Were four U.S. swimmers lying about being robbed and held at gunpoint in Rio!? Police aren’t so sure about the story, but Ryan Lochte is standing by his and his teammates claims — and insists they were victims of this scary crime in a new interview.
Ryan Lochte, 32, did a phone interview with Matt Lauer about this situation on Aug. 17 to defend his story. Matt reiterated what the swimmer told him during the Aug. 18 episode of TODAY, revealing that Ryan insisted, “We wouldn’t make this story up,” and, “We’re victims in this and we’re happy that we’re safe.”
As we previously reported, Ryan and his teammates, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, were accused of lying to the police about being robbed at gunpoint. The four men were banned from leaving Brazil, but by the time the search warrants went out, Ryan was already back home in America.
However, Jack and Gunnar weren’t as lucky — they were pulled off their plane home by authorities on Aug. 17. Because there have been inconsistencies with the swimmers’ stories, they were wanted for further information, but hours later, there has been no update about what officials have found.
Ryan’s story on the TODAY show seems to have changed over the last few days, too. He told Billy Bush on Aug. 14 that the alleged robber held a gun to his head, but when he talked to Matt, he said the gun was just pointed in his general direction. Originally, he also claimed that the guys’ car had been side-swiped, but later on, things changed to the robbery happening outside a gas station bathroom.
We’re not sure what to believe at this point, but we’ll obviously keep updating you as this story develops!
HollywoodLifers, do you think Ryan and his teammates lied about being robbed?