Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

San Bernardino Shooting: Married Killers Left Baby With Grandma Before Massacre

Thu, December 3, 2015 12:33pm EDT by 1 Comment
San Bernadino Mass Shooting Suspects
Image Courtesy of FOX News/Handout

Before Syed Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik went on a murderous rampage in San Bernardino, California, that killed 14 and injured 17 more, they reportedly left their 6-month-old baby with its grandmother. Get the details here.

The suspects responsible for 14 lives in the Dec. 2 San Bernardino, Calif., mass shooting were identified as married couple Syed Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27. The pair, who had a 6-month-old daughter together, were killed in a police shootout after their massacring. Syed and Tashfeen left the baby with its grandma prior to their rampage, but the poor infant is now left orphaned.

Syed was attending his office’s holiday party at the town’s Inland Regional Center before joining his wife for their onslaught, and San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said he left “under some circumstances that were described as angry,” according to NBC News. Although it is unclear whether Tashfeen was with their daughter prior to meeting with her husband, Syed’s brother-in-law Farhan Khan told the outlet that they left her with Syed’s mother, telling her that they had a doctor’s appointment. Little did the child’s grandma know that they were not headed to the doctor, but instead were ready to kill — and also that they wouldn’t return for their baby girl.

Farhan said that the grandparents first became concerned about Syed and Tashfeen’s whereabouts when they received a call from the media around 2 p.m. PST. They were asked if they were aware that Syed was a suspect in the shooting, despite being completely unaware of their son’s horrific actions.

After opening fire on the party that Syed had angrily left earlier, leaving 14 dead and 17 others injured, Syed and Tashfeen fled the scene in a black SUV. Authorities were able to track down the vehicle and, nearly four hours following their massacre, Syed and Tashfeen were pronounced dead after a shootout with police.

While Syed’s mother may never know if he and Tashfeen planned to return for their baby, Jarrod pointed out in a press conference that their mass shooting was definitely not spur-of-the-moment. “These people came prepared to do what they did as if they were on a mission,” he said. “They were armed with long guns, not with handguns.”

At least 10 of the injured victims are still in critical condition, and at least five are being treated in Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, Calif., near San Bernardino, NBC News reports. While those who lost their lives in the shooting have yet to be identified, our hearts go out to all of the families affected by this terrible tragedy.