The midseason premiere of ‘Nashville’ season 5 has arrived! The show returns June 1 on CMT, and you’re going to be seeing a lot of changes. Here’s everything you need to know before sitting down to watch!
1. Is Rayna James really dead? Yes, Rayna is dead. Rayna met an untimely end in a Feb. 2017 episode due to unexpected complications from a car accident. Her loved ones were by her side in her final moments. After months of speculation, Connie Britton, 50, confirmed to our sister site TVLine that she was leaving the show as a series regular.
2. Two major people are joining the show! Nashville is going to pick up about 10 weeks after Rayna’s death, and you’re going to see some new faces. Hart of Dixie star Rachel Bilson, 35, and Empire’s Kaitlin Doubleday, 32, have signed on as new characters. Rachel is playing Alyssa Greene, a music executive who comes to Nashville to help boost sales for Highway 65 Records. Kaitlin will play Jessie Caine, a woman who returns to Nashville after a terrible divorce and losing custody of her son. She’ll find some comfort in Deacon! Could a romance be on the horizon?!
3. The second half of season 5 is going to bring all the drama. The new episodes are full of jaw-dropping moments. In just the midseason trailer alone, Gunnar is held at gunpoint, Avery is getting close to another woman, Juliette struggles to get her career back on track, and Daphne goes down an interesting path after Rayna’s death.
4. Has the show been renewed? CMT has already renewed Nashville for a sixth season. The season will consist of 16 episodes.
5. Will Rayna return in some capacity? Yes! Rayna will appear in episode 9 of season 5. Connie also told TVLine that she’s “totally open to whatever” in regards to more episodes. Flashbacks, please!
Nashville airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET on CMT.
HollywoodLifers, are you going to watch Nashville without Connie Britton? Let us know!