With the 20th anniversary of JonBenet Ramsey’s Dec. 26, 1996 murder quickly approaching, CNN will revisit the cold case with a new special — ‘The Murder of JonBenét’ — on Dec. 13. And with it comes a new interview with JonBenet’s father, John Ramsey. To find out everything you need to know about him, keep reading!
At this time, not much is clear about CNN’s special, The Murder of JonBenet, but based on the trailers that were released, it appears the network had a sit-down interview with JonBenet‘s father, John Ramsey — nearly 20 years after his 6-year-old daughter’s murder. Want to know more about him before the special airs at 9 p.m. ET on Dec. 13? Look below!
1. John Ramsey became one of the prime suspects — along with his wife, Patsy — immediately after JonBenet’s death on Dec. 26. A grand jury wanted to indict John and Patsy, but prosecutors didn’t. So they were eventually cleared as suspects. They were exonerated in 2008, two years after Patsy died of cancer.
2. JonBenet Ramsey was named after her father, John Bennett Ramsey. Her name, however, is pronounced in a French style. (zhawn ben-AY)
3. John Ramsey was the one who found his daughter’s dead body in their basement, the morning after Christmas.
4. John considered suicide after his daughter’s death. “I wanted to escape from the pain,” he revealed to PEOPLE in 2012.
5. John Ramsey remarried one year after his wife’s death. And get this — he briefly dated Natalie Holloway‘s mom, Beth Twitty, before tying the knot with Jan Rousseaux. Natalie vanished in Aruba in 2005, and she is believed to have been murdered.
Sadly, JonBenet Ramsey’s murder still remains a cold case. It has never been solved, and the 20th anniversary of her death falls on Dec. 26, 2016.
HollywoodLifers, will you be watching CNN’s new JonBenet Ramsey special tonight? Tell us below.