Just because something has lettuce in it does not make it healthy. In fact, at many fast food restaurants, the burgers have less calories than the salads! Find out what to order and where below!
Losing weight is a struggle. It’s time-consuming and confusing. You may think you’re making the right choice by ordering a salad, but at a lot of chain restaurants, some salads have (way) more calories than what you would consider a splurge!
Noom, a weight loss app that has a database of the nutritional info of 58,000 menu items, collected the following data:
– Cosi (Cobb Salad) 720 calories VS Wendy’s (Dave’s Single) 570 Calories
– Wendy’s (Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad) 720 Calories VS Burger King (Whopper) 630 Calories
– Chop’t (Classic Cobb) 670 Calories VS Shake Shack (Single) 550 Calories
– Panera (Fuji Apple Salad) 570 Calories VS McDonald’s (Big Mac) 540 Calories
– Taco Bell (Fiesta Taco Salad – Beef) 745 Calories VS McDonald’s (Quarter Pounder) 530 Calories
Of course, when trying to lose weight, it’s important to look at all nutritional values, not just the calories! But this is a good example of how something you THINK is healthy can be sabotaging your efforts.
When eating a salad, always choose grilled chicken over breaded or fried. Get your dressing on the side so you can control the portion size. Also, opt for a lighter dressing like balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette over something thick and heavy like ranch or blue cheese.
Remember that cheese, croutons, and avocado all add fat and calories to your salad — choose one, not all.
Of course, the calories above are for that item alone — that doesn’t include a soda or fries — and that stuff adds up! Try to balance clean eating most of the time with your favorite treats sparingly.
A better salad option for eating out is the Seasonal Greens Salad from Panera, which is only 180 calories. Add grilled chicken for extra protein.
HollywoodLifers, do you ever order salad at fast food restaurants?