This week is going to be fun — Week 6 of the NBA season kicks off on Nov. 22, and the matchups are epic! The week begins with Durant facing his former team, OKC, and so much more!
Here we go! — Just like that, we’re in week 6 of the 2017-18 NBA season. And, there’s no shortage of juicy storylines at this point in the season. This week, things begin on a fiery note when Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors travel to Oklahoma City for a highly anticipated matchup against the Thunder — Wednesday, Nov. 22 at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN. Kevin Durant will go head-to-head, for only a second time, with his former team; a team that he hasn’t been on the best terms with since he made the choice to take his career to the Bay area. However, he could be questionable for the game since he’s nursing an ankle injury.
Nonetheless, if Steve Kerr puts him in, Durant won’t be fazed by the scrutiny from Thunder fans. “Just a regular game for me now,” Durant said on Tuesday. “I learned how to tune out the crowd. I learned how to tune out the bulls — and just play. Just keep at basketball, and I’ll be alright.” Will reigning MVP, Russell Westbrook and 2017 Finals MVP Durant have a heated exchange?… It’s quite likely. Westbrook and Durant were teammates for eight seasons in OKC before he headed to the Warriors.
Next up — Los Angeles Lakers @ Sacramento Kings – Wednesday, Nov. 22 at 10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN. It’ll be a rookie showdown, as the Lakers’ Lonzo Ball [No. 2 overall pick] and the Kings’ De’Aaron Fox [No. 5 overall pick] meet for the first time since Fox scored 39 points for Kentucky in a win over UCLA in the Sweet 16 of the 2017 NCAA Tournament. However, Ball has been struggling on offense, only shooting 31.5 percent from the field; the worst among the rookies.
Denver Nuggets @ Houston Rockets – Wednesday, Nov. 22 at 8 p.m. ET, NBA LEAGUE PASS. — This matchup also features two young stars — the Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic and the Rockets’ Clint Capela. Both players are averaging a double-double this season. And, we all know James Harden is having a spectacular season thus far, scoring a career-high 56 points on 25 shots during Houston’s win over the Jazz 137-110 in early Nov. Now, with Chris Paul active [since Nov. 16] after sitting out due to a knee injury, his chemistry with Harden is incredible. Paul earned himself a double-double in just 21 minutes of action against the Suns on Nov. 16, where the Rockets pulled out the W, 142-116.
New York Knicks @ Houston Rockets – Saturday, Nov. 25 at 8 p.m. ET, NBA TV. — In the last meeting between the Knicks and Rockets in Houston, on Dec. 31, 2016, James Harden became the first player in NBA history to have at least 50 points, 15 assists and 15 rebounds in a game. He finished with 53 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds.
Milestones to look out for this week?
- Carmelo Anthony needs just 69 points to pass Ray Allen [24,505] for 23rd place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
- Anthony Davis needs 64 points to pass Chris Paul [7,936] for second place on the Pelicans’ career scoring list, behind David West (8,690).
- Steph Curry needs 15 three-pointers to pass Jason Kidd [1,988] for eighth place on the NBA’s all-time list. Curry [1,974] is 26 threes from 2,000.
- Dwight Howard needs 29 defensive rebounds to pass Patrick Ewing [8,855] for 10th place on the NBA’s all-time list. [Defensive rebounds have been an official statistic since 1973-74].
- Rick Carlisle needs three wins to become the 18th NBA coach with 700 victories, joining Gregg Popovich [1,160] and Doc Rivers  among active coaches.
Check out these NBA Fun Facts ahead of this week’s games:
- Who is the most underrated (current or former) NBA player? – Steve Francis
- If you had to pick one song to get you motivated before a game, what would it be? – “March Madness” by Future
- If you weren’t a professional athlete, what would you be? – Rapper
- Who is your favorite non-athlete to follow on social media? – Future
- Name a celebrity that you have been told you look like. – Drake
- Who is the most underrated (current or former) NBA player, and why? – Mike Conley
- If you had to pick one song to get you motivated before a game, what would it be? – “My President” by Young Jeezy
- If you weren’t a professional athlete, what would you be? – Accountant
- Who is your favorite non-athlete to follow on social media? – Kevin Hart
- Name a celebrity that you have been told you look like. – Kodak Black
HollywoodLifers, who do you have this week?