Saoirse Ronan is already an Oscar frontrunner for her amazing performance in ‘Lady Bird.’ Before the actress hosts ‘SNL’ on Dec. 2, get up to speed on all things Saoirse!
It’s hard to believe that Saoirse Ronan is only 23 years old, because she has already achieved so much in her acting career. The American-Irish actress gaining so much Oscar buzz for her role in Lady Bird. The starlet is set to host Saturday Night Live on Dec. 2 with musical guests U2. Here are some fun tidbits about the star you may not know about Saoirse..
1. Her performance in Lady Bird may earn Saoirse her first Oscar. Saoirse is incredible as the titular character in Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut. The movie has broken a Rotten Tomatoes record and beaten Toy Story 2 with most consecutive “fresh” reviews and zero “rotten” reviews against it. Saoirse has already won the Gotham Award for her performance. The movie also stars Beanie Feldstein, Timothée Chalamet, and Laurie Metcalf.
1. Her role in the critically-acclaimed Brooklyn really hit home for her. Starring in Brooklyn was almost like Saoirse’s calling in life. However, her life story was the reverse of the movie, which focused on a young Irish girl starting a new life in America. She was born in the Bronx to Irish parents Monica and Paul Ronan, and later raised in Ireland in County Carlow, then Howth, County Dublin.
2. She rose to fame because of Atonement. At the tender age of 12, Saoirse auditioned for a role in Atonement, a movie that would change her life forever and make her one of the most sought-after young actresses in Hollywood. She was nominated for an Oscar, BAFTA, and a Golden for her performance as Briony Tallis.
3. In another life, she could’ve been in a Harry Potter movie. When Saoirse was relatively unknown, with just a couple of TV credits to her name on an Irish TV shows called The Clinic and Proof, she auditioned to play the role of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. However, she lost out to Evanna Lynch in the end.
4. She’s an award winner! While she hasn’t won an Oscar yet, elegant Saoirse has been recognized for her work with a Critics’ Choice Movie Award. She won Best Young Performer at the ceremony in 2010 for role in Peter Jackson’s The Lovely Bones.
5. How do you say her name? Saoirse cleared this one up for herself when she appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show back in January 2016. She told the host, “‘Seer-sha’ is how Irish people pronounce my first name, but I would pronounce it ‘Sir-sha,’ like ‘inertia.’ It’s Irish for ‘freedom.'”
HollywoodLifers, do you think Saoirse deserves to win an Oscar this year? Sound off to us below!