It’s the last week of auditions and the Jan. 29 episode of ‘American Idol’ did not disappoint. See our top five performances of the night and find out if your favorites made the list! And tell us if you can think of a cooler name than ‘Austin Wolfe.’ We bet you can’t.
We’re almost there, HollywoodLifers! This is the last week of American Idol auditions — are you as excited as we are to get down to it? This season continues to impress with an episode packed with amazing auditions and not too much filler — so, it was especially difficult to narrow down our top five picks for this week, but we managed it! See below to find out if your favorites made the cut! We can tell you right now who did make it — Austin Wolfe — because her name is amazing. But also her voice. (But also her name.)
‘American Idol': 5 Best Auditions From January 29
1. Austin Wolfe, 16, was the first performance of the night with a powerful cover of Imagine Dragons’ “Radioactive.” (Remember their amazing performance at The Grammys?) Keith Urban told her that her pitch was great, and Harry Connick Jr. told her that she’s a “talented lady” — which is a huge compliment from him, as he’s not particularly charmed by the young and talented just for the sake of their being talented beyond their years! Before sending her to Hollywood, Harry lamented his own non-cool name and so Keith dubbed him Austin Wolfe Jr. We like it.
2. Alex Preston, 20, a self-professed “band geek,” delivered an original song — which he acknowledged to be a risky move. However, his risk paid off! We weren’t crazy about the song itself but it really showed off his vocal talents — and the judges agreed, sending him to Hollywood unanimously. (We bet that he and Malaya Watson will have a lot to talk about — both being band geeks, and all.)
3. Lebryant Crew, 24, sang Little Walter‘s “My Babe” and was super charming. Just, literally captivating. We don’t know what else to say! It’s as if we were hypnotized. So were the judges, apparently, since we’ll see more of Lebryant’s charming self in Hollywood!
4. John Mayer‘s “Gonna Find Another You” never sounded so good as it did when sung by Kenzie Hall, 16, who delivered a truly beautiful performance. Jennifer Lopez told her that “she really [has] the whole package” — big words from the Queen of “whole packages!” There’s something really special about Kenzie, and we’re excited to see more from her!
5. What’s better than a well-done Adele cover? The answer is nothing. So, thank you to Tiquila Wilson, 24, who treated the judges to a stunning rendition of “Someone Like You.” In an incredibly leading question clearly fed to him by producers, Harry asked her, as soon as she walked into the room and a propos of nothing, “are you a part of some kind of musical community?” Tiquila replied that yes, along with singing for fun in church, she also sings for work at a funeral parlor. Those things feel very different to us. But anyway, Jennifer said that she knew Tiquila had “it” as soon as she opened her mouth, and we agree! Best of luck to her!
Non-performance idle thoughts: is this the right time to ask if anybody thinks about Brian Dunkleman, co-host with Ryan Seacrest of Idol Season 1 as much as we do? Brian, where are you?! Do you think he watches AI every week? Because we think about that. All the time. Call us, Brian. Tell us all of your thoughts.
HollywoodLifers, which contestant’s audition did YOU love most tonight? Drop a comment with your top pick(s) below! (Also, your best Austin Wolfe name. We like Topeka Jaguare. Dibs.)
— Amanda Michelle Steiner
More ‘American Idol':
- Jennifer Lopez Gushes Over ‘Idol’ Contestant’s Adorable Baby
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Neco Starr Gets A Second Chance At Fame
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: JLo Left Speechless In Detroit By Bryan Watt