An astounding 33 people were rushed to the hospital after reportedly overdosing on K2, a dangerous synthetic marijuana, in a Brooklyn neighborhood on July 12. A witness called the situation “like a scene out of ‘The Walking Dead'”
An estimated 33 young people were found allegedly abusing and overdosing the synthetic marijuana substance K2 in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn on July 12. Authorities were called to the scene at 9:30am, at the intersection of Broadway and Myrtle Avenue; the spot known as the worst spot for k2 use in New York City, commonly called “K2 Heaven”. The victims were rushed to Woodhull and Wyckohoff hospitals, and all are expected to survive.
Authorities rushed to the intersection when a woman called 911 to report that men were stumbling over themselves, vomiting and urinating in the streets. Some were breathing heavily, and collapsing. Rafael Perez, 50, a worker at a barbershop in the area, said that he saw two people “smoking for maybe 15 minutes,” who then fell in the street. The bad batch is thought to have been sold at Big Boy Deli, at 928 Broadway, which a police source told DNAinfo New York is the “sole distributor” of the drug in the area.
“It was a scene out of The Walking Dead. People were stumbling all over the place,” said neighbor Brian Arthur, 38. “There was a couple of them trying to pick themselves up. One guy couldn’t move at all. They had to pick him up by his pants to put him in the ambulance.”
K2 is considered incredibly dangerous, and many of those who overdosed were listed in serious condition, though all are expected to live after the incident. The drug is a synthetic substance known under the names Spice, AK-47, Geeked up, Smacked, Green Giant Scooby Snax, Red Giant, Mr. Bad Guy, iBlown, and Trippy, according to the NYC Health Department.
“Since the chemicals found in K2 vary from packet to packet, and potency can differ even within one packet, the effects of K2 are unpredictable. People who use K2 may feel fine one time, and become extremely sick the next,” the Health Department warned. Users can feel “extreme anxiety, confusion, paranoia, hallucinations, rapid heart rate, vomiting, seizures, fainting, kidney failure, and reduced blood supply to the heart.
The drug comes in stick form, and is extremely addictive and cheap; one stick costs around $1. Though NYC has outlawed K2 due to the epidemic, Bed-Stuy is still infected with massive drug use, especially around the intersection where the mass overdose occurred. The drug is often sold in bodegas and delis, and on street corners. Residents have had to put up “no smoking k2” signs.
HollywoodLifers, our thoughts are with the people affected by this incident.