June 1 is National Nail Polish day, and what better way to celebrate than with an at-home mani! There are some tips and tricks to getting long, strong nails and chip proof color — read them from a celebrity manicurist below!
Nail polish giant Essie has declared June 1, 2017 the first official National Nail Polish Day! We love any “holiday” that gives us an excuse to paint our nails at our desk! I feel like nails take an extra beating in the summer, especially if you are hanging out at the beach. Sand, salt water, and chlorine in the pool can all damage your perfect manicure. Luckily, celebrity manicurist Chelsea King has worked with stars like Demi Lovato, Adele, Taraji P. Henson and many more and is sharing 7 must have secrets to having perfect nails all summer long.
Chelsea tells HollywoodLife.com:
“1. Going on a vacation and want your mani to last, but don’t like the hassle of gel polish? I love using Dermelect’s Memento Manicure Extender Top Coat, which turns any polish into a gel-like finish. It has all the great qualities of gel — quick drying, long lasting, and high shine– coupled with a peptide-infused formula, but does not require the harsh removal process of a gel manicure.
2. Going in and out of the pool can dry out your skin, so apply a cuticle oil every night to keep your cuticles moisturized and your mani looking fresh. I love Essie’s Apricot Cuticle Oil.
3. Drink tons of water to keep hydrated! If you’re dehydrated, your nails can become dry and brittle, which causes polish to chip quicker.
4. During the summer months we always take extra steps to prevent sun damage, and it’s important to extend that care all the way to your hands! Your hands show the first signs of aging, so I like to use a hand cream with SPF to prevent sun spots and wrinkling.”
“5. White polish during the summer months is my go-to color — it matches everything and makes you look tan! Go for a bright opaque white like Orly White Out.
6. Need a simple nail art look for summer? Go for a bright French tip mani. It’s a fun twist on a classic! Floss Gloss Wavepool is a gorgeous summer blue.
7. Minimal negative space nail art is everywhere at the moment, from the runways to Korean beauty trends! Start with a clean nail and paint a simple line or dot on each finger with a bright shade. Dermelect ‘ME’ in Coat D’Amour, a raspberry rose hue, is a great choice for summer! The minimal design allows for longer wear because you won’t notice chips as you would on a fully colored nail.”
HollywoodLifers, are you excited for summer manicures in 2017?