Now that Prince’s cause of death has finally been revealed, fans are eager to learn more about Fentanyl, the opiate the singer reportedly overdosed on. To find out everything you need to know, keep reading!
While fans thought they’d find some sort of peace upon learning Prince‘s cause of death on June 2, it only raised more questions. Specifically, fans want to know what Fentanyl is, the opiate the singer reportedly overdosed on.
Fentanyl is a “potent, synthetic opioid analgesic with rapid onset and short duration of action,” according to it’s Wikipedia page, but there’s also a lot more to know about the dangerous drug. See a list of five things below:
1. Fentanyl is narcotic and it can treat severe pain. But it has a high risk for addiction and dependence, which is what happened with Prince.
2. Fentanyl “can cause respiratory distress and death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol,” according to DrugFree.org.
3. Some side effects of the drug include anxiety, dry mouth, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, and more. There are also some more serious side effects.
4. Commons brands of Fentanyl are Duragesic, Abstral, and Subsys. It’s not clear which one Prince was taking, or if he even had a prescription.
5. Fentanyl will now forever be known as the drug that took Prince’s life. So sad.
Prince’s death was very much like Michael Jackson‘s.
“Fentanyl is a synthetic narcotic of high potency — about 100 times more potent than morphine,” Dr. Barry M. Rose, Md., Anesthesiologist at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, California, told HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY. “It can be injected, inhaled, put under the tongue, or used via a transdermal patch.”
“It seems clear that Prince was a long time narcotic user, if not addict,” Dr. Rose added. “From what has been described he also used a mixture of various drugs, including other narcotics. This is a common theme in recent celebrity deaths, including Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Whitney Houston, and others.”
HollywoodLifers, send your thoughts to Prince’s loved ones during this difficult time.