It’s a question that has divided Brits all over the land, wherever you’re from and whoever you are, but finally we have answer. Millions of U.K. residents took to polling stations on June 23 to vote whether the United Kingdom should remain a member of the EU or stay in the EU. See what the Brits decided here.
What do you believe? Millions of Brits were posed with the most difficult voting question of their lives, a discussion that has divided the U.K. more than any political parties have ever split the country. On June 23, the people of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland went to the polls to vote on whether the U.K. should leave the EU or remain as an integral member. But what was the outcome?
To fill you in, the UK has been a member of the European Union since 1973. It’s a 28-country economic and political partnership that was created for nations in Europe to lean on each other when times got bad economically, or if there was political unrest. It was also created to encourage trading between the countries that belonged to the EU, thus preventing any potential wars occurring. So why would you want to leave, right?
Well, the results are in and we can tell you that the UK has voted to leave the European Union. To stay in the union had 48.29% of the vote, while leaving the union had 51.71%, according to CNN. So close!
The referendum, which is basically a vote in which everyone of voting age can vote with a “Yes” or “No” answer, was called by British Prime Minister David Cameron who promised to hold one after winning the 2015 general election. He was under pressure from his Conservative MPs and the UK Independence Party, otherwise known as UKIP, who said that the people deserve a right to vote because Britain has changed over the years, and now they have!
HollywoodLifers, how do you feel about the Brexit results? Did you think people of the U.K. should’ve voted to stay in the EU or leave? Tell us what you think below.