell.” He urged people with problems to get help.
3. Members of the UCLA basketball community reportedly tried to reach out to Billy. CalHiSports.com editor Ronnie Flores tweeted: “His former teammates and others saw the video. Yesterday evening, UCLA family, myself and others in basketball community were trying to reach out to Billy Knight. By 10 pm PT , it was frantic and serious, as he was in Phoenix/Sedona area. This is devastating news for many.”
4. He played for UCLA before playing overseas. He was a member of the Bruins basketball team from 1997 to 2002. He never went to the NBC. Billy played in the D-League and in France and Japan after college.
5. This is the second UCLA basketball death in one week. Former UCLA and NBA star Tyler Honeycutt was found dead on July 7 after a standoff with police. He was 27 years old.