Officials have identified Syed Rizwan Farook as one of the suspected shooters in the horrific San Bernardino massacre, which left 14 dead. What do we know about the suspect?
Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, is the prime suspect in the devastating Dec. 2 massacre in San Bernardino, CA, which killed 14 and injured 17 more. Details are beginning to emerge about Syed, as well as his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 27, who is believed to have carried out the violence alongside him. Both suspects were gunned down by police, however, those who knew them are opening up about the couple. Here are five things to know about Syed.
5. He Worked At the Health Department Where the Attacks Occurred: Syed, who was an American citizen, was an environmental health specialist with the San Bernardino County health department, where the massacre occurred. He had worked at the company for five years, before opening fire at the company’s holiday party.
4. He Had Just Returned From Saudi Arabia: In our xenophobic climate, this could easily be overemphasized, but it’s important nonetheless. This past Spring, Syed travelled to Saudi Arabia, where he stayed for a full month. While there, he reportedly met Tashfeen (online), and they returned to the U.S. as husband and wife.
3. He was a New Dad: This is so sad. Syed and Tashfeen welcomed a daughter just six months ago. The couple reportedly left the baby with Syed’s grandmother on the day of the attacks.
2. Those Who Knew Him Are Shocked: Farhan Khan, Syed’s brother-in-law, spoke out after the attacks to express his dismay. “I have no idea why he would he do something like this,” Farhan told reporters. “I have absolutely no idea. I am in shock myself.” Coworkers also expressed shock, many of whom described Syed as “polite” and “quiet.”
1. A Motive is Not Known: At this time, it is still unclear why Syed and Tashfeen decided to commit the mass murder. Syed had reportedly been at the party for some time, before abruptly leaving– witnesses report that he seemed angry. He returned with Tashfeen and the two entered the building.