Harrison is remaining tight-lipped about reprising the big-screen legend, but a source tells HollywoodLife.com it’s a done deal.
Is Harrison Ford returning to a galaxy far, far away? That’s been the word on the street ever since Lucasfilm — recently acquired by Disney — announced the production of Star Wars: Episode VII. But when we ran into Harrison, 71, at the Ender’s Game premiere Oct. 28 in Los Angeles, he played coy about potentially reprising the iconic role of Han Solo.
“Trick question,” he told HollywoodLife.com, with a smile, when asked if he’d like to revisit any of his former characters on the big screen.
Knowing full well we’d never get a straight answer from the man himself, we did a little digging, and a source close to production gave us the confirmation we were looking for.
“Yes, without a doubt, he is coming back to play the role of Han Solo,” our source told us. “I am pretty sure Harrison hasn’t signed the deal yet, but that is just so people will be kept in secrecy. [Writer JJ Abrams] is excited to have him, and the fans will love it.”
Indeed we will!
George Lucas Talks Luke, Leia & Han’s Return
Of course, this isn’t technically the first time we’ve gotten confirmation of Harrison’s return. During a March 2013 interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, creator George Lucas spilled the beans — and not just about Han Solo!
“We had already signed [Mark Hamill] and [Carrie Fisher] and Harrison — or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation,” George said. “Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them. … I won’t say whether the negotiations were successful or not.”
So it sounds like we might get the whole original trio back on the big screen!
— Reporting by Russ Weakland