You might recognize him from the CW’s ‘90210’ or as the love interest in Adele’s ‘Hello’ music video. But when he stopped by the HollywoodLife podcast we learned way more about the star of VH1’s new TV movie, ‘The Breaks.’
Mack Wilds is everywhere! The 26-year-old has been on 90210, The Wire and his album, New York: A Love Story received a Grammy nod in 2014. But we have to admit that his best performance to date is in VH1’s hit new movie, The Breaks and he told us all about it and how it actually inspired his new single.
1. What it’s like working with Adele and starring in, “Hello”: “At first glance we knew [“Hello”] was going to be a big deal – it’s Adele! Your first thought is, so how many do you think you’re going to do? 12 million? 20 million? Maybe 30 million [views]? But now we’re at like 800 million views! I’m probably a good 10 million of those. When me and Xavier, the director, first spoke, the main thing on his mind was to make something beautiful – he didn’t even consider it a music video. It was a short film. Adele is amazing, one of her strongest characteristics is how immensely talented she is. I think she doesn’t even fully grasp how talented she is. I know in the singing aspect, but even acting wise. She could possibly touch so many different creative avenues and be amazing at it. Just watching her work and how in love with her art she is, I think that’s probably the most inspiring thing.” (Fun fact: “Hello” is the fastest ever video to hit 1 billion views, taking only 87 days to reach that milestone!)
2. Why you have to see his new movie, The Breaks! “The movie, the VH1 movie, The Breaks, it brings us all back to 1990 in New York. It was when the scene of hip-hop, the hip-hop culture was more of a subgenre and people didn’t think it’d be anything more than a fad. But the love that the younger generation had for it, turned it into what it is today. So I actually play a young DJ and a producer named DeeVee who’s doing anything and everything that he can to make the best music possible. So you get to see how headstrong he is, how he fights with his parents – because you know, everyone is very young. He dropped out of college to pursue his dreams so is father on his head about going on to school, getting the right job…and he doesn’t listen. He goes his own way. I think it’s going to be a really great show that a lot of kids who aspire for things – and just want to change the world – can commiserate with. It shows the struggle to change what people thought was acceptable and what people thought wouldn’t be changed. Hip-hop nowadays seems like the main genre. I feel like hip-hop now is popular culture.”
3. Even though he’s a superstar his family makes sure he stays humble! “I definitely have been, it’s always a good time during the holidays to come back and see my family, my friends – people I’ve grown up with. I definitely get nostalgic, especially around that time so it’s always great to come home. The majority of them do [live in Staten Island]. Yeah, sometimes I stay with my parents, sometimes I stay with other friends, but it’s always funny going back home. Ya know, you get back in your old bed and it’s like, ‘Man. This is crazy!’ You see all of your old posters, it’s fun. It’s crazy but it’s fun!”
4. He has a new album dropping! “If it’s up to me I’m thinking March or April. Right around the corner. We’re pretty much done with the album, just doing my last finishing touches on it. I’m on Epic Records. As of right now, the song that you guys just played in the beginning is the single – love in the 90s. It’s funny because that song was inspired by The Breaks. Originally we wrote the song maybe in January and it didn’t feel right.”
5. The one that got away. “I think we all have that one who, no matter how long ago you guys even broke up, you always wonder ‘what if.’ She is in New York but I think my pride and her pride won’t allow us to speak anymore. I’ve thought about it a thousand times, how she calls a thousand times, I must have thought about it a thousand times … Nah, we still haven’t spoken. But I know she’s seen [Hello] – friends of friends, Instagram, Twitter – you know when people have seen it. I guess that’s the way love goes.”
HollywoodLifers, make sure to check out the movie The Breaks on VH1!