It’s the epidemic that will leave you itching from head-to-toe — super lice! They fed on human blood and live in your scalp and it turns out there’s a strain of lice that’s resistant to over-the-counter treatment in 25 states and counting! Here’s everything you need to know and how you can prevent getting it!
Super lice is here and it’s terrifying. Remember getting checked for lice in grade school and if you got it, you’d go home and have mom comb it out? Well it turns out that there’s new lice that’s mutated and it’s resistant to chemicals called pyrethroids, which is used to kill lice and insects. Now the CDC says that this new strain of lice can’t be killed off with the typical treatment.
Here are the top five things to know about super lice!
1. Lice are parasitic insects that can be found in your eyebrows, head and eyelashes. They lay their eggs at the base of your hair shaft and feed on human blood. They can’t fly and they crawl about your body to get around.
2. Super lice is a type of lice that’s resistant to typical lice treatment which uses the active ingredient permethrin.
3. The main way you get lice is head-to-head contact usually at schools, camp and playgrounds.
4. Ways to know you might have lice are: feeling something moving in your hair. Itching, difficulty sleeping, sores from scratching and a tickling feeling in your hair.
5. The best way to beat super lice is to change your clothes after treatment, wash your sheets, clothes and toys and put in a hot dryer.
Luckily, a new FDA-approved treatment called AirAlle, has been found to be effective in killing super lice but it’ll cost you $170.”We use heated air, and we dehydrate the lice and the eggs in a single treatment,” Claire Roberts, CEO of Lice Clinics America, told KSDK.com. “It takes about an hour, and we guarantee it.”
HollywoodLifers, are you scared of Super Lice? Sound off below!