All hail Manushi Chhillar, the new Miss World! Miss India just took home the crown, winning the long-running beauty pageant. As she basks in the glory of her win, get to know all about this stunning woman.
1. This beauty queen is a medical student. 118 contestants from all over the earth gathered in Sayna City Arena in Sanya, China on Nov. 18, vying for the prestigious title of Miss World. It would be India’s time to shine, as Manushi Chhillar, 20, defeated all the others to win the 2017 title. This young woman sure is a stunner, but don’t you dare call her a heartbreaker. In fact, she’s quite the opposite. Manushi is a medical student from Haryana. She hopes to one day become a cardiac surgeon, according to The Times of India, and she took a year off from school in order to represent her country at Miss World.
2. Her parents are incredibly smart. Manushi gave love to her folks after her win. “The feeling is still sinking in,” she said. “I’m very excited to make India proud. I’m also looking forward to the year ahead. My parents have always been my pillar of support and having them here tonight by my side has only brought me more strength and joy.”
Her parents, by the way, are both brilliant. Her father is Dr. Mitra Basu Chhillar, a scientist at India’s Defense Research and Development Organization, per The Times of India, while her mother is Dr. Neelam Chhilla, an associate professor and department head of neurochemistry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences.
3. She’s the sixth Indian to win the crown. Manushi’s win was India’s first Miss World victory since 2000, and only the sixth victory in Miss World’s 67-year history. Oh, the last Indian to be named Miss World? Oh, just someone named Priyanka Chopra, 35.
4. She’s lightning on her feet. In addition to being incredibly smart and beautiful, Manushi is also a good dancer! She is trained in Kuchipudi, one of the eight major Indian classical dances, according to the India Times. She has trained under legendary dancers Raja, Radha and Kaushalya Reddy. She even performed the dance in a high school in Sapporo City while on a cultural exchange program with Japan.
5. She believes in giving her mother a raise. Manushi won the “Head To Head” challenge” and the “Beauty With A Purpose” segment, where she spread menstrual hygiene by visiting 20 villages and speaking to at least 5,000 women about the issue. However, it was her answer to the final question that sealed her win. When asked which profession deserved the highest salary, Manushi said mothers deserve a raise.
“When you talk about salary, I don’t think it’s just about cash, but it’s the love and respect you give to someone. I think my mom has always been my biggest inspiration; mothers sacrifice so much for their kids. It is certainly that one profession which deserves the highest salary, the highest respect and love.”
Congratulations to the new Miss World! HollywoodLifers, are you happy Manushi won?