She’s back, y’all. Miley Cyrus is all set to host the premiere episode of ‘Saturday Night Live’– her third time emceeing the show– and if history is any indication, we are in for a wild night. To prepare, let’s relive some of Miley’s most insane ‘SNL’ moments!
The Queen of the Twerk, Miley Cyrus, returns to 30 Rock on Oct. 3 to host Saturday Night Live for the third time. It’s been nearly two years to the day since Miley last hosted the sketch show, which probably means she’s got some pent up crazy to spread through Studio 8H, right? Right. Since she first stepped foot on that iconic stage back in 2011 (when she still had long, brown hair), to her most recent appearance taking on that infamous Video Music Awards performance, we’ve rounded up some of Miley’s wildest moments. Enjoy!
8. “I’m Sorry That I’m Not Perfect”: Let’s begin with a throwback. In 2011, when Miley first hosted, what qualified as “scandalous” surrounding the Hannah Montana star was very different; she was caught on film smoking something out of a bong, which had the internet up in arms. Meanwhile Tiger Woods and Charlie Sheen were runnin’ around doing God knows what. Miley spoofed the double standard with a perfect song in which she apologized for, simply, not being perfect.
7. “We Did Stop”: In 2013, the country was reeling from the fact that the government was on the brink of shutting down. In what will go down as the sluttiest political satire of all time, Miley donned a blazer and mini skirt to impersonate Michelle Bachmann, while Taran Killam whipped out his Speaker John Beohner. The two politicized Miley’s hit, “We Can’t Stop,” turning it into “We Did Stop.”
6. Girlfriends Talk Show: This recurring sketch featuring Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant as desperate tweens is always hilarious, however, featuring Miley as the too-much-tude Lil’ Teenie, intimidating Aidy to tears, is beyond. Oh, and it features Miley rapping.
5. Disney Channel Acting School: Miley, playing Miley, and Kenan Thompson, playing Raven-Symone, star in an advertisement for the acting school in which Disney stars learn to master their trade. Lessons include “loudness” and “disrespecting authority” because “in the Disney channel world, every child is smarter than adults.”
4. 50 Shades of Grey Auditions: The last time Miley hosted, news of the 50 Shades movie had just been announced, and obviously, they were holding auditions. Miley as Scarlett Johansson as Anastasia Steele was, in a word, perfection. In another word, bizarre.
3. Miley’s Sex Tape: SNL digital shorts are known for being a little weird, but this one took it to a level of, well, kinky. But hey, what else could you expect from a Miley Cyrus sex tape?
2. Miley as Justin: During Miley’s first hosting stint, it was also a more innocent time for her pal, Justin Bieber. In an ironic twist, Miley dropped by recurring sketch “The Miley Cyrus Show,” allowing series regular Vanessa Bayer to play Miley as usual, while Miley meanwhile took on Justin. We have to say the resemblance is, um, uncanny.
1. Miley Mocks the Twerk: In October, 2013, just two months after the foam finger seen ’round the world, the word “twerk” was still floating around the collective conscious with horrifying frequency. Of course, Miley couldn’t appear on SNL without acknowledging that zeitgeist moment– and acknowledge she did. She even donned that mouse leotard again, and then got to discuss her, uh, maturity with her “former self.” Talk about the best of both worlds.
What are your favorite Miley SNL moments? Do you think she makes a great host?
— Casey Mink