This is absolutely heartbreaking. A father was brought to tears outside the location of the San Bernardino shooting on Dec. 2, as he read aloud texts he received from his daughter, who remained trapped inside the building where three gunman allegedly shot and killed over 14 innocent people.
We can’t even begin to imagine how frightening this must have been. As news broke that three armed gunmen had opened fire at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, Calif. on Dec. 2, a terrified Terry Pettit was moved to tears as his daughter, who remained trapped inside the building with the gunmen, sent him text messages recounting the horrifying crisis: “pray for us.”
All Terry could do outside the offices of the Inland Regional Center was worry. His daughter, who works at the agency for people with developmental disabilities, was trapped inside the building where she was sending him text messages describing the horror happening around her. “Shooting at my work. People shot,” she texted Terry, who immediately broke down into tears as he read them aloud for reporters outside the building.
In another text, Terry’s daughter told her father that she was “locked in an office” where she had been hiding with several other workers “waiting for the police.” She then asked her father to “pray for us.”
— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) December 2, 2015
“She said that someone had come in and started shooting, and they ran into an office and she’s hiding with some other people,” Terry told reporters outside the center, where it is believed that “one to three possible suspects,” opened fire, shot as many as 20 people, and then left.
The San Bernardino Police Department confirmed on Dec. 2 that there was “an active shooter in the area of Orange Show Rd Waterman Ave near Park Center,” according to ABC news. The attack then took place at the Inland Regional Center, where some, like Terry’s daughter, were trapped waiting to be rescued. 14 people were confirmed dead by Jarrod Burguan, the Chief of police. In addition to the casualties, another 17 people were said to be injured during the attack.
The authorities are now reportedly looking for “three white males dressed in military gear,” according to Fox 11 Los Angeles. Eyewitnesses to the attack said that the alleged shooters were wearing body armor, masks, and carrying rifles. When the authorities realized the severity of the situation, the FBI, ATF, and fire department joined the Sheriff’s department on the scene. Triage stations were set up outside the facility for the wounded, and SWAT teams quickly surrounded building. Unfortunately, the attackers allegedly fled in a black SUV and are reportedly still at large. You can keep up to date on this situation by clicking here.
Update: The shooters have been identified as Syed Farook, 28 and his wife,Tashfeen Malik, 27. After fleeing the scene in SUVs, they were tracked to a home in Redlands, California, where they were killed in a shootout with police.
Immediately following the shooting, President Barack Obama sat down for an interview with CBS News in which he was forced to shift his focus from addressing the Paris attacks and climate change to talking about what is now the seventh mass shooting of the past five months. “The one thing we do know is that we have pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world,” he told CBS. He later added, “We should never think that this is something that just happens in the ordinary course of events.”
Our thoughts continue to go out to the victims of this terrible and senseless act of violence.