‘Unbroken’ Movie: 5 Things To Know
1. The movie is based off a true story.
Author Laura Hillenbrand was the first person to bring Louis Zamperini’s story to life in the 2010 biography Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.
Louis was a former Olympic distance runner who enlisted in the Air Force in 1941. He survived a plane crash in the Pacific Ocean, and spent over a month waiting to be rescued at sea. However, he would spend more than two and a half years as a prisoner of war in a Japanese camp after being captured.
‘Unbroken’ Review: One Of The Best War Films Of The Year
2. Unbroken is another directorial feat by Angelina Jolie.
This is Angelina’s third time directing a movie for the big screen. Her first directing job was a documentary titled A Place in Time. She directed In the Land of Blood and Honey in 2007. The film was nominated for a Golden Globe. Angelina has garnered the biggest buzz for her latest directing vision.
3. Japanese rock star Miyavi makes his movie debut.
This is the first American film for Miyavi (aka Takamasa Ishihara). He is one of Japan’s premier rock stars. However, he did a complete 180 with his stirring performance as the formidable and cruel prison guard Watanabe in the film.
4. Jack O’Connell is a tour de force.
Everyone keeps talking about Jack. The fairly unknown British actor is receiving accolades for his portrayal of Louis Zamperini. Entertainment Weekly dubbed him a “real star on the rise” and called his performance “totally hypnotic.”
5. The real Louis Zamperini died just months before the film’s release.
Louis died 70 years after his death was prematurely announced by the U.S. government as a KIA. He died from pneumonia on July 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, Calif. at the age of 97.
HollywoodLifers, have you seen Unbroken yet? If so, sound off on your thoughts below!
— Avery Thompson
More Angelina Jolie News:
- Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie’s Kids In Suits At ‘Unbroken’ Premiere
- Angelina Jolie’s Run-In With Sony’s Amy Pascal After Diss: Awkward Pic
- Angelina Jolie Dissed: Called ‘Spoiled Brat’ In Sony Hack Emails