It seems like the hair memo for the 86th Annual Academy Awards red carpet called for soft curls and loose waves. They were everywhere! One of our favorite curly looks came from none other than Cate Blanchett. Her blonde waves couldn’t have looked better!
Cate Blanchett, 44, had a look that was absolutely stunning for the 2014 Oscars! She collaborated with celebrity hairstylist, Robert Vetica, for a modern take on retro Hollywood glamour to compliment her nude Armani Couture gown. Find out the exact steps to re-create Cate’s red carpet hairdo right here!
Cate Blanchett At Academy Awards — Retro Hollywood Hair
Cate’s hair was the perfect balance of modern chic and old school glamour. Robert wanted to create a fresh and young hairstyle that highlighted her beautiful skin while offsetting the old Hollywood feel of her gown. We think he nailed it!
Get Cate’s Exact Red Carpet Hair With Vidal Sassoon Pro Series
Here’s how Robert created Cate’s look:
“1. First prep wet hair with a golfball size of Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying throughout the hair for touchable volume, shine and hold.
2. Create a low side part, and then blow-dry hair with HairArt Tourmaline Dryer. Using a 100% boar bristle brush designed by Robert Vetica for Moroccanoil, roll hair away from the face as to not flatten strands while creating bounce. Use the Vidal Sassoon Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse to help keep hair protected against humidity and be sure to blow-dry hair in the front to create soft bangs. Once you have created the desired shape, clip the bangs in place while they cool and then blow-dry the rest of the hair.
3. Once hair is dry, spray each 2-inch section with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to protect hair from heat styling. Then, using a ¾ -inch curling iron, curl hair until midway down and continue to curl around the perimeter of the hair for 10 seconds to ensure a strong set.
4. Using a curling iron, set the ends of the hair starting at the nape of the neck. Once the hair has cooled, brush out the curls to soften the look. While brushing the hair out, backcomb the sides and the ends to ensure flexibility.
5. Next, spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to hold the look.
6. To finish, add a layer of the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Extra Firm Hold Hairspray, and use a pin underneath, so that hair stays close to the side of the head. Take fine sections of hair, backcomb and pin the other section of hair on top to cover up the pin.”
Cate’s Flawless Face — Her Skin Secrets
“Whilst I am sure it would be far more interesting for me to reel off the hundreds of products one might use to get their skin ready for a special event, it really is just SK-II Facial Treatment Essence for me,” Cate reveals. “I have been addicted to SK-II for well over 10 years now and let’s just say some of my Blue Jasmine scenes would have been far more confronting without it.”
“Strangely, I am at a point in my life where I think about my skin far less than I used to and I attribute this to SK-II Facial Treatment Essence. Although I use a number of SK-II products, the continual use of SK-II Facial Treatment Essence has by far been one of the best beauty decisions I could have ever made.”
“Living in Australia where it’s summer at the moment, I like to keep my SK-II Facial Treatment Essence chilled in the fridge. Patting the chilled, nutrient rich liquid on my skin instantly soothes and relaxes me and is most certainly my favorite way to enjoy the product.”
Did Cate have the best beauty look at the Oscars, HollywoodLifers?
— Kindra Bailey
More Cate Blanchett Beauty News:
- Cate Blanchett & Lupita Nyong’o: Oscar-Inspired Manicures
- Cate Blanchett: Pretty In Pink — Get Her Exact Hairstyle
- Cate Blanchett’s Romantic Updo — Get Her Exact Look For Under $10