This is so sad. We’re not sure if our hearts will go on, as Celine Dion’s husband, Rene Angelil, has lost his long and strenuous battle with cancer on Jan. 14. Thankfully, he was surrounded by his family and loved ones when he died. In an effort to celebrate his life, we’ve put together a list of things you should know about this wonderful man.
The world is a much lonelier place today, as Celine Dion‘s husband, Rene Angelil, lost his long battle with cancer, his rep confirmed on Jan. 14. Not only was he a lover, manager and mentor to Celine, but he was also so much more over the course of his lifetime. Find out everything you’d want to know about Rene here.
1. Rene had a dying wish. He told Celine he wanted to die in her arms, she told USA Today in August 2015. “I’ll say, ‘You’re scared? I understand. Talk to me about it’ … And René says to me, ‘I want to die in your arms.’ Okay, fine, I’ll be there, you’ll die in my arms,” she told the news outlet.
2. Rene met Celine when she was 12 years old. He is 26 years her senior. Celine later became his third wife, when they married on Dec. 17, 1994.
3. Rene was an avid poker player. He even qualified for the 2005 World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions, according to this Wikipedia page.
Stream music, completely unlimited and ad-free, RIGHT HERE
4. Rene started his career in music as a pop singer. He had some hits in the 1960’s, but eventually he moved on to just managing artists. It was in 1980 that Rene heard Celine’s demo tape and knew she’d become a superstar.
5. Rene had six kids all together from three different marriages.
This is truly heartbreaking. Our thoughts continue to go out to Celine, as well as Rene’s family and friends during this difficult time.