Winter Storm Jonas has pummeled the East Coast with massive amounts of snow in the past 24 hours. At least 10 people have died in the midst of this dangerous blizzard. Here are the latest blizzard 2016 updates!
Stay safe and stay warm! Winter Storm Jonas has arrived, and it’s not holding back. The winter snowstorm has slammed the East Coast with huge amounts of snow, cancelled flights and left hundreds of thousands without power. We have the latest information about this East Coast blizzard right here!
– The National Weather Service has issued a statement for the New York City area, saying that snowfall rates of 2 to 3 inches per hours will hit western Long Island, New York City and northeast New Jersey. Wind gusts up to 50 MPH are possible.
– The MTA bus service in New York City has been suspended since noon on Jan. 23, according to PIX 11. It will be suspended until further notice. The subways will continue to run. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a travel ban in New York City. All non-emergency vehicles have to be off the roads after 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 23.
– Airlines have cancelled thousands of flights for Jan. 23 and Jan. 24.
– Hundreds of thousands of people are without power as Winter Storm Jonas continues. As of 9 a.m. on Jan. 23, there were 140,000 people in North Carolina without power. Over 17,000 reported without power in South Carolina. Over 90,000 without power in New Jersey and New York.
– Over 50 people have been kicked out of their homes around Atlantic City, New Jersey, because of “significant flooding” due to the blizzard, said Atlantic City’s emergency management director, Vince Jones. He said that high tide and strong winds “really pushed the water up from the ocean onto the streets,” according to CNN.
– The following 11 states have declared states of emergency: Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Virginia and West Virginia. Washington has declared a “snow emergency.”
HollywoodLifers, have you been hit by Winter Storm Jonas? Let us know!