What was your favorite audition from the second night of ‘Idol?’ Were you surprised by Tristen Langley’s backstory? See our top five picks, then drop a comment with yours!
American Idol continued its 13th season Jan. 16, bringing us the second night of auditions from around the country. And while the judges — Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. — remained their typical charming selves, the contestants were full of surprises! Certainly, the biggest surprise of the night was that we are officially on our second generation of American Idols! That’s right, the son of a former AI runner-up, Tristen Langley, performed in front of the judges! (We’ll give you a hint — his parent was from Kelly Clarkson‘s season.) See below if he made it to Hollywood and to see our five favorite performances of the night!
‘American Idol’: Our Top 5 Auditions From Jan. 16
1. Megan Miller, 23, sang Carrie Underwood‘s “Last Night.” Harry told her he was worried about when her voice was going to blow out, but she assured them that she’s a “powerhouse.” The judges seemed to agree that her voice will be just fine, so they put her through! Good thing she’s used to playing “4-5 shows a week,” because she’ll be pretty busy very soon!
2. “You’re a pretty guy,” Jennifer told Spencer Lloyd, 19, when he walked onstage. Harry, feeling threatened, joked (?) that he doesn’t like being “upstaged!” Spencer sang Colton Dixon‘s “Never Gone,” but the judges were not convinced about the strength of his voice. Harry, especially, was not keen on putting him through. However, his playing, his looks, and his “sweetness” got him to Hollywood. Spencer, we’re sure you’ll be able to show America that you’re in this competition based on your talent, not your looks! (…But also your looks. You are really pretty. Facts are facts.)
3. Tristen Langley, 15, sang Sublime‘s “Santeria” on guitar and was fantastic! Not only was he a great singer and super charming, but, get this: he’s actually the son of American Idol alum Nikki McKibbon! Remember her? She placed third after Justin Guarini and Kelly Clarkson! As Jennifer put it, we are officially on our second generation of American Idols! Harry was, as expected, utterly unmoved by the backstory. That’s definitely Harry’s style, but he may have been overcompensating by saying “no” to Tristen. No matter, because Jennifer and Keith were on board! We can’t wait to see how this story plays out.
4. We can sense a crowd favorite in Marlon Lindsey, 27, who wowed the judges with his rendition of Bob Dylan‘s “A Change Is Gonna Come.” His backstory, combined with his talent, is what’s going to attract America’s votes: he said that he has wanted to be on American Idol for 8 years, but that he has spent the last 6 years in the U.S. Armed Forces! We appreciate his dedicated service and are looking forward to listening to what he’ll sing next!
5. Harry created a new backstory for beyond-her-years Caitlin Johnson, 15, telling her, “Enough with the practical jokes, American Idol. You’re 32 years old, you’re from New York City, and your name is Beth Goodwin.” Hilarious! We wonder if he’s still got Morgan Deplitch‘s performance on his mind? Anyway, she sang Christina Aguilera‘s version of Etta James‘ “Something’s Got A Hold On Me.” While her vocals were not particularly strong, Keith was the first to put her through, and Jennifer couldn’t seem to resist her puppy dog eyes. Harry told her no, and he may be right on this one, but Caitlin was certainly memorable! Even if she doesn’t make it as the next American Idol, she has a bright future ahead of her, given some more vocal training.
Honorable non-performance mention: Jennifer’s bizarre denim-look crop top. If anybody can pull off a denim-look crop top in 2013, it’s Jennifer Lopez (her stomach did look amazing), but it took a while before we were convinced we weren’t actually watching American Idol Season One. After all, Nikki McKibbon was in front of an AI judges table!
HollywoodLifers, which of tonight’s auditions did you like best? Did you love seeing Nikki again? Should Caitlin have gone through? Drop a comment with your thoughts and top picks below!
— Amanda Michelle Steiner
More ‘American Idol’:
- Jennifer Lopez On ‘American Idol’ — Vote On Her Best Beauty Look
- Harry Connick Jr. Is The Perfect Addition To ‘American Idol’ Season 13
- ‘American Idol’ Premiere Recap: Austin Percario — The New Justin Bieber