The iHeartRadio Music Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, Calif. on May 1 marked the first-ever edition of NBC’s newest live awards show — and it went off without a hitch! Read on for all of the highlights.
Despite it being NBC’s first edition of the show, the iHeartRadio Music Awards on May 1 were not only well-produced and absolutely packed with star power, but they were entertaining, as well! From Billy Ray Cyrus accepting Miley Cyrus’ award for Best Lyrics to Rihanna’s acceptance speech for the Best Fan Army award, read on for all of the highlights from the Shrine Auditorium in LA!
iHeartRadio Music Awards Show Highlights: Billy Ray Cyrus & Michael Jackson
1. It was so sweet when Billy Ray Cyrus accepted Miley Cyrus‘ award for Best Lyrics for her heartbreaking song “Wrecking Ball!” Currently, Miley is recovering from a severe allergic reaction to antibiotics which forced her to put her Bangerz tour on hold. Billy Ray told Miley’s Smilers, “I can’t begin to tell you how much your thoughts, your love, and your support for my family and Miley mean to all of us. Thank you, and God bless each and every one of you.”
2. Michael Jackson wrote “Love Never Felt So Good” in 1983 in a session with Paul Anka and Kathy Wakefield, according to Billboard. Johnny Mathis released a version of the song in 1984, but the performance at the iHeartRadio Music Awards marked the first time that the song would be performed in its tighter, remastered version. (Click for a full rundown of the performance!)
Not only was the first single off of Michael’s first posthumous album, Xscape, fantastic, but Usher appeared to show off his incredible moves! Michael had always had a major influence on Usher as a performer, and it showed — no one was more at home on that stage dancing to Michael than Usher was!
iHeartRadio Music Awards Show Highlights: Rihanna’s Win & Pharrell’s Performance
3. Rihanna‘s acceptance speech for Best Fan Army was soo genuine and heartfelt. Since it was really the Rihanna Navy who had won the award, she thanked them accordingly in a truly touching speech (our favorite part is bolded!):
“This award is for the fans, as they said. It’s not easy, what we do. It’s very difficult at times. It’s a lot of pressure to be a lot of things, and I’ve never felt comfortable being anything other than myself, and I just thank my fans for being supportive, and embracing that, embracing that freedom and that liberation, and we’re a family. We stick together. I love you guys.” […] “When [artists] think about the fans and the people who support us, that’s’ what keeps us going. So, Rihanna Navy, I love you, congratulations, thank you! Navy or die!”
Rihanna would go on to win a total of four awards — including the coveted Artist Of The Year — at the iHeartRadio Music Awards. She is a queen, honestly.
4. Finally, the tribute to Pharrell Williams in honor of his iHeart Innovator award was not only totally deserved, but it was great to watch fellow musicians like Beyonce and Usher as well as mega-personalities like Oprah praise Pharrell for his genius. He then put on an incredible show — a mash-up of his recent greatest hits, like “Happy” and “Come Get It Bae.” (Click for a full rundown of the performance!)
What do you think, HollywoodLifers? What was your favorite moment from the iHeartRadio Music Awards? One of the above? Or another one? Vote above and comment below — tell us your thoughts!
— Amanda Michelle Steiner
More Awards Show Highlights:
- Selena Gomez’s Speech & More 2014 Kids’ Choice Awards Highlights
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Fall, Ellen’s Selfie & More Oscars 2014 Show Highlights
- Beyonce’s Sexy ‘XO’ Performance & More: BRIT Awards Best Moments